PlayOn!HD Media Player Review

raj

ACRyan Playon HD - any owners or opinions?

I have been looking to buy a media player. Playon HD or xtreamer are the two options I am looking at. The adv of playon HD is that it has two digital audio outs, accepts 3.5" internal HDD and it is available locally in Bangalore. It does not come with the wifi dongle bundled with it (that Xtreamer has). The price is around the same as xtreamer.
I have read through the usual sources of information (avsforum, mpclub etc) and functionality wise both are close to each other.
Is there anyone who has actually seen/used/own POHD and can comment on it? Thanks.

Re: ACRyan Playon HD - any owners or opinions?

Playon was supposed to come out with a wifi enabled version...is it not available yet? Where in Bangalore are you getting this and for how much?

Hi,

That seems to be good one. Never knew abt that, Where are you getting it in B'lore?

Thanks.

Hi,

was just searching their website, and got the address....

thanks.

Hi,

I just called up the concerned person, he is charging 14K and odd (12K + 12.5% tax). And I've called him to my place, to get a demo piece so that I can check it before buying one ................ any body interested in dropping by my place for the same can PM me for details.

I'm planing to strike a good deal with him ........ hope my luck works as always.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Hi,

I just called up the concerned person, he is charging 14K and odd (12K + 12.5% tax). And I've called him to my place, to get a demo piece so that I can check it before buying one ................ any body interested in dropping by my place for the same can PM me for details.

I'm planing to strike a good deal with him ........ hope my luck works as always.

Thanks.

I spoke to this guy over the weekend. I told him about xtreamer. He said he would offer a good price. something like 10k mrp. not sure if taxes are on top of that. Anyway, let me know how it goes. BTW, which part of blr do you live in?

Hi Fellow Members,

Just 2 days back I tested the Playon!HD media player at my place, the dealer had brought a sample piece to my place, and here are some reviews regarding the same,

The box pack comes with the following items:-
-AC Ryan Playon!HD player
-2 AA Battery
-Remote Control
-2m HDMI cable(surprising, not sure which company though)
-A composite AV cable
-USB A-B Cable
-AC adaptor
-Power Chord
-Y/Pb/Pr Cable
-User Manual

I personaly tested these following formats of video/audio,(by connecting an external 500GB WD HDD through USB)

.avi (played comfortably)
.mkv (played comfortably, no jerks even with a 16Gb single file, perfect 5.1 DTS audio)
.ts (played comfortably, even sequential files...... with a delay of 1sec between each files)
.m2ts(------------------------------DO----------------------------------------)
.vob (------------------------------DO----------------------------------------)
.mp4 (played comfortably)
.mpg (played comfortably)
.mov (played comfortably)
.dat (played comfortably)
.rm (played comfortably)
.rmvb(played comfortably)
.mp3 (played comfortably)
.wav (played comfortably)
.flac(played comfortably, even flac audio from .wav files)
.wma (played comfortably)
and all possible image formats upto 4K size tested ok.

I did not try ISO and ASF files.

subtitles (internal and external, i.e .str) were displayed very clearly. But no option to adjust size/position.

The file's which did not play are .wv, .dts and .evo

The GUI is pretty good (similar to the Xtreamer, but blue in color), remote operation is excelent (unlike the WD's). No DTS-HD-MA and DD-T-HD passthrough as of now :sad:............. dealer claims will be there by DEC'09

The player is bigger than the WD and Xtreamer making it less mobility, it also has an ethernet port, sd card reader slot,

PQ/SQ is similar to WD/Xtreamer.

And after testing all these, I finally bought one for my self............... but please do not ask the price. Actuall cost is 12.5K+12.5% tax. But if anybody is interested in buying the same, I managed to get a group purchase deal, i.e 5 sets for 11.5K flat, each.(anybody interested can PM me for details.)

The WIFI, internet stuffs still have to be checked, will be doing it this weekend, and will post the reviews of the same.

Overall price wise they are definitely more compared to WD/Xtreamer ............... product wise beat's WD with a very high margin and equals the Xtreamer.

