Pioneer Graphic Equalizer - How worth is it?

Absolutely!!

The key with listening to music is that it must sound good to your ears. How its played is only secondary.

Personally I used to read a lot of reviews and make buying decisions based on them. Then I realized that reviews make a lot of sense but one must experience the entire cycle of expected change, leading up to them.

For example in this case, you can take 2 approaches:

1) buy the eq, plug it in, use it, try out the rig without it and make a comparison, then take a call on what sounds best to you (but you have to buy the eq to do this :) )

2) listen without it first, try out an eq on winamp to get a feel of how the eq influences music, probably listen to an eq playing at a friends place, take a call on how you like what you hear, without it and with it, then make the buying decision (this is the full cycle)

I can tell you this for sure because I experienced it first hand. Let me tell you my story:

I was using a BPL CWX79 combo system with my 700T speakers for a few years. When money came by, I started thinking about my long standing dream (from my school days) about owning a NAD amplifier. I used to sit and admire their pictures in magazines and read everything I could about them and was convinced that NAD amps were brilliant, if not the best. I spent a lot of my savings and bought a NAD 216thx power amp and 106 preamp. I was expecting the rig to blow me out of this world but to my surprise, when I connected it up and played my first record through it, I was in a state of shock and dis-belief. It sounded so flat and dull compared to my spruced up CWX79 with a $2 external phonostage. I was shattered. A friend suggested that I buy a graphic eq and put it between my NAD 106 preamp and 216thx poweramp. I did just that, got the best of the line Technics graphic eqs from the United States and plugged it in between. The results were even more shocking. It sounded exactly the same as my CWX79 rig.

Damn!! I had spent 32K on the pre/power combo and another 12k on the eq totalling 44k. My CWX79 cost me Rs.6500/- from the BPL showroom and the phonobox cost me Rs.100 ($2 at the time). I had paid all this extra money just to get to where I was already??

I consulted with my Dad, he came and sat down to listen. He asked me to play an old Englebert Humperdinck Decca record on my existing CWX79 rig and then asked me to switch to the NAD rig without the eq and play the same record. Before I lowered the stylus to pay the record on the NAD rig, he told me to forget what system I was listening to, drop all my pre-conveived notions and listen to the music. I then lowered the stylus and my world of music listening was changed for ever. Good old Englebert sounded very life like, as though he was standing in front of us with the mic and singing. What lovely imagery, the music sounded full and large, very realistic, extremely pleasurable, wanted to listen to it more and more. We spent that entire evening listening to record after record on the NAD. Through the evening I realized what a wonderful preamp my 106 is. It had a very pleasant sounding phonostage that cancelled out most of the noise and played only the music. I was completely bowled over. Ever since that day, I've always listened to my NADs and to nothing else. The eq was never used again and gifted away. The CWX79 was also gifted away.

Another lesson I learnt from this is not to jump to conclusions by reading reviews or by listening to friends. Experience the flavour yourself and stick by what you like. Going with a structured approach can save you hearbreaks caused by spending on un-necessary equipment.

Brilliant!!

I see 4 NAD models mentioned in your signature.R they all Amplifiers?

Brilliant!!

I see 4 NAD models mentioned in your signature.R they all Amplifiers?

here are the details with stock pics for your reference:

Nad 402 - legendary tuner from NAD, best tuner, What-Hifi 1994, one of the most significant digital tuners of all time
575140-nad_402_tuner.jpg

Nad 3020 - integrated amp, one of the most significant amplifiers of all time, one of the most significant audio products of all time, perhaps the most famous amplifier of all time
post-32-1235844013.jpg

Nad 106 - preamp, one of the best ever preamps from Nad, legendary phono stage with MM/MC and XLR outputs, gold plated RCAs and headphone socket
272425-nad_106_preamp_xlr_rca.jpg

Nad 216thx - poweramp, one of NAD's most famous poweramps, very popular with cinemas in the 1990s, is a powerhouse with a monoblock design and a terrific powersupply
nad2161003.jpg

Last edited:
here are the details with stock pics for your reference:

