Pioneer Graphic Equalizer - How worth is it?

jayants

My knowledge about Graphic Equalizer is very limited.Rather I will say I am not a big fan of this.Reason being I have an inhibition that by manipulating on the Graphic I am actually manipulating the actual sound and trying to make it acceptable to what I like to hear. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Now this is a Pioneer Graphic Equalizer GR333 which one of my friend is selling it off and he is asking a price of around 4.5k.According to him this is one of the best manual Graphics available and its a big value for money specially to be added to my Nak Deck

As I don't have much knowledge about it I will appreciate some inputs from ppl here.

Graphic_zps7cd6e6b3.jpg

Reason being I have an inhibition that by manipulating on the Graphic I am actually manipulating the actual sound and trying to make it acceptable to what I like to hear.

I'm not sure what your reservation is. Could you explain?

4.5K is a bit high, but I've seen graphical eq's for sale from 1k to 8k. If he is a friend, he should give it to you for a lot less!

4.5K is a bit high, but I've seen graphical eq's for sale from 1k to 8k. If he is a friend, he should give it to you for a lot less!

Sorry Green-Horn,

He is suppose to give it for Free:eek:hyeah:

Because i use to give it free for my friends who love music a Lot, like me.

If he is in some tight fin situation, then you could pay 1.5 k THE MAX

My reservation is I presume that Graphic Equalisers artificially manipulate the sound by increasing or decreasing the treble or the bass. Its a mental block I have u may say which I will love to stand corrected.

I need to understand whats the use of graphic equaliser and what value addition does it bring to my setup before I procure one.

Using a graphic equalizer is considered Taboo by many, however i would like to play the broad-minded enthusiast here and say that its more of one's personal choice in relation to listening styles and type of music listened to. In addition to this, your listening environment (room) is also a factor.

Personally, I have tried various equalizers in the past and found them to degrade the music more than actually enhancing it. I am saying this even though I play my music with the bass and treble controls turned up.

Listen to it with your rig first, then decide.

Regarding the price, well, these as audio_freek mentioned, are only worth a give-away. For 4.5k, you'd probably get a more profiled equalizer.

On another note, if you have the money and the absolute need, there's no match for the behringer DEQ 2496 ultracurve pro Ultra-High Precision 24-Bit/96 kHz Equalizer, Analyzer, Feedback Destroyer and Mastering Processor. This is by far the best equalizer I've ever heard. I just loved its stereo image enhancing capability.

Behringer: ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496

Last edited:
On another note, if you have the money and the absolute need, there's no match for the behringer DEQ 2496 ultracurve pro Ultra-High Precision 24-Bit/96 kHz Equalizer, Analyzer, Feedback Destroyer and Mastering Processor. This is by far the best equalizer I've ever heard. I just loved its stereo image enhancing capability.

Behringer: ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496

What's the price of this? Any idea?

Ah reubensm,

You looked new comer to me as you have changed your avatar. For a moment it was like, who is he? Oh! he has 2600+ post ... (then) ... aww reubensm :)

Sorry for the OT humour.

Coming to the topic, IMHO if you listen to Old Indian music, yes, you can get in the chain but while listening most of western music and even latest Indian recording is good to go straight in the chain without equalization.

The mantra is to use equalizer to make the response flat. It is a correcting device not enhancing device.

About price, I have very less idea as I never in the market of equalizer.

Hi Jayants

The price of Beringher ultracurve pro deq2496 is close to 40k-50k.

Behringer ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496: Price, Reviews & Buy online in India - Snapdeal.com

The manual 31 band is available for 7k odd at Lamington Road Mumbai.....XLR connectivity and not RCA.

From personal experience, I feel that an EQ helps to enhance the sound quality and punch...I used Arphi in the past , then switched to Yamaha EQ 70 which I gave to my best friend.....now I use an AVR (Marantz) which has a 9 Band EQ, Bass Treble controls...I couldn't ask for anything more.....

The EQ does make a difference and possibly brings out the full potential of a speaker in terms of performing across all frequencies...

Hope this helps...The Pioneer EQ is good, depending on the condition, you need to quote a fair price.....alternatively if you so badly want an EQ, look at quikr or OLX which would have sellers selling the same

According to him this is one of the best manual Graphics available and its a big value for money specially to be added to my Nak Deck

4.5k for a relic is not value for money. Not when you can get a brand new DNM EQ-104 for similar money and the DNM is superb. I used to own one.

