Please post a review of mission

hauntedhunter

Hi All,

Heard & read a lot about the missions ( m33i & m34i ) in this forum. It'll be great if some expert can audition and give a detailed review of the missions.

What say buddies ?

Thanks in advance :)

Great...will be eagerly waiting...may it take little time,but may be it detailed :)

( Also would love to hear how it's for rock music,classic stuff like Pink Floyd,Nirvana,Doors etc :))

Thanks again,I'm sure it'll benefit a lot of ppl :)

Great...will be eagerly waiting...may it take little time,but may be it detailed :)

( Also would love to hear how it's for rock music,classic stuff like Pink Floyd,Nirvana,Doors etc :))

Thanks again,I'm sure it'll benefit a lot of ppl :)

hey man i will give you a detailed review of the m35 and a review of the m33/34 in short - you will get it this week itself.

As of now - let me tell you that the m35 has great midrange - denver never sounded better. At the same time I am a big fan of Pink Floyd, MJ, Elton John, Linkin Park, Enigma - all play really well - will sound better by atleast 50% with a dedicated stereo am(though used a CA & Marantz with it during the buying process - am stuck with pure audio mode in onkyo - which is just about acceptable). I tried a few hip - hop items too - did not like it (the genre so don;t know what to expect). Jazz played well too but its not a genre i listen to often - so can't say much.

BTW are you planning to buy missions?

Hauntedhunter,
I was hesitating to post as I dont really satisfy the criteria, of being an expert and also because I have had my mission M33i s for only a coupla weeks now!
I am using it with an Onkyo sr506 in stereo mode.
Initially, I was apprehensive about all the reports that these speakers were low on bass. However, once I started listening to these I really dont see what that was all about. To me the bass is ample, esp in my 200 sq ft hall.
The main thing I wanted was detail, that is present, but you get what you pay for! Its an unfair comparison but I still found the Q A 1030i s level of detail to be far better(that was with a pure stereo set up and good cdp!). I think the speakers would perform better with a dedicated cdp and stereo amp.

The only thing I found slightly lacking with the m33is( again I say, I am commenting on speakers in the entry level) was the mids. I had to tweak the mids to get the vocals and guitar to sound the way i wanted.
(I listen to dire straits, u2, karnatrix, a lil bit of bollywood music, etc on flac and mp3/ogg from my cowon d2 and dell laptop) Btw, Indian classical music sounded pretty good on this.

hope i was of some help!
Will try to post a better review once I have put more hours on the speakers.

Hauntedhunter,
I was hesitating to post as I dont really satisfy the criteria, of being an expert and also because I have had my mission M33i s for only a coupla weeks now!
I am using it with an Onkyo sr506 in stereo mode.
Initially, I was apprehensive about all the reports that these speakers were low on bass. However, once I started listening to these I really dont see what that was all about. To me the bass is ample, esp in my 200 sq ft hall.
The main thing I wanted was detail, that is present, but you get what you pay for! Its an unfair comparison but I still found the Q A 1030i s level of detail to be far better(that was with a pure stereo set up and good cdp!). I think the speakers would perform better with a dedicated cdp and stereo amp.

The only thing I found slightly lacking with the m33is( again I say, I am commenting on speakers in the entry level) was the mids. I had to tweak the mids to get the vocals and guitar to sound the way i wanted.
(I listen to dire straits, u2, karnatrix, a lil bit of bollywood music, etc on flac and mp3/ogg from my cowon d2 and dell laptop) Btw, Indian classical music sounded pretty good on this.

hope i was of some help!
Will try to post a better review once I have put more hours on the speakers.

iaudio,good to hear that ur enjoying the missions.am sure they will get more revealing once the other components in the chain are looked at.for the price theyre very hard to beat!!cheers

iaudio,good to hear that ur enjoying the missions.am sure they will get more revealing once the other components in the chain are looked at.for the price theyre very hard to beat!!cheers

Oh yes, I am thoroughly enjoying my music on the speakers! And as you and flanker have remarked, they offer performance far beyond the green stuff you pay for them.
I have also auditioned the m73(older speakers) and found them to be similar in nature to the m33.
Hauntedhunter, which mission speaker in particular are you looking at?

(I listen to dire straits, u2, karnatrix, a lil bit of bollywood music, etc on flac and mp3/ogg from my cowon d2 and dell laptop)

I heard exactly the same thing from a friend of mine,that in m33i,bass was damn good,but the speakers were getting quite flat when playing vocals and guitar riffs ( let say a pink floyd/iron maiden stuff where u have heavy guitar riffs along with vocals).He also felt that the speakers lack a bit of dynamics,I mean the variation through the mid-range.
Please throw some light :cheers:

Again let's compare it with similarly priced rivals ( I was looking into WH 9.2 vs Mission m33i,although I know one is a BS & the other one is a FS but still.....) :)

Thanks

I heard exactly the same thing from a friend of mine,that in m33i,bass was damn good,but the speakers were getting quite flat when playing vocals and guitar riffs ( let say a pink floyd/iron maiden stuff where u have heavy guitar riffs along with vocals).He also felt that the speakers lack a bit of dynamics,I mean the variation through the mid-range.

