Pioneer SP-PK21BS - Finally decided and booked my speakers !

mav

Guys I wanted to thank all of you for pointing me in the right direction. without this forum's help I wdnt have been able to make an informed decision and wd have ended up buying something that i wd have regretted. I remember I was going in for the Onkyo 3300 or the Harman kardon 133 but thanks to the guidance here I decided to audition them both and when I heard them I knew they were not what i had dreamt music would sound like when coming out of Rs 20k setup. I decided to explore more and finally I have booked the following.

Yamaha 667 AVR and Pioneer SP-PK21BS speaker set.

The Pioneers are a new kid on the block but they have made a stunning debut on the world stage. I was very curious about these speakers ever since cnet declared them even better than the Energy take Classic 5.1 which is a huge thing coming from cnet guys given how impressed they have been with the Energy Takes ever since their launch.

However there was no way I cd audition these speakers in India as I dont think anyone in India has them yet so I asked a friend of mine who stays in US to guide me. He went over to audition the Pioneers and he was so impressed that he ended up buying them for himself right there :eek:hyeah: This guy is an audiophile and he knows his music better than I do so if something could impress him to that extent I knew it was good enough for me. Moreover we share the same taste in music having grown up together so I was even more sure about these speakers.My friend could not stop praising these speakers and said that they are the best speakers he has heard below the $1000 range and that's a big big thing for him to say as he is not the one to use words like these lightly!

To cut a long story short I booked my speakers today in Bombay at a very tempting price and am now eagerly waiting for my AVR and the speakers to reach me. The next 5 weeks wait is going to be so tough :) :)

Would keep you guys updated about it and would also post a detailed review once I get my dream stuff in my hands...

Cheers Guys !

Guys I wanted to thank all of you for pointing me in the right direction. without this forum's help I wdnt have been able to make an informed decision and wd have ended up buying something that i wd have regretted. I remember I was going in for the Onkyo 3300 or the Harman kardon 133 but thanks to the guidance here I decided to audition them both and when I heard them I knew they were not what i had dreamt music would sound like when coming out of Rs 20k setup. I decided to explore more and finally I have booked the following.

Yamaha 667 AVR and Pioneer SP-PK21BS speaker set.

The Pioneers are a new kid on the block but they have made a stunning debut on the world stage. I was very curious about these speakers ever since cnet declared them even better than the Energy take Classic 5.1 which is a huge thing coming from cnet guys given how impressed they have been with the Energy Takes ever since their launch.

However there was no way I cd audition these speakers in India as I dont think anyone in India has them yet so I asked a friend of mine who stays in US to guide me. He went over to audition the Pioneers and he was so impressed that he ended up buying them for himself right there :eek:hyeah: This guy is an audiophile and he knows his music better than I do so if something could impress him to that extent I knew it was good enough for me. Moreover we share the same taste in music having grown up together so I was even more sure about these speakers.My friend could not stop praising these speakers and said that they are the best speakers he has heard below the $1000 range and that's a big big thing for him to say as he is not the one to use words like these lightly!

To cut a long story short I booked my speakers today in Bombay at a very tempting price and am now eagerly waiting for my AVR and the speakers to reach me. The next 5 weeks wait is going to be so tough :) :)

Would keep you guys updated about it and would also post a detailed review once I get my dream stuff in my hands...

Cheers Guys !

congratulations mate.. nice to hear that..finally end of tiresome searching..

I am in a same boat and trying to decide between ETC and Pioneer SP-PK21BS.. but unfortunately I dont have anyone to ask for audition..

1.Is it worth to go for a new model compared to well established model?
2.It is safe to go for a model which is not launched in India and nor chances in near future?
3.what about service part?
4.big size???

I have searched reviews and it has been liberally praised by CNET but every other site has quoted their words..
there are no genuine owner's reviews.
I request you to share your friend's experience in detail as your answer will help me to decide..

may be other members can advise..

@Naimesh, I have posted a link in the speaker section, it is a CNET review for 3 best surround speakers in the business.

Check it out.

Thanks Mate ! :) The cost of speakers is Rs 33,741. Have paid 10% now to book and the rest on delivery.

Thanks Mav,are the speakers 220 or 110 Volts.Can you give me the address of the dealer from where you booked ,would be good if you add the Mobile no too:).i am also buying yamaha 667.

Thanks in Advance:)
Saran

I have searched reviews and it has been liberally praised by CNET but every other site has quoted their words..
there are no genuine owner's reviews.

Home Theater Magazine (the sister publication of Stereophile) had a review, where similarly high opinions about the speakers were expressed. It was a 5-star review, with a "Top recommendation". Not that these titles mean much, but the speakers were praised for having an excellent midrange, neutral treble, and enough bass for music and movies. The subwoofer was not as highly praised as the bookshelves but does the job in a 5.1 configuration. That's all I can remember from the review.

@baijuxavior: Thanks mate. would surely post pics of these babies when I get them :) Gonna be a long wait though !!

