Please advise: Planning to buy Polk Audio Tower Speaker TSX 330T

stargazer

Hi All,
I'm a newbie on this forum with very little understanding of the whole Home Theater set up. I have been wanting to buy good speakers for quite a while now and have zeroed in on Polk Tower Speaker TSX 330T. Could the experts here please help with the questions below:

1. Any reviews of the product
2. I don't have an AVR and plan to use this with my TV and Computer, will this work ?
3. Somewhere down the line I plan to upgrade to a proper home theater, so at that point can I just go ahead and buy an AVR and surround speakers and will the set up become viable ?

Thanks in advance,
Stargazer

What is your primary usage ? Music or Movies (TV shows) ?
1. You need an AVR or amplifier in order to power those speakers.
2. If you can specify your budget, usage and room size, then more help can be availed.

In low budget, at least you can opt for a entry level Yamaha HTiB (AVR+sattelite speakers)

I am sorry if I made you more confused

Most hifi speakers like Polks need an amplifier/AVR to work. They are not like computer speakers that way
Assuming your budget is the price of TSX330s, which is around 30k, you have to limit yourself to entry level hifi setup
Or increase your budget :D

By budget setup, I mean an amp like the Norge Concerto or Norge 2060
Paired with entry level bookshelves like Q Acoustics 2010i or Boston Acoustics A26

Hi stargazer

As advised by fellow members, you would require an amp / AVR to power up the towers...this means stretching your budget for a decent amp / AVR...

Would suggest you go and audition entry level home theatre systems from Yamaha / Denon / Onkyo / Pioneer and decide based on the performance and budget....

If you don't have much of a budget and is open to owning used equipment, then refer to Sale by Owner section of HiFi Ads or other online classified websites which would have some good deals ..you may get lucky and get a great system for cheaper....all the best....

First of all I would like to extend my sincere thanks to all members of this forum. In last three /four days , I have got immensely benefited and it helped me in understanding various issues about good HiFi system.

Finally I have zeroed on Denon AVR X1100R. It would be with me by next week , bought from Amazon.com, USA. Approximate cost Rs 33500/-

My profile :
Content to be used : 25% movies , 75% music ( 99% of that indian classical/instrumental/Ghazal/new age light melodies/band music.
TV : Panasonic Plasma 55 inch Vierra 50ST60
Room Dimension : 16ft X 16ft with Height of 15 ft ( Imagine a balcony opening to this room from left at 10ft height)
Devices : Chromecast, XBOX one , WD Media Player
To be bought :
? (1) Blue Ray : Considering Samsung BD-H6500 ( comments welcome!)
? (2) Step down Transformer 1.5KVA : Maxine (shah electronics, probably from SP Road Bangalore
Any suggestion about place to buy / reference on cost ?
Speakers : Open ( That's where I need help from you Guru's)

Homework done :
1. Demo of Jamos :
a. S426 : Didnt like at all
b. S526 : Was good. Final offer from dealer Rs.51,500 ( without Sub, wiring) but free installation and transport
2. Demo of Polk : TSX330t / TSX440 (5.1) [ After the demo of Jamos]
a. 440 was good but felt it was pricey and beyond my budget
b. 330T I liked , for quality and its price. Inclined towards buying this but would wait for your comments
c. 330's final price quoted was Rs 69K , Considering its including SubW, Transport, Installation ( is it a good deal?)
3. Other speakers : Wharfdale / KEF / klipsch
a. I have a perception that all of these would be costlier then Polk/Jamo

I would be glad to hear your comments and suggestions.

congrats Manu. didn't you consider denon avr-x2000 which would also be close to the price of avrx-1100

Thanks Murlidher. I looked at it. I believe ( and i could be wrong here !) that 1100, 2100 (W series) is 2014 models and with wireless built-in. :)
Any advice on setting up or buying remaining stuff would be a welcome.
thanks again.
-Manu

I have Andrew Jones designed pioneer speakers bought seperately and also yamaha speakers which came along with YHT-299. They are good

Zali series is famous here and you may consider them as well.

I bought last week Pro-Audio Silver 8 tower speakers with Silver Centre Speakers in New Delhi. I also bought JBL Subwoofer 260P. Hooked all to my Denon AVR-X2100 Incommand series. Enjoying hifi quality music. I have hooked my Philips CD-210 to amp and more clear sound from audio stereo cds.

rohan{_mhtr : Good question. I forgot. Looks like I need to revisit the showroom. I have to finish this task by this week end. I know, each one has his own preferences when it comes to music. Yet I am inclined to ask : Can someone remove some of the options considering that I am looking for 5.1 setup below 70K. What could be couple of alternatives that i should go and audition before i close it ?

Or Shall I go to 2.1 then add on step by step ?
Thanks.

Br
GauRav

Demo Pioneer AJ 5.1 package. They sound way better than Polk TSx series.

If you do not like the Pioneer, Look at 2.0 with towers or 2.1 with bookshelfs and plan to upgrade later.

There are several good options for Towers at 60k to 70k range.
1. Dali Zensor 7 - my top pick at this range.
2. Cambridge Audio (don't remember the model - quoted around 60k)
3. Polk RTi A5
4. Q Acoustics 2050i

Finally bought Tsx440 5.1 package. (PSW110, TSX150c,OWM3,). Only open is to buy a step down transformer for 1.5KVA. Searched for Maxine at SP Road but couldnt find. Couple of them referred to another brand named 'MX' ; apparently there are number of folks who have bought the same thing. I may end up buying the same, today evening. Hopefully my drawing room would come alive by night tomorrow :)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back