Cheers.

Great review aneel, also if you can share the pricing offered for the same it will be great.

Anelr: Thats a neat review

When Xtreamer is 10k why would you buy this paying 1.5 extra ? Just curios to know. Also, Xtreamer new firmware has DTS-HD pass through which makes it even better player than PalyOn right?

Also, it beats WDTV by fair margin. In which functionalities? Bcos you are saying PQ/SQ are same so whats that it beats WD TV? If it networking then its unfair to pit WD rather you should compare to WD Live right? Even from price point it should competing with WD TV live which is available for 6.5-7k from 20North which is almost 5k less than PlayOn.

MBR- thats true,many will agree to have similar MP for 8k less as WD2 is for 7.5k on 20north.

Anelr: Thats a neat review

When Xtreamer is 10k why would you buy this paying 1.5 extra ? Just curios to know. Also, Xtreamer new firmware has DTS-HD pass through which makes it even better player than PalyOn right?

Also, it beats WDTV by fair margin. In which functionalities? Bcos you are saying PQ/SQ are same so whats that it beats WD TV? If it networking then its unfair to pit WD rather you should compare to WD Live right? Even from price point it should competing with WD TV live which is available for 6.5-7k from 20North which is almost 5k less than PlayOn.

Hi, I bought this because I got it at a competitive price, but the dealer does not want me to disclose the price to anyone as he is not ready to give it at that price to anyone. ........... and about the DTS-HD passthrough, even the Xtreamer is still yet to support in it's latest firmware and PlayOn HD will also be getting it's new firmware with DTH-HD audio passthrough in Dec'09

cheers

Aneel: Dont get wrong thinking I am arguing with you, I am just trying to understand your thoughts thats all.

You said you got it for 11.5 K (retail is 13k) which is 1.5K higher than Xtreamer and 4k Higher than WD TV Live. Until and unless this product retails below or equal to Xtreamer I dont see it worth it.

Having said that, if it has better specs than XT or WD TV Live like better DAC/CHipset etc then the extra 2k or 4k might be worth it. Does it have anything which is better than WD TV Live or XT (btw: I think XT beta firmware already supports DTS-HD)

I good thing I see is it has an internal fan (?) but thats not really a make or break

The dealer was willing to match the xtreamer price (you can look at my earlier post for the quote I got). Anyway, POHD has coax digital audio out, component out, 3.5" internal HDD and quieter fan. These are adv over XT which has free wifi dongle that POHD does not have. Both of them claim to do BD ISO now. XT definitely seems to have heat problem (hence the noisy fan). At this point, XT seems to have a good customer base and faster firmware updates.
One advantage for POHD for those BLR is we have local dealer to buy and get issues sorted out. For some, it is not a big deal to order by mail and deal with potential DOA issues.

The dealer was willing to match the xtreamer price (you can look at my earlier post for the quote I got). Anyway, POHD has coax digital audio out, component out, 3.5" internal HDD and quieter fan. These are adv over XT which has free wifi dongle that POHD does not have. Both of them claim to do BD ISO now. XT definitely seems to have heat problem (hence the noisy fan). At this point, XT seems to have a good customer base and faster firmware updates.
One advantage for POHD for those BLR is we have local dealer to buy and get issues sorted out. For some, it is not a big deal to order by mail and deal with potential DOA issues.

Now you are talking, if they have the same price structure then its competitive. So POHD has Internal hard drive by default? Whats the size?

Now you are talking, if they have the same price structure then its competitive. So POHD has Internal hard drive by default? Whats the size?

No Internal HDD, but can accept upto 2TB (claimed by the dealer). And comparing it to the WD, switching between sequential video files is faster in POHD, and it's remote is far better than that of WD in terms of usability, and 1 particular file of mine (.mkv) was not playing properly through the WD, but plays correctly with POHD (but this is not a main point though).

Cheers

Hi,

Just tried internet radio, works fine.
And also can download torrents from net(but not sure why anyone would use a media player to download torrents........i would rather stick to my laptop).

cheers

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back