Planning for an AVR with EQ for Dual subs - Suggestions please..

elangoas

Hi All,

Planning for an AVR which has the capability of equalizing dual subs.. Very recently acquired two identical subs..

- Looking for the capability of EQ dual subs.
- Don't have a preference for sound signature.
- Will double up for Stereo / Multi-channel.
- Dual HDMI ouput's. (Considering a Projector later)
- 7.2 it is, or a minimum and of course Dts X / Atmos.
- Source for movies/music will be HTPC.
- Not too keen on the latest 4K features, can overlook them.
- Christmas around the corner, will try to grabs sweet deals if any.
- Prefer least expensive ones.

Note : Having experienced the capability of Audyssey Multi EQ XT32 with my previous AVR, my preference would be for the same..It didn't have the Sub EQ HT feature nor i did have identical subs then.. Almost all AVR with Audyssey Multi EQ XT32 carry Sub EQ HT feature that can calibrate the subs down to 10Hz (From the net).. So considering the Denon x3300 on top of my list as it seems to be least expensive.

At the same time, am unaware / don't have any experience with Pioneer MCACC Advanced / Pro (or) Yamaha YPAO flavors.. If any of these DRC have a EQ for dual subs, please share the AVR models & will consider them..

If anyone has hands on experience on EQ a single / dual subs / other speakers with any of these DRC, please share inputs..

Looking forward to your inputs..

What's your budget? You should try the Pioneer 1131 or 930 (930 does not have dts-x). The MCACC pro really works. I got rid of a horrible rumble from my sub using the sub eq.

What's your budget?

Up to 45K max..

You should try the Pioneer 1131

1131 seems to have MCACC Advanced with Subwoofer EQ (1 or 2 subs ?)

or 930 (930 does not have dts-x). The MCACC pro really works. I got rid of a horrible rumble from my sub using the sub eq.

MCACC Pro seem to have "Independent Dual Subwoofer Output", but how easy or difficult is it to tweak?

Got hold of a PDF about Pioneer's MCACC, but not sure if anything has changed after this http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Home/2014_MCACC_Ref_Guide.pdf

Extremely easy to tweak. You could run the auto eq and then do manual correction. I used sweep tones from audiocheck.net and found a particular freq where the room would rumble. I reduced emphasis on that freq range in the subwoofer eq and it is so much better

Multiple subs are equalized differently. Those are meant to have their levels and delays set independently. Then measure and equalize as one output. Audyssey xt32 with subeq also does tge same thing.

If you get an ability to set delays and levels on subs independently, then it simplifies a lot. A cheaper option could be MiniDsp device. Will allow you lot more potential than Audyssey.

Multiple subs are equalized differently. Those are meant to have their levels and delays set independently. Then measure and equalize as one output. Audyssey xt32 with subeq also does tge same thing.

If you get an ability to set delays and levels on subs independently, then it simplifies a lot. A cheaper option could be MiniDsp device. Will allow you lot more potential than Audyssey.

But that would makes two devices to EQ.. AVR for the speakers and MiniDsp for subwoofer alone. In this scenario, what DRC should i consider assuming the flexibility it offers..

From reading i understand that Audyssey XT32 does things very good especially with dual subs, but doesn't offer user customization.. It is only editable with Pro version.

MCACC Pro also seems good with option of tweaking, read that it doesn't EQ the subwoofers below 60Hz (but not very sure).

YPAO RSC - Have no idea.. Some models list Sub EQ, but not sure if it is for one (or) two different subs and i think they are not as good as other when it comes to EQ dual subs..

So it is Audyssey XT32 Vs MCACC Pro Vs Dirac..

My only concern is if that would demand a very good understanding to EQ manually..

Some more digging in to the dual sub EQ, came across this information on YPAO..

Reading thru the actual user experience on this topic,from various threads in different forums is much better than reading the 5 star rated review for an AVR.. It gives you a lot of information on what the user tried & tested..

From AVSforum -

YPAO (2015) only allows down to 31hz EQing, but at least you can customize the PEQ to your preference.

YPAO 2016 will have EQ points down to 16hz, so that pretty much cements the win for YPAO on paper. You can tweak it and down to 16hz, that's what majority of people really ever need.

YPAO Automatic calibration is till limited to 31Hz, while manual has the ability to tweak up to 16 Hz..

From Audioholics -

We are pleased to see that Yamaha put in a significant upgrade per my repeated suggestions. Last year when I met with their engineers at CEDIA to consult about the benefits of low frequency EQ correction, I knew they were serious about making this change. As a result, Yamaha's manual PEQ now works down to 15Hz. In the past it was limited to 31Hz which was ineffective for dealing with very low frequency modal issues that plague most home theater rooms. With this change, Yamaha is enabling advanced users with useful subwoofer EQ correction."

The RX-A2060 is the first model in the lineup that gets you dual subwoofer outputs with independent delay and level settings.

