please help me configure my first home theatre system..

shamps

hi guys...
need help... first time buyer for a home theatre system and have been lookin around for some time

my budget is around 70k

will use it for movies as well as music (equal share)

i m very much impressed with the yamaha rvx1600 as it has got almost everythin i need and it also has analog to HDMI conversion.....
then i saw the hdmi 2600... almost same as 1600 but it converts analog to HDMI and even upscales it... so there is that added advantage... but the cost is too much...

both the recievers are 7.1 but 5.1 is sufficient for me... (might add the remainin 2 channels later, not a botheration now)

i m not at all informed abt the speakers.... as far as i am concerned..... i like the cerwin vega avs5.1 to go with the reciever....

now shud i buy the yamaha 2600 for around 60000rs and the cerwin vegas for 12000rs (am i compromising too much on the speakers..)

or i shud buy the yamaha 1600 and buy a different set of speakers to complement it...

shud i be really bothered abt the HDMI upconversion(this is the only difference between the two recievers.)

is there a better reciever available at a cheaper price???...

please help guys as i am a novice...
shamps......

hi guys...
need help... first time buyer for a home theatre system and have been lookin around for some time

my budget is around 70k

will use it for movies as well as music (equal share)

i m very much impressed with the yamaha rvx1600 as it has got almost everythin i need and it also has analog to HDMI conversion.....
then i saw the hdmi 2600... almost same as 1600 but it converts analog to HDMI and even upscales it... so there is that added advantage... but the cost is too much...

both the recievers are 7.1 but 5.1 is sufficient for me... (might add the remainin 2 channels later, not a botheration now)

i m not at all informed abt the speakers.... as far as i am concerned..... i like the cerwin vega avs5.1 to go with the reciever....

now shud i buy the yamaha 2600 for around 60000rs and the cerwin vegas for 12000rs (am i compromising too much on the speakers..)

or i shud buy the yamaha 1600 and buy a different set of speakers to complement it...

shud i be really bothered abt the HDMI upconversion(this is the only difference between the two recievers.)

is there a better reciever available at a cheaper price???...

please help guys as i am a novice...
shamps......

It would be preferable to go for the Yamaha 1600 along with the DIAMOND 9 HCP.

BTW, how much is the Yamaha 1600??

I would also suggest the following new surround amp from Sony called STRDA1200ES

Should be available in India soon for around 30-35K...

Last edited:
I would also suggest the following new surround amp from Sony called STRDA1200ES

Should be available in India soon for around 30-35K...
hi jagat
i like the sony reciever.. if its available at this price , it certainly is way better then the yamaha.....
ne info abt the release date and are u sure abt the price... i dont mind waitin for its release as it seems guud value

Last edited:
hello there

I dont think Sony will perform as good as Yamaha., The yummies are very good in dynamics and the sound stage is all together different, you can try Marantz and Harman Kardon along with Yamaha.

mohan

hello there

I dont think Sony will perform as good as Yamaha., The yummies are very good in dynamics and the sound stage is all together different, you can try Marantz and Harman Kardon along with Yamaha.

mohan

If you can, try the Pioneers too, like the 816. They offer excellent bang-for-the-buck. Proven in many tests against Yamaha et al.

Marantz & HK offer solid build, no frills - like a hundred DSP's - but they give you the watts that are actually promised, no false promises at all. But they come in at a small premium.

thanks to all for feedbacks....

m a proud owner of an Onkyo (Tx-sr705) with jamo speakers...

cudnt be happier....

cheers!!!

Congrats Shamps on your purchase.
If you are in bangalore, i would like to have an audition of your setup.
705 is this year's breed and is a very good value for money ( assuming you are more in home theatre than into " classical" music.).. Purists.. dont like an onkyo

Congrats Shamps on your purchase.
If you are in bangalore, i would like to have an audition of your setup.
705 is this year's breed and is a very good value for money ( assuming you are more in home theatre than into " classical" music.).. Purists.. dont like an onkyo

thanks reactivex....

well i m not in bangalore, i m in Meerut (noth india).....

well the 705 is certainly the best value for ur money at the moment.......
i do a bit of both movies and music....... and i m happy with both........(i m not an audiophile u see (not yet) :D)!!!

Hey,

how much did you shell out for the package.

how much for the onkyo and how much for the Jamo kit?

Thank you,
Raj!.

What model of jamo speakers did you go for? the S606? What did it cost you overall? AV Receiver + Speakers? A break up would help.

Aks

thanks to all for feedbacks....

m a proud owner of an Onkyo (Tx-sr705) with jamo speakers...

cudnt be happier....

cheers!!!

Hi, I'm currently looking to buy a new HT system, though it's going to be used more for music (70%) than movies. Which Jamo speakers have you bought? I'm getting a good deal on the Jamo E 875 speakers... Haven't been able to decide about the AV Reciever... how much did the TX-SR705 cost??

