Playing Speaker Poker with mpws NAD356

Very nice, matches your decor perfectly.

If you're sitting around the middle area you can toe them in for a better angle of attack if you'd like :) the epos's color matches your rear wall perfect too :D

As always - I pull the speakers in front and give it a toe in. But even firing straight the Epos has substantial
Width of sound or soundstage if you will.

Mpw

Hehe, That was actually one of the two shortlisted for mine but Magma suggested going for the heavier option and it went from there. I'm very satisfied with mine :)

He MPW upload some high res images with and without the grills, not small thumbnail!

@mpw - Have you listened to any Bollywood tracks on your m12i? I was auditioning these today and they seemed very ordinary when playing bolly tracks. They sounded very sweet with rock music though.

Thanks in advance.

vixfx,

bolllywood music is not really my cup of tea... except for the soundtrack of Rockstar and Rockon. These sound excellent. I heard some ghazals.. they are nice too.

Hindi music ( normally older ones ) are recorded a little on the spicier side anyway and the new soundtracks are more synth and rock music oriented.

anyways i like 'em.. and i cannot put a finger on what ordinary means to you ( no offence ) but i hope you heard it with a good source and amp.

I am not into mp3's and play CD only. Oflate i have started ripping my CD's to FLAC just to see how far digital music takes me and it will give me the option to add powered speakers on my PC.

These ( M12i ) are not perfect speakers but are very good upgrade from what i had earlier.

mpw

anyways i like 'em.. and i cannot put a finger on what ordinary means to you ( no offence ) but i hope you heard it with a good source and amp.

None taken. I am not an audiophile, just a music lover. So my choice of words may not be correct at times.

I listen to almost all genres of music (irrespective of language) other than heavy metal. So was expecting the EPOS to handle rock, Indian OST's, trance, hip-hop, pop etc ... very well.

To give an analogy for explaining ordinary, the Hindi music sounded as if having played on a cheap 2K worth cassette player system of the 90's (at least the ones i had). Source was a creek CD player which was the same one used to listen to Rock tracks as well. Guess I will need to audition again with some different CD's.

None taken. I am not an audiophile, just a music lover. So my choice of words may not be correct at times.

I listen to almost all genres of music (irrespective of language) other than heavy metal. So was expecting the EPOS to handle rock, Indian OST's, trance, hip-hop, pop etc ... very well.

To give an analogy for explaining ordinary, the Hindi music sounded as if having played on a cheap 2K worth cassette player system of the 90's (at least the ones i had). Source was a creek CD player which was the same one used to listen to Rock tracks as well. Guess I will need to audition again with some different CD's.

================================================

heyy,

Thats precisely my taste in music too. Eeverthing minus heavy metal and trance.

where did you audition the epos M12i in Mumbai ? i was keen to audition but i could not find any outlet here.

am curious as the Epos M12i is not what you describe it as. there must be something missing in the puzzle.

what was the amp ?

mpw

I auditioned it in Bangalore. Amp was Creek Destiny.

The speakers sounded very sweet when playing eagles, dire straits, pink floyd..etc. I listened to only one hindi cd, that too Rangeela because I had heard it before on a KEF Q300 and wanted to do a A-B comparison.

gobble,

Vikku Vinayakam - Ghatams - sounded good.

I will try put some south indian carnatic music and update this thread by this weekend.

Vixfx - the kef's are well rounded spekers.. they may appear "lush and velvety". The Epos M12i is not so.. it can be sharp where required. where required and maybe thats why the sound did not appeal to you.

Actually - i have a smile on me now - i thought creek and epos were made in heaven match. I went for Epos M12i w/o audition and i find now that my NAD does a very good job indeed.

This is a personal thing and you must go on the sound and not on reputation.

But - do carry some good CD's though. A good source recording can breath life into auditions.

As i said earlier in my post - havent tried too much hindi or kishore kumar types..

will post this weekend..

mpw

Vixfx

If what you mainly hear is Bollywood stuff and if you do not like what you hear, drop Epos and look for something else. You should like the kind of music you listen to on the equipment you buy. Incidentally most of the Bollywood stuff sounds great. People keep rubbishing the sound quality but to my ears they sound good, including the old stuff.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back