Please guide _ New setup: Bookshelf speakers or Floor Standing Speakers or Sound bar?

cupidraj

Dear Members,

I am new to this forum & to the world of Speakers, Amp’s, AV receivers etc. I have been reading a few threads here on this forum on new setup queries & I must confess, I have come to the right place for support and guidance.

I wish to setup music / home theatre setup in “Living” area measuring 11’3x16’8. I am unable to attach the apartment layout picture as the file size is too large :(.

The living area is open & pans to dining & foyer area as well. Essentially, the living room area is pretty much an open space & I am assuming this plays a huge role in how to set up the music / HT system & impacts the overall performance of the output, right?

I am planning to buy 40 inches or a 43 inches Full HD TV (LG / Sony) & wish to install a music system or a sound bar or a home theatre set up.

I would be using the setup for -

• 60% Movies. I have movie files on an external drive (USB / HDD) and not on a CD, DVD, Blu-ray. Occasionally, I might connect to Amazon, Netflix etc.
  • 40% Music. I have music files on an external drive (USB / HDD) and not on a CD, DVD, Blu-ray. Occasionally, I might connect to Apple Music and to other streaming platforms.
Query 1: Are bookshelf speakers good enough for both movies and music and will these need an Amp or an AV receiver to fire? If bookshelf speakers are good for both, then which ones / brand should I go for? Budget for bookshelf speakers is between INR 30K & INR 40K and budget for Amp / AV is INR 40K.

Query 2: Are floor standing speakers good enough for both movies and music and will need an Amp or an AV receiver? If floor standing speakers are good for both, then which ones / brand should I go for? Budget for floor standing speakers is between INR 30K & INR 40K and budget for Amp / AV is INR 40K.

Query 3: Is sound bar with sub-woofer alone good enough for both movies and music? If yes, then which one / brand should I go for? Budget for a sound bar is INR 50K.

Lastly, I am from Bangalore. Is it okay to purchase this equipment either from Reliance Digital or Croma? If not, kindly suggest some good places too

Thanks in advance

Dear Members,

I am new to this forum & to the world of Speakers, Amp’s, AV receivers etc. I have been reading a few threads here on this forum on new setup queries & I must confess, I have come to the right place for support and guidance.

I wish to setup music / home theatre setup in “Living” area measuring 11’3x16’8. I am unable to attach the apartment layout picture as the file size is too large :(.
You can attach the image by first taking a screenshot or sending it via whatsapp to any family member and having it sent back as the shortest method. 2nd approach you can use apps like IMGUR and share the link.
The living area is open & pans to dining & foyer area as well. Essentially, the living room area is pretty much an open space & I am assuming this plays a huge role in how to set up the music / HT system & impacts the overall performance of the output, right?
An open empty space between yourself and the speaker is desirable but the space behind you/speakers , left and right of the speaker should ideally have some form of absorption/diffusion via furnitures and some room-treatment. The furniture part will automatically be taken care of during your room setup I believe via sofa units , tv units on front and back, curious to understand how the left and right of the speaker would be via some photo or plans.
I am planning to buy 40 inches or a 43 inches Full HD TV (LG / Sony) & wish to install a music system or a sound bar or a home theatre set up.

• 60% Movies. I have movie files on an external drive (USB / HDD) and not on a CD, DVD, Blu-ray. Occasionally, I might connect to Amazon, Netflix etc.
  • 40% Music. I have music files on an external drive (USB / HDD) and not on a CD, DVD, Blu-ray. Occasionally, I might connect to Apple Music and to other streaming platforms.
Query 1: Are bookshelf speakers good enough for both movies and music and will these need an Amp or an AV receiver to fire? If bookshelf speakers are good for both, then which ones / brand should I go for? Budget for bookshelf speakers is between INR 30K & INR 40K and budget for Amp / AV is INR 40K.

Query 2: Are floor standing speakers good enough for both movies and music and will need an Amp or an AV receiver? If floor standing speakers are good for both, then which ones / brand should I go for? Budget for floor standing speakers is between INR 30K & INR 40K and budget for Amp / AV is INR 40K.

Query 3: Is sound bar with sub-woofer alone good enough for both movies and music? If yes, then which one / brand should I go for? Budget for a sound bar is INR 50K.

Lastly, I am from Bangalore. Is it okay to purchase this equipment either from Reliance Digital or Croma? If not, kindly suggest some good places too

Thanks in advance

You would need to audition Bookshelfs, Floorstanders and Soundbars to determine if you would be satisfied with just a soundbar or need better speakers. For soundbars Croma/Reliance Digital would be good enough , for rest try visiting shops like ProFX/Yamaha Showroom (Near Indiranagar)/ Modern World (Domlur) / The Home Cinema (Electronic City) to audition dedicated HT system builds.

Regarding your queries I would like to ask few counter questions
i) Is your budget firm from a long term perspective too, would you be willing to invest an equal amount of 70-80k again in say another 1 year of timeframe. If you are willing to invest 70-80k again the suggestions would be quiet different then having a final budget of 70-80k.
ii) Your usage scenario says 60% movies /40% music , if you need a surround sound system mandatorily you will need to compulsorily go for an AVR and if you are ok with stereo setup for movies too then you will do fine with an Integrated amplifier + bookshelf.
iii) Are you open to used setups, can have much better alternatives if you are willing to go this route.

Last edited:
Dear Members,

Thanks in advance
I am now attaching the apartment layout picture for reference.

You can attach the image by first taking a screenshot or sending it via whatsapp to any family member and having it sent back as the shortest method. 2nd approach you can use apps like IMGUR and share the link.

An open empty space between yourself and the speaker is desirable but the space behind you/speakers , left and right of the speaker should ideally have some form of absorption/diffusion via furnitures and some room-treatment. The furniture part will automatically be taken care of during your room setup I believe via sofa units , tv units on front and back, curious to understand how the left and right of the speaker would be via some photo or plans.

You would need to audition Bookshelfs, Floorstanders and Soundbars to determine if you would be satisfied with just a soundbar or need better speakers. For soundbars Croma/Reliance Digital would be good enough , for rest try visiting shops like ProFX/Yamaha Showroom (Near Indiranagar)/ Modern World (Domlur) / The Home Cinema (Electronic City) to audition dedicated HT system builds.

Regarding your queries I would like to ask few counter questions
i) Is your budget firm from a long term perspective too, would you be willing to invest an equal amount of 70-80k again in say another 1 year of timeframe. If you are willing to invest 70-80k again the suggestions would be quiet different then having a final budget of 70-80k.
ii) Your usage scenario says 60% movies /40% music , if you need a surround sound system mandatorily you will need to compulsorily go for an AVR and if you are ok with stereo setup for movies too then you will do fine with an Integrated amplifier + bookshelf.
iii) Are you open to used setups, can have much better alternatives if you are willing to go this route.
Hi, I appreciate swift response - thank you very much. Well, I can definitely increase on my budget and above is not final. Right now, above stated budget is knowing that I do not know anything on this subject. I am open to used setup as well as long as they free from damages (internal or external).

Attachments

• IMAGE.jpg
    IMAGE.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 17
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back