Pioneer DV-310 or 410 or 600

sgmane

Hi folks,

Iam looking for Pioneer DVD 310 or 410 series.
I have seen good reviews about 600/610 in this forum and other sites. But i have not seen any reviews on 310 or 410 series.

My requirement: Just to play MP3, CD, DVD movies.
Not looking for hifi features like 1080p upscaling, SCAD etc. Just plain vanilla. (Need to play MP3 too, as my mom listens to devotional songs which are mostly in MP3 format). If this model 310/410 does have some features like upscaling never mind. That's added advantage.

I got the following quote
- National Market (Bangalore)
DV 410 at apprx Rs 5k +
DV 310 at apprx Rs 4k +

- Pro Audiotronics (Bangalore)
310 - 6k
410 - 6500. (Is this true for 410 model as per this thread - http://www.hifivision.com/dvd-players-dvd-hard-disk-recorders/2431-dvd-player-5-6-k.html) (If 410 is not good as per you experts, then i shall go even for 310 if that's good. Else the last option is for 600 bcos of the price) (less than 6k is ok for me!)

So i dont think i shall go for the retailer because its pricy!!

Anyone who can give me leads in bangalore (any other grey mrkt guy or retailer)/chennai. It can be grey market or with bill. If its in chennai its more useful because in case of any problems i can take it for servicing.

From the thread
http://www.hifivision.com/dvd-playe...ders/2465-pioneer-610-dvd-player-chennai.html
I understand i can get the product in grey. Is this the only location
to get the product in grey in chennai?
What about the retailer in chennai? Any leads?

Is there any service centers in chennai?
Is it good to go for pioneer?
If in case i buy from grey market, where do i service it?

Iam not interested in korean products. I already own a philips DVD and as
informed in other thread the life of it is nearing the death path.
So iam not looking into philips. Nor iam looking into Mitashi, Samsung,
onida products. Any other good decent budget players?

Will be plugging into Sony 26" LCD for viewing.

thanks

Hi folks,

Iam looking for Pioneer DVD 310 or 410 series.
I have seen good reviews about 600/610 in this forum and other sites. But i have not seen any reviews on 310 or 410 series.

My requirement: Just to play MP3, CD, DVD movies.
Not looking for hifi features like 1080p upscaling, SCAD etc. Just plain vanilla. (Need to play MP3 too, as my mom listens to devotional songs which are mostly in MP3 format). If this model 310/410 does have some features like upscaling never mind. That's added advantage.

I got the following quote
- National Market (Bangalore)
DV 410 at apprx Rs 5k +
DV 310 at apprx Rs 4k +

- Pro Audiotronics (Bangalore)
310 - 6k
410 - 6500. (Is this true for 410 model as per this thread - http://www.hifivision.com/dvd-players-dvd-hard-disk-recorders/2431-dvd-player-5-6-k.html) (If 410 is not good as per you experts, then i shall go even for 310 if that's good. Else the last option is for 600 bcos of the price) (less than 6k is ok for me!)

So i dont think i shall go for the retailer because its pricy!!

Anyone who can give me leads in bangalore (any other grey mrkt guy or retailer)/chennai. It can be grey market or with bill. If its in chennai its more useful because in case of any problems i can take it for servicing.

From the thread
http://www.hifivision.com/dvd-playe...ders/2465-pioneer-610-dvd-player-chennai.html
I understand i can get the product in grey. Is this the only location
to get the product in grey in chennai?
What about the retailer in chennai? Any leads?

Is there any service centers in chennai?
Is it good to go for pioneer?
If in case i buy from grey market, where do i service it?

Iam not interested in korean products. I already own a philips DVD and as
informed in other thread the life of it is nearing the death path.
So iam not looking into philips. Nor iam looking into Mitashi, Samsung,
onida products. Any other good decent budget players?

