Playing 192Khz Files as a Bit-Perfect stream.

this thread is for Linux.
Kiran, Linux in big letters in the thread title would be a great help to tell which is which --- or, even in small letters! ;) I was confused at first.
Well, you could boot using a USB flash drive too (check 'unetbootin')
Tried it once on my PC, wouldn't boot from USB. Didn't follow it up
I am glad others feel the same as me about Unity. It is such a disaster I wonder why the Ubuntu management went with it...
Ahhh... Shutleworth, I'm afraid. Ego as big as Jobs/Gates/Etc :rolleyes:

Sorry Thad,

I wanted to put all the three together , but by the time I go to windows I could not edit the thread any more. And also felt windows guys don't care about Linux that much :).

We can lure a few of them here by not telling them it's a linux thread ;)

or --- perhaps the mods could help by editing the thread title?

Anyway, always nice to see some Linux audio talk here :)

While on Linux audio Thad - I am curious what you make of the sampling-focused HQPlayer. A trial is available for both Linux and Windows.

It offers several things that high end DACs do - Linear phase, Steep etc...the whole works, along with upsampling and correction of apparent phase errors when doing the upsampling.

Signalyst

Thanks for doing this experiment. I myself was supposed to do it on my PC. I had bought a nice RCA female socket for the purpose but I was too lazy to get going with it.

Have you compared the SQ with Marantz player connected through USB? I was earlier trying to find out if there could be significant difference between.

1. Mobo header- SPDIF- DAC
2. USB - DAC
3. Sound card- SPDIF - DAC and

From some FM's feedback, it appears that 3>2>1. Check here The SPDIF from header suffers lot of EM noises is the general consensus.

While on Linux audio Thad - I am curious what you make of the sampling-focused HQPlayer. A trial is available for both Linux and Windows.
Well, to be honest, I'm curious to know what I think of upsampling, even! I haven't made sense of it so far, in theory or in practice :eek:

Will take a look at that player.

Santy said:
From some FM's feedback, it appears that 3>2>1.
That's certainly how it's supposed to be, and if it isn't, then we are throwing our money away!
The SPDIF from header suffers lot of EM noises is the general consensus.
There's a lot of "general consensus" that comes from assumptions, theory, and even prejudices. How many of those have heard "EM noises?" And of those who find a piece of external equipment to be superior to a piece of internal equipment, how many jump to conclusions as to the reason? "Oh, that'll be the EM noise... the jitter..." Maybe it's just a better piece of kit? Or, if it is noise, maybe a better power supply might have cured it too. I leave that stuff to the people who have probes, oscilloscopes, and stuff, and who know what to do with it. Do systems have jitter? Or do people? :D

Last edited:
Have you compared the SQ with Marantz player connected through USB? I was earlier trying to find out if there could be significant difference between.

Santy,

I could not tell much difference between marantz and MB. I used a pretty short cable between the CPU and the dac. I hoped this would reduce the noise. Any way my marantz could not play 192khz file directly.

Kiran.

I might have a look at the trial, but, at first glance of the site, it seems rather complex --- maybe that functionality is good: just stuff I haven't got around to working with yet*.

It fails on my first requirement, though: it doesn't talk to jack. It is also not only not free, it is rather expensive. I guess I've become what some some people call a freetard! :cool:

*I just found some explanatory stuff here, but its bedtime, so saving for another day

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back