Again let's compare it with similarly priced rivals ( I was looking into WH 9.2 vs Mission m33i,although I know one is a BS & the other one is a FS but still.....) :)

Thanks

what is your source? Wharf 9.1/9.2 is quite musical but will be limited in terms of bass. The m33i (with the sand thingy) gives decent bass and yes the midrange though very clear - lacks the feel (dynamics) out of the box. Missions take a long time to "burn in" - I auditioned an old m34 (at a yamaha resseller in Pune) with Denon and simply loved it. It was lying there for nearly 2 years according to the sales guy and was a demo piece they would not sell.

Thanks

Bingo! that is exactly what I have felt! But I do hear from various quarters that these speakers take their own sweet time to er, mature and I hope the mid range improves after that!

Thanks

Well the mission puts great emphasis on midrange - the way i like it. Its bass is tight and treble is soft (in comparison to Polk anyday). i woudl say if someone has a sub/any planning to get one - m34 is the way to go. Its the best of the lot - m35 need to turned on louder (on my onkyo AVR) to get the proper dynamics of music. M35 needs a high powered NAD to get it going whereas a WH9.2 will chug along with a Yamaha/Deneon budget receivers with perfectly acceptable SQ.

At the same time something like Geroge Michaels sounds so much better on a Mission m34/35. In a polk tsi 400 with a denon it felt the midrange had gone off to sleep while the treble/highs were on overdrive. With a Jamo 606 it felt the file had no range wrt music. I played the missions through analog out of the realtek board (which is pathetic to most people - though on specs they are fine) - it was acceptable and the dynamics are there.

I just understood myself that it is the sum of all parts that give the best output.

My next buy is the Xonar HDAV 1.3 or any similar card that passes bitstream HD audio and does stereo sound as well. But 13k is way too much . Its more than my HTPC cost as of now.

folks,finally got my mission m35i.its been 4 days(and already 15+hrs play time:indifferent14:)!!these are just fabulous speakers for the money.great build(the knuckle rap was painful!!),understated looks(have the beech finish),and man are they heavy!!initial play in like expected was little lifeless.dont get me wrong,the detail seemed to be all there,albeit a little lack of bass.am using a mix of noise files for burn in(atleast 2hrs prior to any listening).after playing music for 5hrs straight things got a little better.post 12hrs or thereabouts they seemed to have opened up a lot more!!the details are crisp,excellent cohesion in the freq ranges,imaging is very central and the bass is tight,deep and articulate.the mids are to die for,voices sound natural and best of all absolutely no fatigue!!listenin sessions on my rig are usually long(love my music on,always!) and hence the realisation.all genres play really well,jazz/western & indian classical sound amazing.the soundstage,even though quite good and expansive(for me),seems to be limited by the size of my room.even so i use them with the foam bungs off,15cm from back wall and hardly 5ft apart.give them the adequate breathing space and they will probably cause u to suck in ur breath!!still a lot more time needed to really get them going(as per many opinions),but if this is the way they sound now,..theyll be phenomenal soon.strange thing is,if budget speakers can sound this way,i shudder to think of the capabilities of the real heavyweights!!cheers

Last edited:
folks,finally got my mission m35i.its been 4 days(and already 15+hrs play time:indifferent14:)!!these are just fabulous speakers for the money.great build(the knuckle rap was painful!!),understated looks(have the beech finish),and man are they heavy!!initial play in like expected was little lifeless.dont get me wrong,the detail seemed to be all there,albeit a little lack of bass.am using a mix of noise files for burn in(atleast 2hrs prior to any listening).after playing music for 5hrs straight things got a little better.post 12hrs or thereabouts they seemed to have opened up a lot more!!the details are crisp,excellent cohesion in the freq ranges,imaging is very central and the bass is tight,deep and articulate.the mids are to die for,voices sound natural and best of all absolutely no fatigue!!listenin sessions on my rig are usually long(love my music on,always!) and hence the realisation.all genres play really well,jazz/western & indian classical sound amazing.the soundstage,even though quite good and expansive(for me),seems to be limited by the size of my room.even so i use them with the foam bungs off,15cm from back wall and hardly 5ft apart.give them the adequate breathing space and they will probably cause u to suck in ur breath!!still a lot more time needed to really get them going(as per many opinions),but if this is the way they sound now,..theyll be phenomenal soon.strange thing is,if budget speakers can sound this way,i shudder to think of the capabilities of the real heavyweights!!cheers

congrats dude..the way george benson sounded on my missions.....awesome. mids are something to die for. Complete VFM unlike many others.

BTW where did you get the babies from?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back