Pioneer Turntable - Attempt to fix/restore from a scrap box

reubensm

Hi, had the opportunity to sit down with JK_Chaos on Sunday and spin some vinyl. He also brought along is Pioneer turntable which is in pathetic condition. I'm going to attempt to get this working and restore it to some extent using components and stuff from our electronics scrap box (no expenditure). This is an interesting project so lets see how it goes.

Started work on it on Sunday night itself. To check if the cart was working, I detatched the universal headshell from the Pioneer tonearm and paired it with my Technicsl SL3200, re-calibrated the tonearm (1.5g tracking and 2g anti-skate). On spinning some vinyl (an old testing record), no sound, just some loud humming and crackling sounds.

I took out the headshell and the first thing which struck me was how poorly the cartridge tags were soldered. There was definitely some dry solder out there. I carefully took the headshell apart and stripped out the headshell wiring. Cleaned all the contacts and properly soldered them back. Got it back on the Technics TT and started spinning some vinyl again...this time, bingo, it worked and it sounded pretty nice. Assume its the original pioneer cart or a cart salvaged from a typical Japanese TT. Not in the same league at the Shure M44-7 but quite musical.

Going to work on the plinth, interconnects and most importantly, the turntable brearing assembly next. The bearing assembly is pretty wobbly and needs some work.

Next post by tomorrow (with pics).

Very Interesting thread. I am all ears Reuben for this project. Keep this thread updated. Not a bad idea to post some pics of the TT. This will enable help our imagination and also help the pre & post job comparison.

BTW, what model is it? If its a vintage, then should be a well-made turntable; being a Japanese & then of course a Pioneer!

Thanks,
Saket

Last edited:
Saket its a Pioneer PL 514X. I just cant thank Reuben enough for this, I had lost all hopes on restoring this TT and was about to start hunting for a new one. I'm sure exciting times are ahead in this venture :)

Saket its a Pioneer PL 514X. I just cant thank Reuben enough for this, I had lost all hopes on restoring this TT and was about to start hunting for a new one. I'm sure exciting times are ahead in this venture :)

Looks like a solidly built belt drive system. Wow & flutter (0.055%) figures is good for a belt drive, IMO(??) Wish you guys best of luck for the restoration. Do keep us updated guys.

Regards,
Saket

You wont believe this but the turntable has a belt which had severed and broken ends were glued back togther. Wow!! That's going to be the most challenging part to replace.

You're very welcome Jay, I always go all out to help a vinyl enthusiast. Its not just about the love for the format but also the interest to help anyone who is interested, embrace it.

Got stuck into the Chennai Superkings game last night, with my elder son. Was teaching him the basics of the game. Hence could not sit down with the TT. Had a look at the turntable and bearing assembly while having breakfast this morning. The bearing assembly and spindle seem to have sunk about half mm into the base of the turntable and hence, the turntable makes partial contact with the plinth while in motion. Also the turntable wobbles over the spindle. Need to take a closer look tonight.

Pics to follow, such posts are worthless without pics after all.

Hey Reuben, that was just a joke, hope you didn't feel offended.
BTW, I will be interested in knowing how do you plan to create some clearance between the plinth and the platter, as you said that it slightly scraps the plinth while rotating.
Actually, sometimes, not always, my turntable's platter also scraps the plinth albeit very slightly. I don't know why it does not happen all the time but at times only. I will like to increase the clearance just a bit. Even less than a mm I guess. Haven't really tried going about it as yet, but what do you reckon...a metal or plastic washer in the spindle?

Regards,
Saket

Hey Reuben, that was just a joke, hope you didn't feel offended.
BTW, I will be interested in knowing how do you plan to create some clearance between the plinth and the platter, as you said that it slightly scraps the plinth while rotating.
Actually, sometimes, not always, my turntable's platter also scraps the plinth albeit very slightly. I don't know why it does not happen all the time but at times only. I will like to increase the clearance just a bit. Even less than a mm I guess. Haven't really tried going about it as yet, but what do you reckon...a metal or plastic washer in the spindle?

