Pioneer Vsx Lx70 / Denon 3808 / Onkyo 875

Twinkle30

HI EVERYBODY!

Ps. guide me , for which of these AVR is the best suitable for my B&W 700 series .. price wise all are near the same level.. i watch 70% movies 30% audio .. very confused as dont know the credibility of any of these .. but the seller is persuading me to buy PIONEER LX70 as her ranks it as the best one ..

Can anyone HELP ?

Do you have B&W home theator setup i.e. 5.1/7.1 ch or want to pair your B&W 703 floor standers to 7.1 chl AVR and add rest of the speakers later.

Just got an opportunity to compare Pioneer LX70 & Onkyo SR 875. Pioneer has top specs compares to onkyo including network connectivity, but for both music & movies Onkyo is much better, as my ears say :)

Hi All

I have been looking around for a receiver for some time now.
After hearing about the HQV Realta VDO upscaler chip that 875 has, I searched for some reviews.
Just a warning for this model. It gets "very hot" "very quickly".
Some people have advised not to put it inside the cabinet. Others have reported sparks and burn-outs, within few days or hours of usage.
Other A/V comments were excellent.

Regards
Raman

HQV Reon is doing excellent job in Onkyo 875! I've just had it delivered. SD upscaling is excellent (i mean visible difference)

Yes, It does get very hot, but not burning hot if you have proper ventilation or enough room for air circulation in cabinet. This cannot keep in an enclosed cabinet. Shame! i'm changing to open cabinet. Ikea bookshelves that's what for open cabinets :)

Hi All

I have been looking around for a receiver for some time now.
After hearing about the HQV Realta VDO upscaler chip that 875 has, I searched for some reviews.
Just a warning for this model. It gets "very hot" "very quickly".
Some people have advised not to put it inside the cabinet. Others have reported sparks and burn-outs, within few days or hours of usage.
Other A/V comments were excellent.

Regards
Raman

HQV Reon is doing excellent job in Onkyo 875! I've just had it delivered. SD upscaling is excellent (i mean visible difference)

Yes, It does get very hot, but not burning hot if you have proper ventilation or enough room for air circulation in cabinet. This cannot keep in an enclosed cabinet. Shame! i'm changing to open cabinet. Ikea bookshelves that's what for open cabinets :)

How much did you get it for?
I guess it is the European price (Ikea!!)
For me, I would not want my child to fiddle around with the cabinet being open. However I am designing a well ventilated closed cabinet, with a low noise cooling fan at the back.

845 here, US version should be much cheaper. I'm not sure intelliplug stuffs are available in india, but that would be a good idea to manage the power to fan

HI EVERYBODY!

Ps. guide me , for which of these AVR is the best suitable for my B&W 700 series .. price wise all are near the same level.. i watch 70% movies 30% audio .. very confused as dont know the credibility of any of these .. but the seller is persuading me to buy PIONEER LX70 as her ranks it as the best one ..

Can anyone HELP ?

I would recommend the Denon based on my personal experience. You cant always go behind reviews, they can definitely guide you but cant understand your specific and more importantly, your personal requirements! BTW did you check out the Denon's exceptional networking capabilities and that hell of an updated user interface!

Sure, the Onkyo is a good receiver but...

Do I want an ugly over-excited heater in my room? NO
Do I have to cut open my rack to accommodate this fire breathing machine? NO.

If you have a dedicated and air-conditioned HT room and lotta money to spend on electricity, the 875 fits the bill.

Anyways, that was just my opinion. Find below some links that can help you narrow down your selection.

Onkyo 875 vs Denon 3808

My review of the Denon 3808... - Club Polk
(not my review, its just the html tag)

Denon AVR-3808 Review - A/V Receivers

All the best!

REON HQV chip vs Faroudja DCDi - debatable
Audio side of things both receivers use Audyssey MultEQ XT correction/calibration
180w vs 130w
THX vs no THX

Denon cannot wrong in any aspect, but should not rule out Onkyo 875/805 based on their ugly looks & the heat!

