Please help me choose a best tower speaker for my Onkyo HTB HT-S5100.

mathewjamesn

Hi All -
I have an Onkyo HTB which I have been using for the past 10 years (Bought from US), but now using in India. The receiver that comes along with it is HT-R560. I am planning to replace my current Front speakers (Front Speakers (SKF-560F L/R)) with tower. Now here is my concern.

For HT-R560, the spec is

75 Watts/Channel @ 8 ohms (FTC)
130 Watts/Channel @ 6 ohms (IEC).

My current Front Speaker (SKF-560F) has 8 ohm Impedance. and hence I believe the amplifier outputs only max of 75 watts.

I am planning to replace with, say Polk Audio T50 or Pioneer SP-FS52 or any tower which has 6 ohms so that my amplifier outputs 130 watts which I believe sounds better - right ?

In my HTB , it also comes up with a Sub woofer (SKW-560 Bass Reflex Powered Subwoofer) with a Max Power of 290 W RMS which gives a very good base as well.

Considering the above situation, Can you suggest me a tower speaker that can be used which will give 130 W RMS output (basically I can extract the Maximum power my receiver is capable of delivering), and Since I have a powered Sub woofer, what all should i consider in choosing a tower speaker like Mid range or tower with woofer or without etc etc.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks
-Mathew

I think numbers are not the only basis on which you select speakers. Even if you take two different towers with similar wattage and impedance etc, they both may sound different. I guess we can't say 6ohms speaker sounds better than 8ohms and vice versa. I understand your approach though...

Suggest ur budget also, and let others pitch in with suggestions.

There a lot of brands to look into for eg. Taga Harmony Q acoustics Polk kef etc etc.

The key is to get sound to your liking and not go by power figures always .
Modern speakers are quite sensitive and do not need a lot of power to put out the volume your looking for .
If you could take your avr along and audition different speakers you could choose the one you like .

I have an Onkyo HTB which I have been using for the past 10 years (Bought from US), but now using in India. The receiver that comes along with it is HT-R560.

Nice to see a 10yr old Onkyo HTIB still doing the duty..

Considering the above situation, Can you suggest me a tower speaker that can be used which will give 130 W RMS output (basically I can extract the Maximum power my receiver is capable of delivering), and Since I have a powered Sub woofer, what all should i consider in choosing a tower speaker like Mid range or tower with woofer or without etc etc

In my HTB , it also comes up with a Sub woofer (SKW-560 Bass Reflex Powered Subwoofer) with a Max Power of 290 W RMS which gives a very good base as well.

Since you are convinced with the bass from the sub, then replacing the HTIB fronts with towers wouldn't fetch you much.. Instead you can choose to upgrade you existing fronts & center together for a more impactful experience..

You may consider moving your existing Left as surr Left, Right as surr right, Center as single surr back and add new 3 speakers for your fronts.. Will be better upgrade for both movies & music..

What is your budget?..

I think numbers are not the only basis on which you select speakers. Even if you take two different towers with similar wattage and impedance etc, they both may sound different. I guess we can't say 6ohms speaker sounds better than 8ohms and vice versa. I understand your approach though...

Suggest ur budget also, and let others pitch in with suggestions.

@Naveenbnc - Thanks for the reply. In fact my budget is max of 30k overall. I am thinking of looking out for used speakers as well so that I can get some high end ones a bi cheaper.

There a lot of brands to look into for eg. Taga Harmony Q acoustics Polk kef etc etc.

The key is to get sound to your liking and not go by power figures always .
Modern speakers are quite sensitive and do not need a lot of power to put out the volume your looking for .
If you could take your avr along and audition different speakers you could choose the one you like .

Thanks @mpasanthosh for the reply and thanks for suggesting the speakers like Taga Harmony. I shall definitely consider those rather than just focusing on Polk Audio or similar. Also any model you can suggest for Taga harmony ?

Nice to see a 10yr old Onkyo HTIB still doing the duty..

Since you are convinced with the bass from the sub, then replacing the HTIB fronts with towers wouldn't fetch you much.. Instead you can choose to upgrade you existing fronts & center together for a more impactful experience..

You may consider moving your existing Left as surr Left, Right as surr right, Center as single surr back and add new 3 speakers for your fronts.. Will be better upgrade for both movies & music..

What is your budget?..

Thanks for the inputs @elangoas. In fact tha's a good idea to change the center as well. I haven't thought about that. Also the idea of using the curren Front speakers as Surround is new to me as well. Now, my budget is around 30k INR. Thanks!

Hi All -
I have an Onkyo HTB which I have been using for the past 10 years (Bought from US), but now using in India. The receiver that comes along with it is HT-R560. I am planning to replace my current Front speakers (Front Speakers (SKF-560F L/R)) with tower. Now here is my concern.

For HT-R560, the spec is

My current Front Speaker (SKF-560F) has 8 ohm Impedance. and hence I believe the amplifier outputs only max of 75 watts.

I am planning to replace with, say Polk Audio T50 or Pioneer SP-FS52 or any tower which has 6 ohms so that my amplifier outputs 130 watts which I believe sounds better - right ?