Recently went through a review of Yamaha 1060. It had a heads up over this years Denon x3300. But pricey when compared to the other brands. If you are inclined towards Yamaha aventage series then you should seriously consider the Pioneers lx models they are way ahead when it comes to sound quality. Class D amplification in them are class apart. Pioneer LX59 would be a worthful investment.

One of the below avrs will be a good choice,
1. Denon x3300 7.2 channels | 7.2 Preouts | Audyssey XT32
2. Denon x4200 7.2 channels | 13.2 Preouts | Audyssey XT32 | Sub Containment
3. Yamaha A1060 7.2 channels | 7.2 Preouts
4. Pioneer LX59 9.2 channels | 11.2 Preouts | MCACC Pro
5. Marantz SR6011 9.2 channels | 11.2 Preouts | Audyssey XT32 | Sub Containment

My personal choices would be Denon x4200 or by increasing the budget for Pioneer LX59.

Thanks

Recently went through a review of Yamaha 1060. It had a heads up over this years Denon x3300. But pricey when compared to the other brands

That would be a surprise.. Nothing against Yamaha Aventage, but independent sub EQ starts from RX A 2060 model only as per note from Audioholics...So if one were to use 2 subs, Denon x3300 has the advantage with dual sub EQ than Yamaha RX A 1060..

If you are inclined towards Yamaha aventage series then you should seriously consider the Pioneers lx models they are way ahead when it comes to sound quality. Class D amplification in them are class apart. Pioneer LX59 would be a worthful investment.

Nope.. Not inclined to brands, but efficient Digital Room Correction feature..

Though Pioneer LX models (MCACC Pro) with class D amplification seems to have raving reviews on the net, which have capability of EQ dual subs, looks like is limited to 30Hz..from reading different articles on AVSforum.

One of the below avrs will be a good choice,
1. Denon x3300 7.2 channels | 7.2 Preouts | Audyssey XT32
2. Denon x4200 7.2 channels | 13.2 Preouts | Audyssey XT32 | Sub Containment
3. Yamaha A1060 7.2 channels | 7.2 Preouts
4. Pioneer LX59 9.2 channels | 11.2 Preouts | MCACC Pro
5. Marantz SR6011 9.2 channels | 11.2 Preouts | Audyssey XT32 | Sub Containment

My personal choices would be Denon x4200 or by increasing the budget for Pioneer LX59. Thanks

Would love to get the x4200, but forced to consider Denon x3300 because of budget..

Last edited:
That would be a surprise.. Nothing against Yamaha Aventage, but independent sub EQ starts from RX A 2060 model only as per note from Audioholics...So if one were to use 2 subs, Denon x3300 has the advantage with dual sub EQ than Yamaha RX A 1060..

I would even choose Denon over yamaha for the sound signature unless it is a flagship :licklips:

Would love to get the x4200, but forced to consider Denon x3300 because of budget..

since its last years model you might get at a good price if you wait. Though Denon x3300 is an excellent choice

I would even choose Denon over yamaha for the sound signature unless it is a flagship :licklips:

since its last years model you might get at a good price if you wait. Though Denon x3300 is an excellent choice

Sure.. Will keep an eye on both models and check for good price..

Hi I am a newbie here I am also in a lookout for an AVR. Sir any idea how much the x3300 and marantz NR1607 retails in chennai.

Have been trying to source an AVR with Sub EQ HT with in my budget of 45K, but just in case i don't get it, having dual identical subs and equidistant (Near front left & right room corners) from the listening postion, can i choose an AVR with Audyssey XT?

Would this be equal of what Sub EQ HT tries to achieve with dual identical subs?

Yes. You will have to also match the level.

XT32 matches the level and delay in 2 subs but then does the equalization by treating those subs as one.

What about marantz sr6011 it has also two independent sub pre outs. Can any forum member tell about its sound quality who own it?

Yes. You will have to also match the level.

Thanks.. I read few posts in other forum, but don't think i have got a hold of it clearly, hence seeking clarity (Audyssey XT)

- By level matching the subs, i understand i need to measure 75db at listening position for each sub before Audyssey calibration.
- After the above step is done and assuming the AVR has 2 sub-outs, is it better to run the Audyssey calibration with one single sub, then use a Y-cord on one of the sub-out and connect the other sub.. This way delay is copied to the other sub.

(Or)

- Is it better to connect them independently to each sub-out and calibrate Audyssey? In this method, am not sure if delay will be set correctly..

XT32 matches the level and delay in 2 subs but then does the equalization by treating those subs as one.

Got it.. Clear..

This is how you do it.
Split sub output from receiver and connect to both subs.
From listening position, measure and set each sub at 72db.
Then turn on both subs and check level. It should add up to 75 db. If its lower, adjust phase on one of the subs.

Now, run Audyssey with both subs on.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back