Edit: Denon has ethernet interface as well

If you have a dedicated and air-conditioned HT room and lotta money to spend on electricity, the 875 fits the bill.

Last edited:
Sunil, thank you for an informative and perfectly normal response!

About the chipset, both are really good. THX and power ratings could be influents if one is inclined towards such stuff. Regarding looks, hmm...its tricky and imho largely subjective - personally I dont give it much importance (I love the ProAc, my wifi hates it...u got the picture rt? :rolleyes:) Well, the heat is somthing that I would be concerned with! Not to forget the electricity bills; running couple of Primares had made huge holes to my dear ones pocket.

I was just wondering a while back, did I accidentally offend any 875 owners with the way I wrote the above post:confused: Guess I dint, glad there are people like you around.

:)Cheers mate!

Oops! almost forgot - you got a very nice set-up brother. That SVS is a mammoth - not so gentle giant!

Last edited:
oh dear! no mate :). I just got it here, as heat is not a big issue though not sure how this handles Indian weather!

did I accidentally offend any 875 owners with the way I wrote the above post:confused: Guess I dint, glad there are people like you around.

:)Cheers mate!

Thanks. SVS is excellent value for money, if you don't take DIY route.

Oops! almost forgot - you got a very nice set-up brother. That SVS is a mammoth - not so gentle giant!

REON HQV chip vs Faroudja DCDi - debatable
Audio side of things both receivers use Audyssey MultEQ XT correction/calibration
180w vs 130w
THX vs no THX

Denon cannot wrong in any aspect, but should not rule out Onkyo 875/805 based on their ugly looks & the heat!

Edit: Denon has ethernet interface as well

HI suniil
REON HQV chip vs Faroudja DCDi is not debatable.
Reon HQV is far superior.

1) Macroblocking issue is prominent with F DCDi, as for Reon I haven't heard any issues till yet.
2) Reon is generally used in high-end chipsets.

Point 1) is really (macro)blocking my purchase. I love the Denons, but then this DCDi issue came up. Then went on to Yamahas. No Audyssey!!. Then came the best, 875....And now ofcourse its the heat issue...

unleash_me, do u think we would really need an upscaler for a 42inch (precisely Hitachi 42X01A).

Raman

not only the heat issue, there are lot of other issues coming up as well including

a. loud pop while playing DTS-MA track with certain movies [this is only assoicated to new gen Onkyo & yamaha receivers
b. switch back to full volume when you press mute button.
c. access to REON menu is available only via firmware upgrade [if your serial no. ending with p or q series]

HI suniil
Then came the best, 875....And now ofcourse its the heat issue...

:)
Reon HQV is far superior.

Hi Suniil
I was editing my post, before I left for a meeting.
I wanted to refer to Realta chip rather than the Reon chip.
Nevertheless..

...unleash_me, do u think we would really need an upscaler for a 42inch (precisely Hitachi 42X01A)....Raman

No Ram. If I understood your question correctly, I wouldn't insist on an upscaler for a 42inch - provided you are sitting at a comfortable viewing range of min 3-4 meters or 15ft.

In practice only higher screen sizes (50+) demand full HD resolution and associated upscaling.

For a more complicated answer, you can use this http://www.carltonbale.com/ht/calculator/theater_calculator_v3.6.xls

No Ram. If I understood your question correctly, I wouldn't insist on an upscaler for a 42inch - provided you are sitting at a comfortable viewing range of min 3-4 meters or 15ft.

In practice only higher screen sizes (50+) demand full HD resolution and associated upscaling.

For a more complicated answer, you can use this http://www.carltonbale.com/ht/calculator/theater_calculator_v3.6.xls

Thanks unleash_me.
Yes indeed, my seating distance would be slightly > 3 mtrs. But I would be using DTH transmission most of the time. Do you think that there will not be any macroblocking due to signal upscale from 480 to 1080? In AVRs with full HDMI and upscaling, is it possible to switch the upscaling off.

Raman

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back