Planning to build HT component by component

sonics

Hi Friends,

This is my first post and I am an absolute newbie to world of audio visual system.

In past I have bought HTIB systems and not really likes them, yet I repeated the mistake given the low cost involved and less effort to build anything.

Now I am going on my journey to build my own home theatre setup component by component. My budget is still no too high, however I am planning on getting an entry level yet sufficiently powerful (is such thing exists) AV Receiver and two front floor standing speakers.

Here is what I have picked so far (given value for money the driving factor):
1. AV Receiver: Pioneer VSX-531 5.1 (getting for 30K)

2. Floor standing speakers: Given I get above AV Receiver (or similar in price range), which of the following speakers should I go for:

a. Polk Audio TSx330 Tower Speaker Pair, 150w, 2Way, Senstivity 90db (around 32K)

b. Wharfedale Crystal 30.4 Tower Speaker (Pair) 300w RMS Peak Power Output (around 25K)

c. MISSION VX-3 Tower Speaker (Pair) 80w RMS @ 6 Ohms (around 30K)

Major questions in my mind:
1. Would Pioneer 531, able to power these speaker nicely
2. Would it still continue to power other 5.1 Ch speaker as and when I add them
3. Which FS speaker should I pick?

I am mainly interested in watching movies and occasion music (70-30), my room size is around 15x10ft.

p.s. apologies in advance in case I am not able to use technical specs and my requirement clear, I have just started.. will learn.

Cheers
Ashish

Hi Ashish,

Since you are base in Mumbai, go and audition these systems so you get a better understanding of what is available with what features and costing.....

Start shortlisting what appeals to you in connectivity requirements, appearance and performance.

If budget is a constraint, see the For Sale by Owner section or Hi Fi Ads....some nice stuff being sold at reasonable rates......

You can also click on my name and read posts or look in the Home Theatre threads for some suggestions.

All the best!

Thanks Efernand1.

Any recommendations for places in Mumbai where I can find these and get a demo? So far I have been looking online on Hifimart and Ebay.

I will also look in Hifi Ads section.

regards
Ashish :)

My take ...Movies Polk all the way, but if your priority is to use fronts for music more.......then I'd say Wharfedale's ..... none the less, audio is subjective, so final decision should be after auditioning the speakers .. :)

BTW, I have Tsi300 for my HT...:)

Last edited:
Thanks Sam9s..

Does Pioneer VSX-531 has enough power for Polks FS speakers? Which one do you have, if you don'r mind sharing..

Hi

ProFx are dealers of Polk, refer to the location on their website which is close to you...please call before going there.....they also sell Denon and Yamaha AVRs.

Pioneer AVR should be able to drive them, alternative AVRs are Marantz, Yamaha or Denon.

There are many other dealers in Andheri, Bandra, Heera Panna etc....it all depends on what you want and what is your budget.

Last edited:
@sonics

I guess you have approx 60K budget for AVR & Speakers..

As other FM suggested, please try to take as much audition as possible and then you would get a fair idea of what you like..

Alternatively if you are willing to risk the likes of not auditioning, you can buy online from hifimart.com

For 70% movies, and 15 x 10 room, you can skip FS and concentrate on including a subwoofer.

Check this on hifimart.com - Taga Harmony inMOVE 5.1 Home Theater Package

May be a lil more than your budget, but should do good for your requirements..

Hi Friends,

This is my first post and I am an absolute newbie to world of audio visual system.

In past I have bought HTIB systems and not really likes them, yet I repeated the mistake given the low cost involved and less effort to build anything.

Now I am going on my journey to build my own home theatre setup component by component. My budget is still no too high, however I am planning on getting an entry level yet sufficiently powerful (is such thing exists) AV Receiver and two front floor standing speakers.

Here is what I have picked so far (given value for money the driving factor):
1. AV Receiver: Pioneer VSX-531 5.1 (getting for 30K)

2. Floor standing speakers: Given I get above AV Receiver (or similar in price range), which of the following speakers should I go for:

a. Polk Audio TSx330 Tower Speaker Pair, 150w, 2Way, Senstivity 90db (around 32K)

b. Wharfedale Crystal 30.4 Tower Speaker (Pair) 300w RMS Peak Power Output (around 25K)

c. MISSION VX-3 Tower Speaker (Pair) 80w RMS @ 6 Ohms (around 30K)

Major questions in my mind:
1. Would Pioneer 531, able to power these speaker nicely
2. Would it still continue to power other 5.1 Ch speaker as and when I add them
3. Which FS speaker should I pick?

I am mainly interested in watching movies and occasion music (70-30), my room size is around 15x10ft.

p.s. apologies in advance in case I am not able to use technical specs and my requirement clear, I have just started.. will learn.

Cheers
Ashish

ProFx deals in Denon/Yamaha/Polk. So an audition there is a good bet. Denon is probably the most widely available AVR brand in India.
Search and you will find someone putting together a decent package with speakers. Mumbai has a lot of options. Hit the road for auditions.
This is one hobby where online shopping will not work.

BTW, for a room size of 15x10 rethink the idea of Floorstanders. Standmount or Bookshelf speakers may be a better fit. Add a sub at a later date.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks Guys.

I will also consider the Bookshelf pair with Subwoofer considering the small room size. As I demo few system at ProFX and also Reliance Digital, I shall update here.

I will also consider the Bookshelf pair with Subwoofer considering the small room size.
The main benefit is that you can place the sub where you get best bass in the room and place the speakers where you get best soundstage and imaging. Impossible to have that sort of flexibility with floorstanders (unless you're handy with a saw).

The main benefit is that you can place the sub where you get best bass in the room and place the speakers where you get best soundstage and imaging. Impossible to have that sort of flexibility with floorstanders (unless you're handy with a saw).

This comment made me fall my chair. Good one "sdurani"
Cheers,
Raghu

Made some progress and bought AVR, Front speakers and satellite speakers for surround sound. Here are the details:
1. AVR: Yamaha RX-V481
2. Front: Polk RTi A3 Bookshelf
3. Surround: DNM Satellite Speakers

I will be getting them installed tomorrow and will share details and experience subsequently.

I plan to get a subwoofer and center channel speaker in couple of months (earlier if budget allows).

cheers!!

Made some progress and bought AVR, Front speakers and satellite speakers for surround sound. Here are the details:
1. AVR: Yamaha RX-V481
2. Front: Polk RTi A3 Bookshelf
3. Surround: DNM Satellite Speakers

I will be getting them installed tomorrow and will share details and experience subsequently.

I plan to get a subwoofer and center channel speaker in couple of months (earlier if budget allows).

cheers!![/QUITE]

Congrats,good choice. What is the price paid?

Price paid:
1. AVR: Yamaha RX-V481 - 44,000/-
2. Front: Polk RTi A3 Bookshelf - 24,500/- pair
3. Surround: DNM Satellite Speakers - 850/- per piece

Got 1 and 2 from Sanjay Enterprises (Audiomaxx)
3 from DNM Audio

Price paid:
1. AVR: Yamaha RX-V481 - 44,000/-
2. Front: Polk RTi A3 Bookshelf - 24,500/- pair
3. Surround: DNM Satellite Speakers - 850/- per piece

Got 1 and 2 from Sanjay Enterprises (Audiomaxx)
3 from DNM Audio

Please share the pics during installation.

Thanks in advance :)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back