@ shaiju_o_thomas : yeah mate.. trying to distract my mind off this waiting by trying not to think of the arrival. Very tough :)

@ kittu1977 : You said it.. muscular and how ! :lol: Thanks bro !

@naimesh: had posted you a long PM.. hope that solved most of the questions. The big size of these speakers is actually a blessing for me because I was never too big a fan of the minuscule ones anyways. I didnt want a lifestyle product.. I just wanted the best sounding speakers within my budget ! also have a look at the link that imgene had posted in his post. I am posting it here for your benefit:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20076109-47/three-awesome-sounding-under-$500-home-theater-speaker-systems/?tag=contentMain;contentAux

@Naimesh, I have posted a link in the speaker section, it is a CNET review for 3 best surround speakers in the business.

Check it out.

Thanks for the link imgene!

Thanks Mav,are the speakers 220 or 110 Volts.Can you give me the address of the dealer from where you booked ,would be good if you add the Mobile no too:).i am also buying yamaha 667.

Thanks in Advance:)
Saran

you can contact dealer at a.singh18@rocketmail(dot)com His contact no is: 08898153922

Oh and here is a tip ;) try and bargain on this price because he is buying the Pioneers in bulk and has managed to get a discount from his source which he has passed on to customers. I cant post the discounted price here because I promised him I wont reveal it but its a bit lower than Rs 33,741 that I had initially booked at :) :)

It has been a good day today .. not often does the price gets 'lowered' after one has booked. Normally its the other way round !

Cheers and wish you the best !

Last edited:
^^. The subwoofer will require power to run it. So check whether it is 110V or 220V. If it is 110v, then increase the wattage of your 110v converter or add another converter to your list.

yes thanks imagene..

finally I booked it too..now waiting for 2 months..

I found out something more about Pioneer SP-PK21BS

read what Mr Andrew Jones(YES ME ANDREW JONES HIMSELF) has to say..http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1278774&page=6 post 158

read what Mr Chris Walker has to say..http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1278774&page=2 post no33
he is a co planner of Pioneer SP-PK21BS
(for those who dont know)..

yes speakers require converter they are 110v..

and by the way today i received my Yamaha rx v1065 from Ebay..it took 11 days to deliver..everything was fine..receiver was in company packing with every accessories..

so yes i can say we can go for ebay global easy buy..Hope it run well..keeping my fingers crossed..

my sincere thanks to all forum members especially Mav, spiro, mr kittu for giving their honest unbiased advices..

@mav I can't forget you dear your opinion was the most precious one..

I want to say one thing to all forum members that mav has quoted exactly same prices what dealer told him so people like acoustics and other should seriously feel sorry for that and these people who are working selflessly and helping people specially like me should be encouraged..

I appreciate your effort spiro..and wish you all the best..!!!!!!

we have a great platform here and we should utilize for our benefit as we still are paying more than double prices than US market..

one last thing not many people are aware of Pioneer SP-PK21BS..It doesn't look good that such a big forum doesn't have opinion about it while whole world is talking about it..

hi mav,

i thought of buying Pioneer SP-PK21BS...
where i can buy this product in india...
and i heard that some sites like amazon r providing free shipping..
and i also heard that it cost $400(INR around 17000)..but u told 33000 rite...i need to know the original rate of this product..Pls reply and help me ....thanks in advance...

hi mav ,

i thought of buying Pioneer SP-PK21BS..
i need to know where i can buy this product in india...
i heard that some sites like amazon r providing free shipping...
and i also heard that it cost $400(INR around 17000)....but i remember that u posted its cost around 33000 ...
so i need to know which is the original rate ..pls reply and help me from this confusion....
thanks in advance....

Last edited:
hi mav ,

i thought of buying Pioneer SP-PK21BS..
i need to know where i can buy this product in india...
i heard that some sites like amazon r providing free shipping...
and i also heard that it cost $400(INR around 17000)....but i remember that u posted its cost around 33000 ...
so i need to know which is the original rate ..pls reply and help me from this confusion....
thanks in advance....

I dont think these speakers are available from amazon or from any other online store as Pioneer retails them directly from its website. One way to order them would be to source them from the Pioneer website to your Borderlinx suite but I dont think Pioneer's website ships to suites so I dont think there are hardly any option for buyers in India for buying them online.

As for the price difference- well in case it was possible to use Borderlinx then you would have to add the Customs duty and the weight surcharge to the cost of $400 - and be advised these are heavy speakers so the weight would surely increase the shipping charges. I took all these factors into account before ordering them through the dealer.

I paid Rs 31,700 for them and I think even if it was possible to order them online the price would have been the same or higher :) Guess I was lucky to get myself a good bargain !!

Hi Mav, and all else on this post. I understand this thread is a little old, but was curious to hear from Mav about his experience with the Pioneer speakers. A.singh@rocket mail is going to get a lot of calls if you have a good review on this.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back