Considering the above situation, Can you suggest me a tower speaker that can be used which will give 130 W RMS output (basically I can extract the Maximum power my receiver is capable of delivering), and Since I have a powered Sub woofer, what all should i consider in choosing a tower speaker like Mid range or tower with woofer or without etc etc.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks
-Mathew

Hi Matthew....good evening.

I think you have intrepretated the amps capability the wrong way. As we drop the resistance of the load from 8 ohms to 6 ohms, the amp has to work harder to supply more current into the speakers. And there is yet one more thing called speaker sensitivity mentioned in db's.

Considering 2 different speakers of same sensitivity, but one at 8 ohm and other at 6 ohms resistance. The amp will have to work less harder with the 8 ohm speaker to get both the speakers to the volume level. And a amp working well below its rated capacity will always sound better, than when it is playing close to it's top limit.

So I would summarize by saying, choose speakers with a high sensitivity and high impedance of at least 8 ohms. And please dont ever plan on using your amps max power output, as this will lead to something called clipping of the signal, and will blow out your speakers tweeters. All the best :)

Thanks for the inputs @elangoas. In fact tha's a good idea to change the center as well. I haven't thought about that. Also the idea of using the curren Front speakers as Surround is new to me as well. Now, my budget is around 30k INR. Thanks!

For 30K budget, and to upgrade 3.0 speakers (L-C-R), you may consider Taga Harmony Platinum series.. S90 SL, C90SL and save some bucks..

For HT-R560, the spec is

As FM newlash09 explained, your amp will be stressed if you do this.
BTW, the IEC numbers are meaningless. If you read between the lines, it is 130W/Ch @ 6 ohms for a 1 Khz tone

The optimal operating range of any amp should be in the 15-50% of its stated wattage.
The rest of the power is best left as headroom to tackle tough current draw when playing varied content.

The amp-speaker match up mantra (tech) should be (echoing FM newlash09 in a different way):
- Check FTC spec (this is 20-20K, 8 ohm, 2 ch driven; most practical spec)
- Choose higher sensitivity speakers (they can produce desired SPL at lower power from amp)
- Choose speakers which have 8 ohm nominal impedance; even these can dip to 3-4 ohm (makes it easier on the amp)

The amp-speaker match up mantra (subjective) should be:
- Does this sound appeal to me? ...
- Will I feel uncomfortable after 5 mins of listening? ...
- Will I get a headache after 30 mins of playing? ...

The ... are individual interpretation.

Cheers,
Raghu

Most of the technical aspects of speakers and amplifier are explained to you by FM. Now you must finalize few speakers within your budget and start audition. Because audition only give you idea about your speakers. There are few speakers which are universally acclaimed for better performance like
1. Pioneer SP FS 52
2. Polk T50
3. Onkyo SKF 4800
4. Boston Acoustics A250

Hi Matthew....good evening.

I think you have intrepretated the amps capability the wrong way. As we drop the resistance of the load from 8 ohms to 6 ohms, the amp has to work harder to supply more current into the speakers. And there is yet one more thing called speaker sensitivity mentioned in db's.

Considering 2 different speakers of same sensitivity, but one at 8 ohm and other at 6 ohms resistance. The amp will have to work less harder with the 8 ohm speaker to get both the speakers to the volume level. And a amp working well below its rated capacity will always sound better, than when it is playing close to it's top limit.

So I would summarize by saying, choose speakers with a high sensitivity and high impedance of at least 8 ohms. And please dont ever plan on using your amps max power output, as this will lead to something called clipping of the signal, and will blow out your speakers tweeters. All the best :)

Thanks for correcting my thoughts and perception. But I have a small doubt on the statement "Considering 2 different speakers of same sensitivity, but one at 8 ohm and other at 6 ohms resistance." Are you saying if my Front (L & R) are of 6 ohms and Center @ 8 ohms - is that what you mean ?

Anyways, based on elangoas suggestion, I have decided to change the Front as well. So basically either all three will be of 8 ohms or of 6 ohms (no mix and match). But my surround, I will be keeping the 8 ohms ones. (Planning to keep the current L & R of onkyo to be kept as surround). Hope this config is fine - right newlash ?

Most of the technical aspects of speakers and amplifier are explained to you by FM. Now you must finalize few speakers within your budget and start audition. Because audition only give you idea about your speakers. There are few speakers which are universally acclaimed for better performance like
1. Pioneer SP FS 52
2. Polk T50
3. Onkyo SKF 4800
4. Boston Acoustics A250

thanks rpmahale for suggesting the speakers. Now let me try to narrow down based on all suggestions and replies.

Considering the fact that I do have a decent Sub woofer with 290W RMS, which will be a cheap and best combination ?

1) Polk Audio Say T50 (I might get a pair for 20K) (L & R) + Center as Taga Harmony PLATINUM C-90 SL
2) Taga harmony platinum s-90 sl bookshelf (L & R) + Center as Taga Harmony PLATINUM C-90 SL

or Any other similar combination if you can suggest.

Thanks in Advance to everyone.

why do you want to mix and match???
If you go with Polk, get all polk.
If you go with Taga, get all taga.

simply put, a speaker with 8ohms or more impedance will work fine with your receiver than a speaker with 6ohms impedance or less.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back