Please help to select a Graphics Card & build a HTPC

Hello All,

so far in this thread, I understood the following things:

ZOTAC NVIDIA GT 730 1 GB DDR5 is sufficient to fullfill all my basic requirements like DTS HDMA, Bitstream etc.
This card also works with a BR drive and physical BR discs. (hope I am correct)

But when it comes to 4K, or HEVC/h.265 decoding, I have to go for Nvidia GT 1030 or AMD RX 550.
HDMI 2.0 or up with HDCP 2.2 is required for handling of 4k digital content
And for new HTPC builds, AMD's new APUs (Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G) are better off..

Please correct me if I am wrong at any point.
I am very much thank full for all the inputs.

Regards
Naveen

ZOTAC NVIDIA GT 730 1 GB DDR5 is sufficient to fullfill all my basic requirements like DTS HDMA, Bitstream etc.
This card also works with a BR drive and physical BR discs. (hope I am correct)

But when it comes to 4K, or HEVC/h.265 decoding, I have to go for Nvidia GT 1030 or AMD RX 550.
HDMI 2.0 or up with HDCP 2.2 is required for handling of 4k digital content
And for new HTPC builds, AMD's new APUs (Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G) are better off..

Yep, That's right.

Additionally if you are looking for new HTPC build, please note that playback of Ultra High Definition (4K, HEVC) BluRay Disks are currently* supported by Intel's latest processors only. AMD has announced this support for the Ryzen APUs mentioned above, and they will be released as firmware upgrades during coming months. And as of now, i think only Pioneer is making UHD 4K Bluray reader/writer which can be used for PCs. Also PowerDVD 17 is the only application that supports 4K Bluray Playback.

So,
For 4K Disk playback you will need -
CPU/MB - Intel's Latest 7xxx or 8xxx Series / AMD's Ryzen APUs *(future support)
4K Bluray Drive - Pioneer
UHD Bluray Disk Playback Software - Cyberlink PowerDVD 17

All the above doesn't matter if you are doing playback of Ripped 4K HEVC videos. For ripped files, all you need is either GT 1030 or RX550.

thanks a lot !!! Ausyz !!!
If you are considering GT 730, I strongly recommend to take GT 1030 instead and price will be aprox. 1k more.

If you are sticking with 7xx series, you can even consider the GT 710 which has the same (verify) Video Decoding Engine as GT730. They differ only in gaming performance, and this doesn't bother you.

Since I am a beginner, I think it is safe to stay away from 4K Blue ray for now, as it is not easy for me to handle. Availability is limited, and I'm not sure if I will really buy more 4k physical discs.

Il settle for normal Blu-ray quality for now. Or ripped 4K at the most.

Secondly I have to make use of my existing setup and make as little changes as possible and get things working.

I am not into gaming for sure.

GT730 is practically working, and we have a confirmation from our seniors. But Reignofchaos pointed out that it's old design. If that is something to worry about, il go for GT1030.

Thanks a lot ☺️☺️

Last edited:
GT730 is practically working, and we have a confirmation from our seniors. But Reignofchaos pointed out that it's old design. If that is something to worry about, il go for GT1030.

Thanks a lot ☺️☺️

Well you need to see what works for you and fullfills your requirement. There will always be something new in the market. Whats new now is considered terribly obsolete 6 months later. The difference in price of these cards on amazon is roughly 2000/- (Amazon Fullfilled sellers). Add the cost of the SMPS. Also, since its for movies alone, how much do you gain by a more expensive card, which needs slightly more current. Factor these into your decision.

MaSh

Since I am a beginner, I think it is safe to stay away from 4K Blue ray for now, as it is not easy for me to handle. Availability is limited, and I'm not sure if I will really buy more 4k physical discs.

Ditch the 4K, until you get more access to it easily a.k.a (affordable) Rs 100/-..

Secondly I have to make use of my existing setup and make as little changes as possible and get things working.

Right way to go..

I think you will need to upgrade to better power supply from corsair too VS series.. That will also cost you a bit in addition to graphics card.. Think you may have to shell out around 8K..

I have the Nvidia GT740 2GB DDR5, that i have been using for more than 2 yrs time and it works just fine for BR Rips (Non - HEVC/ x265 / 4K rips)..

OTOH, have you considered an Android TV box for <= 5K.. If you have more external Hard disk, then this small device have the capacity to play most media formats.. From FLAC to MKV files.. Think @chaitanyaht3 was looking for it some time back.. If he has already bought one, try borrowing it from him for a weeks time & check yourself..

Hi elangoas,
Regarding 4k, yes I will forget it for now.

My requirements are mostly very basic. An Android tv box is simplest solution. But I don't have external hard disc.

That is the reason I just compared, 5k for tv box + 5k for hard disc. Total 10k.

So for nearly similar price, i taught a power supply + graphics card can get me a basic htpc. Any way I need a computer for downloads etc, and browsing through netflix, prime, etc is easy with a keyboard and mouse.
Is this approach right ??

Hi elangoas,
Regarding 4k, yes I will forget it for now.

My requirements are mostly very basic. An Android tv box is simplest solution. But I don't have external hard disc.

That is the reason I just compared, 5k for tv box + 5k for hard disc. Total 10k.

So for nearly similar price, i taught a power supply + graphics card can get me a basic htpc. Any way I need a computer for downloads etc, and browsing through netflix, prime, etc is easy with a keyboard and mouse.
Is this approach right ??

BTW, wireless keyboard & mouse will also work with Android TV Box..

If you don't have external hard disk, then yes HTPC is better.. Easier for searching / downloading files..

How many internal hard disk do you have?.. How many GB / TB?..

Its surely not into TB. Il recheck and confirm

Hey I am in the same boat. Used my AMD APU 5150 for 2 years and now feel I should upgrade to 4K capable card. Since I have HTPC, I cna only upgrade card and do not have to touch to other components.

Just wanted to know which card finally did you buy? I am almost on the verge of buying a GT 1030 for its 4K capability. Let me know if you bought the same and how is the experience.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back