Play back ripped CDs via stereo setup

atharva

I have a bunch of ripped cds (lossless) and want to play them via my stereo setup. I have an external DAC which feeds Lyrita Pre/Power (2A3) that drives the Rethm Maargas.

Sometime back I used the Xtreamer media player but was wondering if there are better options now. It used to be a pain to navigate using the TV to pick the folders/tracks. For convenience I switched to streaming via my mobile using an app and Chromecast but I suspect this is not lossless. Correct me if I'm wrong. One would argue if I can't tell how does it matter? ;) But when listening to new tracks (your not familiar with) its hard to tell what you are missing.

The mobile option would be the best but if not then some player with Optical/Coax that had a display showing the track/folder and could play back via NAS. The display may not be readable from afar but it would be better than turning on the TV.

I suspect there is a simple solution and I'm going to go "I should've thought of that!"

I have a bunch of ripped cds (lossless) and want to play them via my stereo setup. I have an external DAC which feeds Lyrita Pre/Power (2A3) that drives the Rethm Maargas.

Sometime back I used the Xtreamer media player but was wondering if there are better options now. It used to be a pain to navigate using the TV to pick the folders/tracks. For convenience I switched to streaming via my mobile using an app and Chromecast but I suspect this is not lossless. Correct me if I'm wrong. One would argue if I can't tell how does it matter? ;) But when listening to new tracks (your not familiar with) its hard to tell what you are missing.

The mobile option would be the best but if not then some player with Optical/Coax that had a display showing the track/folder and could play back via NAS. The display may not be readable from afar but it would be better than turning on the TV.

I suspect there is a simple solution and I'm going to go "I should've thought of that!"
Fortunately you are in Pune...you can come over and see my playback gears and we can discuss merits demerits of all the options available...give me a ping if you are interested...

Subbu has only digital co-axial input if I remember correctly
No USB
So ideally If you can use raspberry pi with one the Allo digital boards with co-axial output it will be great

You can store all songs in one of the pics at home and make it as DLNA server and raspberry pi will act as a UPNP renderer
Or
Connect a USB HDD to raspberry pi itself

@blackscorpio, @rikhav thanks. Will check these out. So what search terms in Google will throw up these results? Network streamers/players?

Are the prices are high because they have an internal DAC?

Subbu has only digital co-axial input if I remember correctly
No USB
So ideally If you can use raspberry pi with one the Allo digital boards with co-axial output it will be great

You can store all songs in one of the pics at home and make it as DLNA server and raspberry pi will act as a UPNP renderer
Or
Connect a USB HDD to raspberry pi itself

I am using Allo Digione board with rpi3 running volumio and so far this is the best player I have used so far. Music are on a NAS shared using SMB (eliminated DLNA)
and also with recent Tidal integration it's all that one needs. So my vote goes to this.

@rikhav, thanks but prefer a simpler solution. Don't have time for DIY right now.

It's very simple actually if you buy their Player editions, all pre-installed and cased, just plug in and power up and it's running. No additional setup step.

Depending on budget it can be either their newer and pricier Digione Signature board (https://www.allo.com/sparky/digione-signature-player.html#specs ) or the normal Digione ( I am having, it's older from last year and cost less)

But whatever you buy, look at upgradable firmware to support streaming services in order to remain future proof and of course a network player supporting DLNA / UPnP playback as rikhav suggested.

The Allo option is a good solution. You can control it from any browser or a dedicated mobile app.

@spirovious, that won't be any better than the Xtreamer I have. Need to turn on the TV.

@haisaikat / @Kannan, I will take a closer look. But isn't this just another streamer albeit a much superior one for audio ouput? Doesn't this require the TV for display or does the mobile app control it via Wifi? I tried to look for a demo video but couldn't find one.

@Naturelover, aren't those for computer + headphones? Seems impractical to have laptop/PC near your stereo setup or I'm missing something.

@haisaikat / @Kannan, I will take a closer look. But isn't this just another streamer albeit a much superior one for audio ouput? Doesn't this require the TV for display or does the mobile app control it via Wifi? I tried to look for a demo video but couldn't find one

Mobile controls it via wifi, browser based, no separate app required. You can also stream any track from mobile to it if on same network.

The mobile option would be the best but if not then some player with Optical/Coax that had a display showing the track/folder and could play back via NAS.

@Naturelover, interesting. And how do you control it?

Install Kodi on Windows PC. Direct it to read music files from HDD/Nas. Control it via Kodi remote app on Android or iOS.

Install Kodi on Windows PC. Direct it to read music files from HDD/Nas. Control it via Kodi remote app on Android or iOS.

There are many threads on this forum explaining the pros and cons and why dedicated music OS came into existence to augment problems of windows based setups and how windows setup can be optimised to an extent mainly driver / output aspects, process scheduling, jitter and latency reduction, also hardware like soundcard for digital or analogue out

Back