playing .mkv with 4K and Atmos

There should be no jitters in movie playback. I always watch a movie from the HDD connected to the Shield and no problems.
Files are 2160p HDR remuxes which most of the time are 50gb plus and some even 70,80gbs.
Two 4TB External HDDs are always connected to the Shield and it works perfect.
I am downloading more Movies to test if its a file specific problem or the playback jitters in all cases

The Tegra X1 processor in the Shield is powerful enough to play those files effortlessly. It plays anything, even a iso image file thrown at it, it plays at ease.

I am ready to experiment more
Would RPi4 + Liberlec+Kodi+Any Torrent Download client serve the entire chain of -
1. Downloading the Torrents directly to HDD connected to RPi4
2. Output 4K and Atmos (passthrough?) from suitable .MKV rips
I use my Windows laptop for downloading movies into a HDD. I then connect the HDD to the RPi4 and use Kodi to play. I use a bare minimum version of Libreelec. Whenever I have tried to install additional apps, I have failed miserably. So I have left it alone.

There's not much help / support we were able to get. First of all choosing the right media player was a bigger task. Since all media player were not supporting all media formats , and finally ended up with Kodi for my HTPC. Kodi works better than other media player but not without issues.

Media player is an issue. VLC, MPC, Leawo - all have issues. The best (and I think only hassle free software) is PowerDVD. The 80$ is certainly worth it. I have to try Kodi on Windows. Will do some day.

Also making it work for all audio support is also not an easy task. I needed to do special tweaks and setup to get proper DTS/DD sound.

That is again an issue with free players. They need umpteen add-ons and dlls to send the right audio code.

One more problem with HTPC to make it work for Netflix , amazon prime . Though i was able to get DTS/DD for netflix with some challenges , still not sure how to make it work for amazon prime.

If you have Windows, this really should not be an issue. Windows audio can transmit all codes. Just go to audio settings and play around with it. The one issue as I said before is that the gain will be low. When you connect the proper HDMI cable, Windows will display the AVR name as an audio output channel. Mine, for example, says 'Marantz HDMI Output'.

There were some handshaking issue before. But with HDMI 1.3 all that is set aside. What you can do is the following:

1. Ensure that all drivers for your Windows HTPC is up to date.
2. Ensure you have a high speed HDMI cable capable of transmitting 4K + HD Audio.
3. Check if your AVR manufacturer has any special needs or drivers to be installed for Windows.

If you ensure these, there should be no issues.

Cheers

well, check out Potplayer for Windows. It provides all types of audio filter customization and video output options. I am using it to get fullscreen video on my dual monitor setup and audio-bitstream pass-thru for atmos audio. After playing around with various media players, PotPlayer is best for atmos playback.

I use my Windows laptop for downloading movies into a HDD. I then connect the HDD to the RPi4 and use Kodi to play. I use a bare minimum version of Libreelec. Whenever I have tried to install additional apps, I have failed miserably. So I have left it alone.
Thanks for the Tips :)

Media player is an issue. VLC, MPC, Leawo - all have issues.
MPC-BE sounds marginally better than MPC-HC. Again choosing perfect LAV filter version is needed for perfect sound.Some versions of LAV filters deliver less dynamic sound.Currently using 0.72 one.

After playing around with various media players, PotPlay
Pot player is really much better sounding free player compared to mpchc, vlc even when only DD/DTS was in the market.Jriver also sounds good and marginally better than PowerDvd to me.

Pot player is really much better sounding free player compared to mpchc, vlc even when only DD/DTS was in the market.Jriver also sounds good and marginally better than PowerDvd to me.
Pot player works through my HTPC pretty well , will need some tweaks for surround sound to work properly but nothing that google can't help, overall Pot player has been the best free option so far

need some tweaks for surround sound to work properly
Potplayer has by default inbuilt audio processing on which sometimes make 5.1 signal convert to stereo even(say aac 5.1).
Its internal codecs do sound good than other players.

The issue with all these free players is that you are left to hit and try. No backup, no support. They will add features when they want. VLC rules the free world, and works well most of the times. If it doesn't, there is nothing much you can do excepting go to one of the forums and cry.

Companies that charge for the software have a definite product plan, and you can talk/communicate with their support team for immediate relief. PowerDVD now supports 8K and all the latest sound codecs.

Tried other .MKV files on my Shield TV Pro and as other members mentioned.. it worked like charm! very smooth!
Sheild TV has been the right solution (and quick) to play the .mkv files to output 4K and Atmos.

I infact installed Transmission client on Shield TV to keep downloading the content in background, I am now working on Rpi based NAS

I am using Zappiti (French company) media player for playing movie files.
It plays all formats of video and audio including Atmos.
This is very interesting. I was just reading about the product. The high end version has won this year's EISA award. Have to look at the single drive One-SE to see if it will meet my requirements.

Bought a Shield Pro 2017,
Amazon Prime is streaming 4K and Atmos titles out of box.

I have setup Plex to play .mkv files (Blu-Ray Rips) ... so far so good.

HDD plugged into Shiled directly is not helping a smooth streaming through, movie jitters in-between

I have been using Shield TV (2017) model for the last two years and never had issues (no jitters) streaming full HD mkv files from a HDD (have not tried 4K sources so far). Are you seeing the jittery playback when using Kodi or a different app? I always use the Kodi app and with the right settings, it bitstreams all audio formats to my AVR. Before Shield, I have used a windows HTPC with Kodi.

I am using Plex and it looks like there was a problem only with one of the Movies I tried first. Have tried 4 more movies after that and all 50GB plus... no jitters. Loving the Shield TV Pro (2017) except its remote controller.

I have been using Shield TV (2017) model for the last two years and never had issues (no jitters) streaming full HD mkv files from a HDD (have not tried 4K sources so far). Are you seeing the jittery playback when using Kodi or a different app? I always use the Kodi app and with the right settings, it bitstreams all audio formats to my AVR. Before Shield, I have used a windows HTPC with Kodi.
I am using Plex and it looks like there was a problem only with one of the Movies I tried first. Have tried 4 more movies after that and all 50GB plus... no jitters. Loving the Shield TV Pro (2017) except its remote controller.

After Netflix, I completely discontinued watching Movies using .mkv files.
I am considering that again to enjoy a better Audio.
What is the best and most cost effective way to achieve that? I should be able to stream in 4K with Atmos sound.
Thanks in advance!

Edit : I shall be using SSD to store .mkv files
What were you not able to get from Netflix, now that it has support for Atmos and HDR?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back