Will be plugging into Sony 26" LCD for viewing.

thanks

Hey SGMANE - I recently picked up Pio DV-410 which I am using along with my Hitcahi PJ TX100 projector. I can confidently say that its very good product and rates way above similar priced products from Sony, Samsung Philips etc. May be becoz my earlier Sony didnt have HDMI, but I am seeing so much details now thru my pioneer via DVI output. Its amazing.

I bought grey for 5.2K. Dont worry about the service so much. All major cities have Pioneer and Yamaha service centres (non official). Frankly how much service does a DVDP need, if you take good care. My 2 cents go ahead and buy it. As for 610, i dont see the point of paying more than 1k extra when I dont see playing SACD's and DVD audio in near future. Again thats upto you.

I am assuming you are talking about the 410V model.

If so, the national market prices seem closer to reality. The 410 provides HDMI support that the 310 does not have for a small incremental. Otherwise they both a pretty much the same for audio and video support. Go what your mind says not the heart in this case :)

I wld like to know if we connect 696 with Full HD LCD via HDMI & keep setting 1080i,then can we uscale to 1080p with LCD's scaler?

Converting from 1080i to 1080P will be de-interlacing, not upscaling. Any decent LCD with de-interlacing built in will handle that.

Cheers

Thanks to all you folks.
As specified - iam not looking into 610 as one of you suggested. (Iam only looking into vanilla stuff - so no hifi as of now!!!)
I will have a look at 310, 410 or 696 (as venkat specified).
My particular perference is color BLACK. But i suppose we dont get BLACK in indian market. (Like ipod nano chromatic 4G color RED not available in indian market?)
thanks again.

(Like ipod nano chromatic 4G color RED not available in indian market?)
thanks again.

This may not be the right analogy though I fully understand your point.

The Red was a special line that Apple and few other manufacturers brought out to support the AIDS campaign in Africa. There are limited nos. of these even in teh US. The campaign was issued under the 'inspi(red)' branding.

Oh!!! I did check and they say "Black" color not available. Hunting began again for the color.

Black pioneer models are very difficult to get. I tried my luck twice and both time i got only silver. Reason quoted by the shoppers, black are not region free ;)... and some said pioneer doesn't come in black though i have checked in the website that black is available.

Thanks,Prakash

Hi
Looking at the specs of DV 410 on the webiste, I came across this and I am confused about DTS.

Specs:
Audio Features
DTS 96/24 Decoder No
DTS 5.1-Channel Decoder No
DTS 2-Channel Downmix Output Yes
Digital Output (Dolby Digital, DTS (DVD) MPEG Audio, Linear PCM) Yes

What is the difference between DTS 5.1 decoder and Digital Output - DTS.
I prefer the DTS audio option (if available on the DVD's)

Regards

Hi
Looking at the specs of DV 410 on the webiste, I came across this and I am confused about DTS.

Specs:
Audio Features
DTS 96/24 Decoder No
DTS 5.1-Channel Decoder No
DTS 2-Channel Downmix Output Yes
Digital Output (Dolby Digital, DTS (DVD) MPEG Audio, Linear PCM) Yes

What is the difference between DTS 5.1 decoder and Digital Output - DTS.
I prefer the DTS audio option (if available on the DVD's)

Regards

The Pioneer's inbuilt audio decoder is not capable of decoding multichannel DTS signals. Insert a DVD and it will show it as 2.1 not 2.1/3 which is the correct format for multichannel decoding.

So what you have to do is set the DVDPlayer to send data as 'raw' or 'bitstream' and allow the AVR to decode the signals.

Cheers

The Pioneer's inbuilt audio decoder is not capable of decoding multichannel DTS signals. Insert a DVD and it will show it as 2.1 not 2.1/3 which is the correct format for multichannel decoding.

So what you have to do is set the DVDPlayer to send data as 'raw' or 'bitstream' and allow the AVR to decode the signals.

Cheers

@venkatcr - Thanks. I have some more very basic clarifications.

