Pioneer sa-606 sounds like crap, right channel only

tompa5

Hi, previously i modded my SA-606 with new LEDs in the VU-meters and after that I havent really had the time to enjoy my amplifier, but now that I do i noticed that the right channel sounds like crap. When i adjust the balance to the right channel it sounds terrible. Doesnt matter what speaker pair i use, A, B or A+B. it doesnt sound at all, it only lets trebble through, it only makes random sounds or it has a scratching sound and so on. What can i do to save this amp? Any ideas anyone?

you might need to recap the amplifier/apply some deoxit or other contact cleaner to the controls
you can find a recap list here
SA-6700 / SA-606 Recap List | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
you might also need to replace some small signal transistors - 2SC458 or 1312 etc if present with the KSC1845FTA

this is a shotgun approach - or you can get a professional to look at it and just change the required parts

Thanks again Greenhorn :)

I bought a can of airduster (compressed air) and a can of dry oil-free cleaning spray.
After that i took my beloved amp apart again and blew all dust and stuff away with the can of compressed air. After that I sprayed the contact spray on to the balance potentiometer and jogged if back and fort for about 50-60 times.

For now it seems to be working. No bad scratching sound, full volume on all speakers.

I'm gonns try again later on and tomorrow to see if this was the magic trick or if it's just temporary :)

Thanks again =)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back