Graphic Equilizer | PRODUCT Category | DNM Enterprise

If you want the absolute best vintage graphic equalizer, look for a used SAE.

Last edited:
Ah reubensm,

You looked new comer to me as you have changed your avatar. For a moment it was like, who is he? Oh! he has 2600+ post ... (then) ... aww reubensm :)

yes, I am going to get started with my Akai GX630D in the near future, love reel to reel decks so thought i'll move to the spinning reel for a change :eek:hyeah:

What's the price of this? Any idea?

The DEQ 2496 is intended for professional use and hence is expensive. It usually costs between $250 and $300 if purchased in the United States and an extra $50 for its matching microphone. Here's an example on ebay: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Behringer-Ul...l_Processors_Rack_Effects&hash=item461d7b90b1

There have been instances in the past when it has come up on the forum for sale, for example, http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/45358-behringer-pro-eq-dac.html

A few years ago, I had the good fortune of experiencing this unit, when in the United States and I must say that I was very impressed. However, I was never an equalizer guy and hence did not invest in one for myself.

Last edited:
Now this is a Pioneer Graphic Equalizer GR333 which one of my friend is selling it off and he is asking a price of around 4.5k.According to him this is one of the best manual Graphics available and its a big value for money specially to be added to my Nak Deck

Why can people not accept that old stuff, unless it is classic, is worthless?

Is this classic? Well, I don't know, but I seriously doubt it. And, back in the day, I never saw a manual graphic equaliser that didn't develop some problem with one or more sliders. I'd regard something like this in the same way as an old CD player: it might work today, but trouble is inevitable.

So my vote, for what it's worth, is don't buy.

The DEQ 2496 is intended for professional use and hence is expensive.

Behringer is at the big-value-for-money end of the pro market. This box is not only an equaliser, but also a full (with that mic) room-correction system. I know of one in use by a member in Chennai, and he is very happy with the results. I was very tempted when that one came up for sale on the forum, even only from Gadgetitis :eek:.

It would take a lot more saving up for than the box the OP is looking at, but it would give a lot more too. It would give a huge amount more.

I do EQ as required by my ears on the PC, and have not sought an EQ solution for the hifi. Something that doesn't off the room correction might be more afforable.

Last edited:
Jayant,

The biggest equalizer in any listening setup is the room. Electronic equalizers are indeed used to reverse the effect of the room/listening surrounds.

The equalizer you have linked in the first post is a single frequency equalizer with fixed frequency. It will boost/reduce the gain at a particular frequency. The other type is parametric eq where a filter works over a range of frequency instead of just one frequency. You can choose the frequency (Hz), how wide you want the filter (Q) and how much boost/reduction (gain). That is more desirable as you get smooth response instead of just peaks and dips at the equalizing frequencies. The DEQ 2496 is a parametric equalizer. A cheaper alternative is Behringer feedback destroyer 1124p and its usually available for less than 100 USD.

So my vote, for what it's worth, is don't buy.
Especially at that price. Echoing the sentiment that this sort of stuff should be given away. Especially between friends.

4.5k for a relic is not value for money. Not when you can get a brand new DNM EQ-104 for similar money and the DNM is superb. I used to own one.

That, especially coming with a recommendation, looks like a much better deal.

My advice Jayant, start without an equalizer, listen to the music, get a feel of the music played naturally (or with the boost options available with your amp's tone controls).

Only if you still feel the highs, mids or lows are lacking, then think about it. Prefer to audition someone's rig with an equalizer in the mix. I've personally always felt that an eq makes the sound a bit artificial. Good way to get introduced to one is to use the winamp's eq with a decent speaker system on your computer.

Also note that different genres of music have different probable eq settings. You can try out the winamp's eq presets to get an idea of these.

Good way to get introduced to one is to use the winamp's eq

If you have a PC as source, then you can get a very good introduction to what EQ actually does. One of the first things one discovers is that, like cooking or painting, it is not necessarily an easy (or possible) task to turn what is in your head into an actual effect.

I'm actually now experimenting with a "simpler path" in software, but I have been using some sophisticated parametric EQ software and, under Linux, it's free.

My advice Jayant, start without an equalizer, listen to the music, get a feel of the music played naturally (or with the boost options available with your amp's tone controls).