Q1: Do you suggest the onboard DTS decoding with Pio DV610 or if it is better that to let the AVR do the DTS decoding with Pio DV410.
Which is a better method and which would give a better sound output. The AVR to be considered here is Onkyo 605.

Q2: DV410 - If the AVR is decoding the DTS signal, I assume that we select the DTS sound option by switching the surround sound modes in the AVR, correct? Even though we are not able to select DTS audio option in the DVD player, it should be possible in the AVR. Correct?

Q2a: Will this work for all DVD players without DTS de-coding option.

Q3: DV610 - This model decoding DTS signal on the disc, means that we can directly select the DTS audio option from the DVD player, correct?

I hope these questions make sense, or am I completely mixed up :)

Q1: Do you suggest the onboard DTS decoding with Pio DV610 or if it is better that to let the AVR do the DTS decoding with Pio DV410. Which is a better method and which would give a better sound output. The AVR to be considered here is Onkyo 605.

If you connect a DVD Player to the AVR using a digital cable, it really does not matter who does the decoding. I would say, it may be better to let the AVR do the decoding, as it will reduce some of the noise that could creep in when the signals decoded by the DVD go to the AVR. But this is nit picking.

Q2: DV410 - If the AVR is decoding the DTS signal, I assume that we select the DTS sound option by switching the surround sound modes in the AVR, correct? Even though we are not able to select DTS audio option in the DVD player, it should be possible in the AVR. Correct?

Most AVRs will automatically switch to the correct surround mode when they sense signal. But, yes, you can set the AVR to a particular sound format such as Dolby, DTS etc.

Q2a: Will this work for all DVD players without DTS de-coding option.

If you mean that can the AVR decode, yes it can as long as the DVD Player can send the signal in raw format and supports what is called bitstream data transfer. Most DVDPs do this.

Q3: DV610 - This model decoding DTS signal on the disc, means that we can directly select the DTS audio option from the DVD player, correct?

This is a slightly roundabout way of doing this in Pioneers.

In 'Initial Settings', there is a 'Digital Audio Out' option. This in turn has the following options:

Digital Out
Dolby Digital Out
DTS out
Linear PCM Out
MPEG Out
HDMI Out

If you set HDMI as 'Auto', Dolby and DTS cannot be selected. If you set HDMI to 'Off', you can individually set Dolby and DTS. In each of these you the following options:

Dolby Digital / DTS
Dolby Digital / DTS - PCM

If you choose the first option, the DVD Player will send the data in raw format (Bitstream) for the AVR to decode. If you choose the second option, the DVD Player will decode the audio and send it as PCM data. Your AVR has to understand PCM, or the best option is bitstream or raw.

I have explained the Bitstream vs PCM in http://www.hifivision.com/dvd-players-dvd-hard-disk-recorders/3759-pcm-bitstream.html which in turn links to two other threads. Read all of them to understand the details.

Cheers.

Hi,

Have a Pioneer DV 410 and have been trying to overcome the following :-

a. If we insert at USB stick with mp3 songs.. how do we jump to the song numbers we need ?

b. If we use a CD with MP3 songs.. then how do we jump to the song numbers we require ?

c. How do we shuffle the songs by using the remote in case of a USB stick or CD ?

Could not locate anything much on the info manual. Tried pressing the numeric keys on the remote and then ENTER but nothing happens..:rolleyes:

Appreciate your time and inputs

thanks,
mpw

Did you tyr pressing no directly on remote?It works for Onida.
If you have directional keys,pressing down & entering correct track(OK)does the job too.

Did you tyr pressing no directly on remote?It works for Onida.
If you have directional keys,pressing down & entering correct track(OK)does the job too.

spirovious,

thanks for the reply. Nothing happens when i press the down buttin and the correct song number.

What is "Home menu " and what is "System menu ? on the remote ?

mpw

spirovious,

thanks for the reply. Nothing happens when i press the down buttin and the correct song number.

What is "Home menu " and what is "System menu ? on the remote ?

mpw

Can you tell me options in Home menu & system menu?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back