Planning a TL sub

Yesterday I was discussing with my elder brother about subwoofer placement and his direct to the point reply was - go the " Bose" way of placement. He went on to elaborate that psychology plays a huge role in audio gears and the moment someone even looks at a subwoofer they automatically feels more bass ( even if the subwoofer is turned off). Further he added that if you can find one such location, hide the subwoofer from sight and let the psychoacoustics play it's role.

What are FMs thought on this?.
If its in HT, its easy to pick if SW is on or off.lf SW is paired with good Tower speakers and speakers are set to large,then Towers also do kick bass.With bookshelf or Sats,easy to pick if sw is on or off.

I could finally complete this subwoofer last weekend and attached are some images. I am currently driving this sub using a DNM subwoofer amplifier which is around 60 watts class AB type amplifier. I have crossed them at 150Hz and using the default level. They integrate quite well with my main OB FR driver and the setup took less than 5 minutes to achieve.

I have placed them slightly behind my right speaker and there is around 3.5 feet distance from the front wall. So there is quite a good breathing space for the sub. i initially tried placing them 90 deg w.r.t the front speakers but the bass was suckout. I later tried 0 deg with front speakers the bass improved but not to my satisfaction. I later tried inbetween at around 45 deg and at this position the sub began to sing. Now they sound very tight and very very well integrated with the fronts. The integration is so tight, i hardly feel that the sub is playing. All the bass seem to flow from the front main speaker and the sub completely disappears from the scene.

Now after listening to this sub for over 3 days, i can confidently say that H-frame OB sub is the way to go for small to medium size rooms.

I could finally complete this subwoofer last weekend and attached are some images.

Looks Nice.. Enclosure seems tall..

I have crossed them at 150Hz and using the default level. They integrate quite well with my main OB FR driver and the setup took less than 5 minutes to achieve.

150Hz seems a little high for sub crossover.. But, if you like it, then fine..

We tried an interesting experiment with an Altec604 driver in an Altec 620 (9.0 Cu.ft) box. Left the rear panel open, so the rear wave from the driver fires into the mouth of a 5' tall Altec 816 horn. The horn originally had two 416 drivers in a OB configuration. These drivers were removed so the openings were...OPEN.

Some of the back wave escapes via the two openings (on the 816 horn) but some gets amplified by the horn and returns via the small gap between the box and horn. It sounds crazy. Very balanced low end - the best way I can describe this.
Like this.

I could finally complete this subwoofer last weekend and attached are some images. I am currently driving this sub using a DNM subwoofer amplifier which is around 60 watts class AB type amplifier. I have crossed them at 150Hz and using the default level. They integrate quite well with my main OB FR driver and the setup took less than 5 minutes to achieve.

I have placed them slightly behind my right speaker and there is around 3.5 feet distance from the front wall. So there is quite a good breathing space for the sub. i initially tried placing them 90 deg w.r.t the front speakers but the bass was suckout. I later tried 0 deg with front speakers the bass improved but not to my satisfaction. I later tried inbetween at around 45 deg and at this position the sub began to sing. Now they sound very tight and very very well integrated with the fronts. The integration is so tight, i hardly feel that the sub is playing. All the bass seem to flow from the front main speaker and the sub completely disappears from the scene.

Now after listening to this sub for over 3 days, i can confidently say that H-frame OB sub is the way to go for small to medium size rooms.

Very nice Hari. Now your setup has become a three way.

Hari, I don't want to hijack your thread, so I won't be posting any more pics. Happy to continue the discussion though.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back