Nad 402 - legendary tuner from NAD, best tuner, What-Hifi 1994, one of the most significant digital tuners of all time
575140-nad_402_tuner.jpg

Nad 3020 - integrated amp, one of the most significant amplifiers of all time, one of the most significant audio products of all time, perhaps the most famous amplifier of all time
post-32-1235844013.jpg

Nad 106 - preamp, one of the best ever preamps from Nad, legendary phono stage with MM/MC and XLR outputs, gold plated RCAs and headphone socket
272425-nad_106_preamp_xlr_rca.jpg

Nad 216thx - poweramp, one of NAD's most famous poweramps, very popular with cinemas in the 1990s, is a powerhouse with a monoblock design and a terrific powersupply
nad2161003.jpg
WOW, you have a super set up. I particularly envy your Akai GX 630 Reel deck. Havn't had a reel deck for nearly 15 years after my Akai GX 370 packed up. If you or any other forum members know of one for sale, please PM me.

With due respect to everyone on the forum, I find the advice of experts to be overrated. I have been surprised at how many times I have found myself differing with them once I tried things out.

Music is a lot like food. I love mint and chocolate. It's a heavenly combo as far as I'm concerned. After eights, Mint chocolate chip ice cream, the list goes on, but every friend of mine thinks I'm sort of freak, paying to eat stuff that taste like toothpaste. In the end, there are no absolute truths in this. Find out what works for you. Sometimes it might not be what everyone is saying.

Agree a 100% with you. I am more of a music freak than a hardware addict, so I go solely by what my ears tell me. It's simple..... I listen to a piece of music on a CD or cassete tape ( recorded myself ) or on internet radio with the equalizer off, at low / normal volume. I then turn it on ... and voila, what a difference !!! There is simply no comparison. The former is flat and dull ; the latter alive and vibrant.So, I am a great fan of equalizers and have 2 of them, one vintage one ( ADC SS 100 ) bought from a fellow forum member.

What is your source? CD player or a computer? If from a computer, just try tweaking with the applications eq first and see what band change is actually suiting you. Then if the pioneer has the same bands it's possible that u may have a better control over the freq which u want to boost or drop. This is my opinion and if somebody else can confirm if it makes sense, u can take it into consideration:) if the bands are not there, just wait until u can pick up another one with more bands. With the CDP u will have to listen and identify what u need to modify ( trust your ears, and buy what you need). For eg: A year back I was using a marantz eq between a marantz CD 63 SE and a PM 30 for sometime where I was only using one band -db to lowers sibilance by a littler and the vocals were more realistic. But sometimes i felt that I was missing something. And for that reason, the eq was sold.

WOW, you have a super set up. I particularly envy your Akai GX 630 Reel deck. Havn't had a reel deck for nearly 15 years after my Akai GX 370 packed up. If you or any other forum members know of one for sale, please PM me.

Reel to reel decks, especially Akai Decks are hard to find in great condition. Most of them that come up are old beat up ones, or semi junked ones that have been pulled out of long-term storage in someone's loft and put up for sale as these days, these vintage r2r's have become quite sort after. The GX600 series and GX700 series were signature series of reel decks from the Akai stable from during the 1970s and 1980s. My GX630D is from 1978. Was lucky to get it in brand new condition, with very very little use. The Akai 4000D is one of the very popular and easily available models. Shall definitely let you know if I come across one. Mine was sourced through our forum.

<tried to post hours ago, but my network was screwed.>

A poor EQ box might be the weakest link in the audio chain. That would be a very good reason to get rid of it, but not a good reason to discount EQ altogether. Surely better to use a purpose-designed, quality box to adjust frequencies with some precision rather than to get into this cables-as-tone-controls trial-and-error approximation fashion.

But the purpose of EQ is a to correct problems. If possible, better not to have those problems in the first place! That begins by buying equipment we actually like, that doesn't need sticking-plaster solutions, continues through speaker placement and room treatment, and ends with our own ears --- which are about the only thing that can't be corrected any other way.

So, does EQ have a place in all hifi systems? Absolutely not. It has a place where it is the right tool to solve particular problems, in which case it is an invaluable tool.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back