Only if you still feel the highs, mids or lows are lacking, then think about it. Prefer to audition someone's rig with an equalizer in the mix. I've personally always felt that an eq makes the sound a bit artificial. Good way to get introduced to one is to use the winamp's eq with a decent speaker system on your computer.

Also note that different genres of music have different probable eq settings. You can try out the winamp's eq presets to get an idea of these.

Thanks Reubensm.I am always a BIG NO NO for Equalizer but wanted to get the opinions of experts as well.So its not definitely in my mind.Thanks for your inputs as always.

With due respect to everyone on the forum, I find the advice of experts to be overrated. I have been surprised at how many times I have found myself differing with them once I tried things out.

Music is a lot like food. I love mint and chocolate. It's a heavenly combo as far as I'm concerned. After eights, Mint chocolate chip ice cream, the list goes on, but every friend of mine thinks I'm sort of freak, paying to eat stuff that taste like toothpaste. In the end, there are no absolute truths in this. Find out what works for you. Sometimes it might not be what everyone is saying.

With due respect to everyone on the forum, I find the advice of experts to be overrated. I have been surprised at how many times I have found myself differing with them once I tried things out.

Music is a lot like food. I love mint and chocolate. It's a heavenly combo as far as I'm concerned. After eights, Mint chocolate chip ice cream, the list goes on, but every friend of mine thinks I'm sort of freak, paying to eat stuff that taste like toothpaste. In the end, there are no absolute truths in this. Find out what works for you. Sometimes it might not be what everyone is saying.

Absolutely!!

The key with listening to music is that it must sound good to your ears. How its played is only secondary.

Personally I used to read a lot of reviews and make buying decisions based on them. Then I realized that reviews make a lot of sense but one must experience the entire cycle of expected change, leading up to them.

For example in this case, you can take 2 approaches:

1) buy the eq, plug it in, use it, try out the rig without it and make a comparison, then take a call on what sounds best to you (but you have to buy the eq to do this :) )

2) listen without it first, try out an eq on winamp to get a feel of how the eq influences music, probably listen to an eq playing at a friends place, take a call on how you like what you hear, without it and with it, then make the buying decision (this is the full cycle)

I can tell you this for sure because I experienced it first hand. Let me tell you my story:

I was using a BPL CWX79 combo system with my 700T speakers for a few years. When money came by, I started thinking about my long standing dream (from my school days) about owning a NAD amplifier. I used to sit and admire their pictures in magazines and read everything I could about them and was convinced that NAD amps were brilliant, if not the best. I spent a lot of my savings and bought a NAD 216thx power amp and 106 preamp. I was expecting the rig to blow me out of this world but to my surprise, when I connected it up and played my first record through it, I was in a state of shock and dis-belief. It sounded so flat and dull compared to my spruced up CWX79 with a $2 external phonostage. I was shattered. A friend suggested that I buy a graphic eq and put it between my NAD 106 preamp and 216thx poweramp. I did just that, got the best of the line Technics graphic eqs from the United States and plugged it in between. The results were even more shocking. It sounded exactly the same as my CWX79 rig.

Damn!! I had spent 32K on the pre/power combo and another 12k on the eq totalling 44k. My CWX79 cost me Rs.6500/- from the BPL showroom and the phonobox cost me Rs.100 ($2 at the time). I had paid all this extra money just to get to where I was already??

I consulted with my Dad, he came and sat down to listen. He asked me to play an old Englebert Humperdinck Decca record on my existing CWX79 rig and then asked me to switch to the NAD rig without the eq and play the same record. Before I lowered the stylus to pay the record on the NAD rig, he told me to forget what system I was listening to, drop all my pre-conveived notions and listen to the music. I then lowered the stylus and my world of music listening was changed for ever. Good old Englebert sounded very life like, as though he was standing in front of us with the mic and singing. What lovely imagery, the music sounded full and large, very realistic, extremely pleasurable, wanted to listen to it more and more. We spent that entire evening listening to record after record on the NAD. Through the evening I realized what a wonderful preamp my 106 is. It had a very pleasant sounding phonostage that cancelled out most of the noise and played only the music. I was completely bowled over. Ever since that day, I've always listened to my NADs and to nothing else. The eq was never used again and gifted away. The CWX79 was also gifted away.

Another lesson I learnt from this is not to jump to conclusions by reading reviews or by listening to friends. Experience the flavour yourself and stick by what you like. Going with a structured approach can save you hearbreaks caused by spending on un-necessary equipment.

Back