Pioneer Turntable - Attempt to fix/restore from a scrap box

Re: Attempting to ressurect the HMV Turntable

Saket,

My mom told me that the TT is working fine, but it seems she has lost the pin. As I last remember it was a detachable pin on the arm. I dont understand what you mean by "a stylus and cartridge on the tonearm"

I will get it serviced/cleaned, but I wanted to know if I can do the foll:

1. Where in Pune (pref) or Mumbai can I show it to see if it can be checked/serviced.
2. Would it be possible to to have any audio output from it and feed it to my HT system to get a loud sound?
3. Make the arm move back to its resting place automatically after it has reached the end of the LP?

Any one from Pune, please share contacts of any repair expert.

Thanks..
If you fail to find a professional, I can have a look. Can't guarantee it's revival though.

Saket,

My mom told me that the TT is working fine, but it seems she has lost the pin. As I last remember it was a detachable pin on the arm. I dont understand what you mean by "a stylus and cartridge on the tonearm"

I will get it serviced/cleaned, but I wanted to know if I can do the foll:

1. Where in Pune (pref) or Mumbai can I show it to see if it can be checked/serviced.
2. Would it be possible to to have any audio output from it and feed it to my HT system to get a loud sound?
3. Make the arm move back to its resting place automatically after it has reached the end of the LP?

Any one from Pune, please share contacts of any repair expert.

Thanks..

So the good news is that the TT is working fine, but that can be ascertained only when we put up a new 'pin' or the needle or what is also called a 'Stylus'. So, basically, a pin/ needle/ stylus, all are same and its the part that comes in direct contact with the record grooves. The stylus is held by a component (which would be a small, either white or black rectangular thing in your HMVs case) on the record reaching end of the arm. I hope I have put these things in quite simple terms and you may now relate to the components.

Another good news is that the stylus for old HMV players are not expensive and they cost at the max Rs. 50-60 at Kolkata road side sellers. However, bigger shops and online sellers may charge higher.

Also, it would be nice, if you could upload some pics of your TT which will help up putting things better in perspective. Because, still I am assuming it to be a HMV's basic record player.

Regarding your other queries:

1. Guys from Mumbai & Pune can help with proper directions, but be assured, this TT is very easy to repair.

2. Yes, it is possible to take the audio out to an HT. If you are a DIY types, then all you have to do is to take the cartridge's out directly to Audio-in. But we will to that later, tackling things one by one. However, please do not keep high hopes on sound quality as the player is not a hi-fi.

3. Unfortunately (provided that I am assuming it right to be a basic HMV player), it might not be possible to incorporate an auto-return feature in the turntable.

Do inspect the player yourself and try to post some pics of the player and of the arm so that we can move further on this.

ALSO, please continue the discussion in this thread which will be more relevant: http://www.hifivision.com/phono-tur...p-restoring-old-hmv-fiesta-record-player.html

Regards,
Saket

Last edited:
Not much luck with time, have a lightning visit to Bangalore, come up this weekend and a leadership meeting on Saturday next weekend. So work progresses at a snail's pace.

Here are some pics of the work done so far:

reubensm's Library | Photobucket

Please view the pics in reverse order from bottom row extreme right, working backwards (if particular about sequence)

Last edited:

Saket,

Tonnes of thanks for the help and the explanation.

I will post some pics of it soon..(when I next visit Pune)

Very keen keep it running perfectly well & will service it regularly to lengthen its life. Its the prized possession of my Dad & thus my fondest memory of him. I started loving Pt. Bhimsen Joshi as I started listening to vinyls on this TT, as early as 5 yrs old.

Can you suggest, where in Pune (pref) or Mumbai can I show it to see if it can be resurrected?

If you absolutely can't find anyone else to repair it for you in Mumbai or Pune, try Pandurang (9619816225). His workshop is in Opera House. But be warned that two people I referred him to for turntable repairs came back unhappy. In my case it was a minor repair so I came back a happy customer. I am still mentioning his name despite two bad experiences because he is probably the only person in the whole of Mumbai who undertakes turntable repairs as a profession.

If you absolutely can't find anyone else to repair it for you in Mumbai or Pune, try Pandurang (9619816225). His workshop is in Opera House. But be warned that two people I referred him to for turntable repairs came back unhappy. In my case it was a minor repair so I came back a happy customer. I am still mentioning his name despite two bad experiences because he is probably the only person in the whole of Mumbai who undertakes turntable repairs as a profession.

Inorder to repair a turntable, one must be very familiar with the format, mechanicals and must have access to spare parts. If one of these ingredients are missing, then the customer is likely to be unhappy. Many repairers treat turntables as mechanical devices and repair them accordingly. As a kid I remember, there a guy (considered an expert) who ran a old radio shop in Trivandrum called Raj Electronics. My father used to tell me stories about how he never understood wow and flutter and passed turntable speed for accurate if the turntable made 33 revolutions in a minute :eek:hyeah:

Hi,

I have a Pioneer PL 512, it is fully manual and looks very similar to the photos shared by Reuben. It is a good no nonsense TT and works as it should. Best of luck with the restoration, I know now who to ask in case i develop a snag in mine. :)

Regards

Saket its a Pioneer PL 514X. I just cant thank Reuben enough for this, I had lost all hopes on restoring this TT and was about to start hunting for a new one. I'm sure exciting times are ahead in this venture :)

Not much luck with time, have a lightning visit to Bangalore, come up this weekend and a leadership meeting on Saturday next weekend. So work progresses at a snail's pace.

Here are some pics of the work done so far:

reubensm's Library | Photobucket

Please view the pics in reverse order from bottom row extreme right, working backwards (if particular about sequence)

Mate! You need photography lessons ;). Your shots are OOF (Out of Focus).

Cheers....something additional to catch up on when we meet.

Hi Reuben,

I had the same issue with the cartridge tags, one of the wires on mine got detached just as i was connecting a new cartridge, since i don't have any know how of soldering had to get it done from a mobile phone repair shop. Would request you to put up detailed notes on changing the interconnects as I also wish to do the same. Also how to service the tonearm Lift ? Mine stops just short of maximum (guess oil level is low).

I had a similar looking pioneer cartridge on the TT when i got it, it sounded nice but was unsure of the exact model so did not get a new stylus for the same.

Thanks
I took out the headshell and the first thing which struck me was how poorly the cartridge tags were soldered. There was definitely some dry solder out there. I carefully took the headshell apart and stripped out the headshell wiring. Cleaned all the contacts and properly soldered them back. Got it back on the Technics TT and started spinning some vinyl again...this time, bingo, it worked and it sounded pretty nice. Assume its the original pioneer cart or a cart salvaged from a typical Japanese TT. Not in the same league at the Shure M44-7 but quite musical.

Back after a short break, sat down with the tone arm assembly last night. First thing I noticed that the tone arm board was screwed with non-standard screws. The tone arm pivot needs a closer look as it is a bit shaky. Also, the tone arm does not move freely and does not return to base with comfort. Will look to sit down and aim for closure by tomorrow night. My mother-in-law has not been keeping to well and may have to run her by the hospital this evening. If that happens, the project will get postponed by a day. Shall post pics tonight.

Offtopic....

I'm amazed at your Grundig packing project from the for-sale thread. It's obvious that you work with great dedication, precision and enthusiasm.

Back