Hi, I'm currently looking to buy a new HT system, though it's going to be used more for music (70%) than movies. Which Jamo speakers have you bought? I'm getting a good deal on the Jamo E 875 speakers... Haven't been able to decide about the AV Reciever... how much did the TX-SR705 cost??

Abhishek

Whats your budget...???

Whats the room size...???

And are you planning to go for a 5.1 setup or just a stereo setup,as you have just mentioned Jamo E 875, that are front speakers, and you have mentioned AVR, that is for 5.1/7.1 setup...???

So please let us know more about the same...

Ans it would be better if you could start up a new thread, and then mention all your requirements, with the above requested details as well...

Abhishek

Whats your budget...???

Whats the room size...???

And are you planning to go for a 5.1 setup or just a stereo setup,as you have just mentioned Jamo E 875, that are front speakers, and you have mentioned AVR, that is for 5.1/7.1 setup...???

So please let us know more about the same...

Ans it would be better if you could start up a new thread, and then mention all your requirements, with the above requested details as well...

Budget is about 70k and room size is 350sqft. Am looking at the following Recievers:
Jamo AVR 693/AVR 793 (7.1 recievers both)
CA 640 v2...
Marantz SR6001
Sony STR-DA 1200E
Denon AVR 1908
HK AVR 245
Sherwood RX 772

All are in similar price as well power range. The Jamo 693 is the cheapest at 26k... rest are going to be in between 35-42k...

The speakers are going to cost me 40k so have about 30k to spend. How much would good cables cost for such a setup?

Budget is about 70k and room size is 350sqft. Am looking at the following Recievers:
Jamo AVR 693/AVR 793 (7.1 recievers both)
CA 640 v2...
Marantz SR6001
Sony STR-DA 1200E
Denon AVR 1908
HK AVR 245
Sherwood RX 772

All are in similar price as well power range. The Jamo 693 is the cheapest at 26k... rest are going to be in between 35-42k...

The speakers are going to cost me 40k so have about 30k to spend. How much would good cables cost for such a setup?

Abhishek

You got a nice room, for the setup...
Is this gonna be a dedicated room for HT, or is a living room...
As in both cases acoustics will be totally different...

Anyways, as far as amps are concerned out of your shortlisted brands, let me cut down few more...
You shouldnt even look out the amps from :
Jamo
Sherwood
Sony
They are not proffessional amp manufactures...
Sherwood, is only a startup amp...and is not a VFM product...

When you are investing your hard earned Rs.70K, then you should go in for some nice setup...

Anyways, whats your main, motive for HT setup, is it movies or music...???

If it movies, go in for Marantz 4002/5002, with Jamo/Polk Audio/Q Acoustics speakers...
If it music, go in for Cambridge Audio 640/540, with Mordaunt Short/Ushers/Quad...

When cables are concernes, go in for Monster Cables - S16, they will cost you Rs.78 per mtr...

Bro, start building up with an descent amp, with a pair of bookshelf/dipole speakers, and do the cabling...
And after that slowly and gradually, add on speakers...

Abhishek

You got a nice room, for the setup...
Is this gonna be a dedicated room for HT, or is a living room...
As in both cases acoustics will be totally different...

Anyways, as far as amps are concerned out of your shortlisted brands, let me cut down few more...
You shouldnt even look out the amps from :
Jamo
Sherwood
Sony
They are not proffessional amp manufactures...
Sherwood, is only a startup amp...and is not a VFM product...

When you are investing your hard earned Rs.70K, then you should go in for some nice setup...

Anyways, whats your main, motive for HT setup, is it movies or music...???

If it movies, go in for Marantz 4002/5002, with Jamo/Polk Audio/Q Acoustics speakers...
If it music, go in for Cambridge Audio 640/540, with Mordaunt Short/Ushers/Quad...

When cables are concernes, go in for Monster Cables - S16, they will cost you Rs.78 per mtr...

Bro, start building up with an descent amp, with a pair of bookshelf/dipole speakers, and do the cabling...
And after that slowly and gradually, add on speakers...

Mridul,
THanks a lot for all the advice.. i spent the entire day today checking out various systems and have narrowed my choices to the following, which are very much in-line with what you're recommending:

Speakers: Either the Jamo E875 or the Mordaunt Short Avanti 908i (Similar speakers, similar price). Have heard both speakers and am leaning towards the Jamo.

Reciever: Cambridge 640A v2 or the Harmon/Kardon 3380 (Again same price, not sure about comparable specs)

How do you feel about this equipment?

The setup is going to be primarily for listening to music and the room is my bedroom... would look at seperate HT for family later...

Thanks

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back