please recommend a good hard disk

hi guys thanks for all the responses! :)

something made me check up on the netgear nas duo which would be my ultimate destination and its good i did it cos i found that it has a list of recommended hard disks and most of these seem to be internal ones not external! yes george, 1 tb for the nas duo is what i'll go for not 500gb :)

which means if i buy an external hard disk now i wont be able to deploy it in the netgear nas duo. so my choice of buying now would have to be in that light, in which case santhol's pointer on 2.5" offering some degree of shock resistance when on the move makes it a better bet. am sure i'll be carrying it around sometime or the other.

wav files ripped through eac played back through laptop and thence to amp through headphone out by the way sounded far better than i expected it to be! was extremely surprised by the quality! it sounded horrible at first and i had mentioned this to george. then i found that the volume on laptop was way down hence low volume levels hehe.

my digital journey has started with an ipod 160 gb i picked up for 12k yesterday, ought to reach next week. and funnily enough the vinyl inner sleeves i ordered reached yesterday too. both ends of the spectrum digital and analog together :D

will see quality through ipod dock line out and then see if i need a hard disk. in which case i'll buy an external hard disk just for other stuff backup then.

regards

ripped through eac played back through laptop and thence to amp through headphone out by the way sounded far better than i expected it to be! was extremely surprised by the quality!

Sacrilege!! Sacrilege!! You mean an el-cheapo laptop sound card can sound good?!! Phsst! smoke! crackle! How dare you speaketh such blasphemous utterances?!! :eek:hyeah:

You are a traitor to the analogue world! A mole, a plant in the secret underground movement of Vinyl lovers..!! And a moment of indiscretion has exposed your game! Now we know where your loyalties really lie!! Who hired you?!! Or are you ideologically motivated?!! :rolleyes:

:)

Cheers

nay gobble,

i am mole in the digital world by exposing how an eac ripped wav file through an el cheapo soundcard sounds as good as a normal cd player i hope to convert ye blinded ones to dark rotating vinyldom :p

though seriously it sounded damn amazing to the extent that i didnt miss my cdp>dac. will do more listening with some more albums...

Hi Steven ,
how did you connect the sound card to that Lyrita system. My Sound card doesn't have any stereo out only the normal phone out that is where the computer speakers are connected.
Thanks.

hi mahiruha,

through the 3.5mm headphone out via a 3.5mm cable to rca left right plugs. and i've got a borrowed ancient ibm laptop. had got a cable made by viren for tv use through amp. used that. imagine what a digital out through dac would do ;) :D

regards

hi Steven,
thanks for the info. It seems to be a good idea to get a cable like that.Let me check If something like that can be sourced locally.
Thanks.

Those cables are available-a headphone in with two RCAs out. in case you have a problem sourcing one let me know, it is possible that I may have a spare one lying around.

George

James oops steven,
Enemy is getting suspicious. Confuse the digital camp by praising both digital and analogue. For time being lay low. Make them think you are going digital by disposing off vinyl collection... preferably to Hiten. Wait for further instructions...
;)

hi Steven,
thanks for the info. It seems to be a good idea to get a cable like that.Let me check If something like that can be sourced locally.
Thanks.

Mahiruha,

I guess u'r based in Kolkata. If so try out Naresh Radio at Chandni Chowk. There are four shops in one building (go to first floor - the staircase is really narrow to climb). U'll get Single stereo to two left right plugs over there. They stock a huge variety of cables.

Cheers
Sourav

You better search the web and compare features and prices. Here is a sample link
1 tb | Buy 1 tb on Foostor | Online Shopping for 1 tb

foostor,

like the big evacuation of bowel, you are giving a big chod - why you are doing like this only - my mother (god bless her soul) is watching all the lies from the big blue sky of heavens and is giving big report to the god -

santhol2 has peeled of the onion layers and exposed the garlic game you are playing by charging to the tune of 1000 chips - you think it is easy to earn thousand chips simply and good for nothing after that - i am telling to you - you should turn your shoulder to become honest man and be telling somebody that i will do five hundred sit- down holding ear penance.

foostor,

like the big evacuation of bowel, you are giving a big chod - why you are doing like this only - my mother (god bless her soul) is watching all the lies from the big blue sky of heavens and is giving big report to the god -

santhol2 has peeled of the onion layers and exposed the garlic game you are playing by charging to the tune of 1000 chips - you think it is easy to earn thousand chips simply and good for nothing after that - i am telling to you - you should turn your shoulder to become honest man and be telling somebody that i will do five hundred sit- down holding ear penance.

LOL :p.suri,didn get my pm?cheers

Hi Steven ,
how did you connect the sound card to that Lyrita system. My Sound card doesn't have any stereo out only the normal phone out that is where the computer speakers are connected.
Thanks.

hi mahiruha,

was busy with an exam hence the revival now :) wondering why you want to do the computer connection to the lyrita. not using your squeezebox? does your soundcard have digital out?

am now running my ipod which i got a couple of days back, into the amp. more for background listening till i figure out what to do permanently.

regards

James oops steven,
Enemy is getting suspicious. Confuse the digital camp by praising both digital and analogue. For time being lay low. Make them think you are going digital by disposing off vinyl collection... preferably to Hiten. Wait for further instructions...
;)

have sent vinyl collection through our algeria contact. please confirm on arrival. use code: april 1 for the exchange.

:D

have sent vinyl collection through our algeria contact. please confirm on arrival. use code: april 1 for the exchange.

:D

The shipment has been intercepted. Your agent in the field has been compromised. You shall face dire consequences if you try such cross-territorial transactions again. you have been warned.

hi mahiruha,

was busy with an exam hence the revival now :) wondering why you want to do the computer connection to the lyrita. not using your squeezebox? does your soundcard have digital out?

am now running my ipod which i got a couple of days back, into the amp. more for background listening till i figure out what to do permanently.

regards

Hi Steven,
I want to use the computer because it is just sittng beside the Lyrita system.The squeezebox I am using in my bedroom where it is attached to my sony home theater which is now only used as a 2.1 amplifier system. The sound is not bad at least better than computer system. Also I am conviced that if this asus card is utilized properly it is a better performer than squeezebox. Essentially this computer will be my squeezebox with lot more flexibility.Lets see how it goes.

MI6 still forcing you to take exams. That's too bad I hoped by now they should have settled with your abilities.:D
Thanks.

The shipment has been intercepted. Your agent in the field has been compromised.
James,
Have told you not to use funny secret codes like "April 1".
Not only our Algerian agent gave away vinyl collection, but was laughing like crazy...
laughing2.jpg

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back