Regards,
Saket

Hey, now, I was joking as well, I saw the same post on audiokarma and liked the statement, that's why I used it :)

Hey, now, I was joking as well, I saw the same post on audiokarma and liked the statement, that's why I used it :)

I Googled for the thread and found it:D:D
BTW, any thoughts for the clearance issue? I think we can try those thin plastic washer types.

Hello,

I have an old HMV turntable (suitcase style) that was bought by my dad. we have used it for many years and lately, its not working well.

Can you suggest, where in Pune (pref) or Mumbai can I show it to see if it can be resurrected?

Apart from this, would it be possible to to have any audio output from it and feed it to my HT system to get a loud sound? the speaker that comes with the turntable is a small one, hence limited volume..

Hello,

I have an old HMV turntable (suitcase style) that was bought by my dad. we have used it for many years and lately, its not working well.

Can you suggest, where in Pune (pref) or Mumbai can I show it to see if it can be resurrected?

Apart from this, would it be possible to to have any audio output from it and feed it to my HT system to get a loud sound? the speaker that comes with the turntable is a small one, hence limited volume..

Probably you have the HMV Fiesta made in the 70s. May be you can try your hand at DIY but until you list the particular problem with the TT, it will be difficult to diagnose. Tell us, does the motor spins when you turn it on? Platter rotates? You have any output from speakers? Is there a stylus and cartridge on the tonearm?

Once we get to know the exact condition, I am sure many people here will be able to help you.

Regards,
Saket

The bearing assembly and spindle seem to have sunk about half mm into the base of the turntable and hence, the turntable makes partial contact with the plinth while in motion. Also the turntable wobbles over the spindle. Need to take a closer look tonight.

Do check that the ball bearing at the bottom of the spindle shaft is still there:) The bearing is small and quite easy to forget to put back. When spinning the platter, does it scrape against the top plate?

A sunken spindle could also be caused by a distortion on the thrust plate. And this can be caused in case some heavy weight was placed on the platter. Just thinking aloud:)

Do check that the ball bearing at the bottom of the spindle shaft is still there:) The bearing is small and quite easy to forget to put back. When spinning the platter, does it scrape against the top plate?

A sunken spindle could also be caused by a distortion on the thrust plate. And this can be caused in case some heavy weight was placed on the platter. Just thinking aloud:)

Thanks Joshua, I was thinking on the same lines with regard to the bearning. From the looks of it, this TT has been put together with the intention of selling it off. Some work is required on the arm assembly as well, noticed a bit of wobble in the arm as well. The problem is finding the time to sit down with it because my family committments require me to spend atleast 5 dedicated hours with them in the evenings. Also my little son is so figgity that its hard to do something with him around :lol:

Attempting to ressurect the HMV Turntable

Probably you have the HMV Fiesta made in the 70s. May be you can try your hand at DIY but until you list the particular problem with the TT, it will be difficult to diagnose. Tell us, does the motor spins when you turn it on? Platter rotates? You have any output from speakers? Is there a stylus and cartridge on the tonearm?

Once we get to know the exact condition, I am sure many people here will be able to help you.

Regards,
Saket

Saket,

My mom told me that the TT is working fine, but it seems she has lost the pin. As I last remember it was a detachable pin on the arm. I dont understand what you mean by "a stylus and cartridge on the tonearm"

I will get it serviced/cleaned, but I wanted to know if I can do the foll:

1. Where in Pune (pref) or Mumbai can I show it to see if it can be checked/serviced.
2. Would it be possible to to have any audio output from it and feed it to my HT system to get a loud sound?
3. Make the arm move back to its resting place automatically after it has reached the end of the LP?

Any one from Pune, please share contacts of any repair expert.

Thanks..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back