Planning new Home Theater at a new Bungalow

I am still in two minds with this, as I am 50% movie and 50% music buff guy. 5-6 hours music in a day and 3-4 hours gaming or TV series in a day. Now this number will go down when I move to the new house, as I will have lot more stuff to do than music and movies. Gardening, pets, and what not.
Seriously ? All play and no work ?
I envy you ;)

I surely am going to give you a call buddy.

Thank you, I had thought about keeping my old gear and going for a new system. But budget doesn't permit, the whole house with landscaping and stuff is already going to cost me around 45 lakhs. And this doesn't even include the Hometheatre room I planned.

I am still in two minds with this, as I am 50% movie and 50% music buff guy. 5-6 hours music in a day and 3-4 hours gaming or TV series in a day. Now this number will go down when I move to the new house, as I will have lot more stuff to do than music and movies. Gardening, pets, and what not.

I will have very less time for this room compared to what I am used to now, I am still thinking does it make sense to invest in a proper home theatre? 90% of the time it will me only me.

Room with my gear is still on, but should I have it as a theatre or entertainment zone - Music, movies but not hardcore theatre.

Open to ideas and opinions.
I was in the same place about 2 years ago.
Was planning to convert a spare room in my standalone house into a dedicated HT room.
Thats when the pandemic happened and I realized I would also need to use the same room as a dedicated workspace too.

So what I ended up doing yields about 90% of the experience but probably at about 50% of the cost.
Instead of spending on converting the room decor/ furnishing into a dedicated HT room, I kept the decor like a regular room
So long couch instead of recliners, a study desk on the short side /walk in cupboard space , regular lighting instead of theatre lighting etc.

However I also ceiling mounted a Sony projector on one end of the long side , placed the AVR/Int amps, streamer, game console etc in a wall mounted closet and used projection paint.
(and Blackout curtains for day time usage)

Because of the changes , I had to limit myself to about 110” diagonal - but in some ways, I am glad that I went this way because the screen size is more than enough for the two of us
And like you suspect, usage as a dedicated HT also remains rather limited (gets used more for gaming instead by the kid)
its the work desk that gets used far more by I.. so no guilt factor either as the room acts as a multi-purpose space . ..

Just took a couple of pics to give you a sense - do forgive the mess :)
The monitor on the right is a Benq 3280u for scale reference
7EC93499-81F8-4CE5-93C5-5F3DEB636789.jpegBC0F473D-D307-4252-826A-7B34F7FCFDE3.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks a ton @superczar

This is exactly what I have in mind, a den which will house my movie needs, music needs and be work friendly.

I am open to having a dedicated room, but the usage will be pretty limited I feel. And once I move into the new place the tides may shift to 60-40 or 70-30 music-movies.

I am even considering getting a 75inch + TV instead of a projector.

A lot will go into planning this, patience is the key.

Now this number will go down when I move to the new house, as I will have lot more stuff to do than music and movies. Gardening, pets, and what not.
All is not lost, yo! In this case, you should start with multiroom audio. You can do that pretty cheap as you already DIY quite some stuff.

If you are serious about music, see if can have two separates spaces fof the HT and music.
Hifi speaker placement will come in the way if you plan to have both in the exact same location.

I have done this and need to move the stereo speakers out of the way when watching a movie and pulling them back inwards for the music.
It's a pain but I've now gotten used to it.

Your space is large enough to have two separate spaces or have them at 90 deg to each other.

My room is described in this thread.

If you are serious about music, see if can have two separates spaces fof the HT and music.
Hifi speaker placement will come in the way if you plan to have both in the exact same location.

I have done this and need to move the stereo speakers out of the way when watching a movie and pulling them back inwards for the music.

Your space is large enough to have two separate spaces or have them at 90 deg to each other.

Your thread is the reason I am trying to pull out best of both worlds, had motivated me earlier.
Even I am fine to move the speakers, or thinking of getting a motorized screen.

Cannot have 2 rooms, parents will go mad, but I do have enough rooms in the house so will sneek in some 2ch system.

I am still waiting on plans from architects, insisted to have rectangular rooms. Finger's crossed.

Your thread is the reason I am trying to pull out best of both worlds, had motivated me earlier.
Even I am fine to move the speakers, or thinking of getting a motorized screen.

Cannot have 2 rooms, parents will go mad, but I do have enough rooms in the house so will sneek in some 2ch system.

I am still waiting on plans from architects, insisted to have rectangular rooms. Finger's crossed.
Stereo in living room! wink, wink

My room is described in this thread.

You need a wider angle for better stereo performance. In the image the speakers seem to be closer to each other.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back