Please suggest me a very stable portable DAP with excellent sound quality

vivek.saikia

Hi All,

This is more of a distress post after my Sansa Clip+ died on me recently.

I have owned a number of DAPs but none of them performed in a stable manner.
The following are the DAPs which I have owned, but have dissapointed me in one way or the other -

1) Archos 605 Wi-Fi Portable Media Player (30 GB) -
This is the most unstable player I have every owned. The hard disk just stops working on many instances and the sound quality was below average. Almost hated myself for buying this.

2) Sony NWZ series mp3 player (don't remember the exact model number) - This one was the most stable of the whole lot. The user interface was very intuitive. But the sound was quite bass heavy and the bass was very bloated. Sold it to a fellow member.

3) Cowon C2
This player had the best sound quality. I really loved it when it worked but one fine day it suddenly started to develop some problems with the touch screen. The screen would not respond to the touches and you really need to press hard (resistive screen) to register the touch but still it worked erratically. I finally returned it to Amazon.com after it stopped responding to my touches.

4) Sansa clip+
I got this player after I was dissapointed with all the high quality players and I decided to go without the bells and whistles. This tiny player really shone in the sound department and I really enjoyed the sound quality when mated with my DIY CMoy headphone amp
I Rockboxed the player after going through the Roxbox forums learning that the firmware version was quite stable. I liked the control it provided on the setting, but one fine day it stopeped powering on. I tried to charge it but it was not recognized by the laptop. Tried reseting the player by pressing the power/menu buttons together for considerable duration but it didn't solved the problem.

So, finally frustrated by the various encounters with different DAPs, I am back again in the market shopping for a good DAP.
One interesting observation I have with the Apple products is that they really very stably whenever I have used it. I have used my sister's iPod Classic for about 3 months and never faced any stability issue (though the iTunes software really gave me nightmares). The one thing that let me down was the sound quality.
I have seen it being discussed in the various forums that the iPod 5th generation has quite a good internal DAC in it and it produces some good sound quality. Is it a good idea to buy a (used) iPod video 5th generation and rockbox it?

I really need some inputs from the fellow HFVians in taking me out of my misery.
Oh just to inform, I just ordered a iBasso D zero portable DAC/amp which I was planning to mate with my Sansa Clip+ but after it's demise, I need to get a new player so that the iBasso is not left unattended.

Thanks!

the cowon J3 is a very highly rated player which you should definitely consider.
also since you already have the iBasso D zero and you like the stability of apple players, why not go for something like the ipod classic connected to the ibasso via line out? you can use other applications to sync songs to the ipod like media monkey or J river media center.

4) Sansa clip+
I got this player after I was dissapointed with all the high quality players and I decided to go without the bells and whistles. This tiny player really shone in the sound department and I really enjoyed the sound quality when mated with my DIY CMoy headphone amp
I Rockboxed the player after going through the Roxbox forums learning that the firmware version was quite stable. I liked the control it provided on the setting, but one fine day it stopeped powering on. I tried to charge it but it was not recognized by the laptop. Tried reseting the player by pressing the power/menu buttons together for considerable duration but it didn't solved the problem.

Funny that you should bring this up today! Just 2 hours back, my Dad's 1 year old Clip+ switched itself off while he was using it.

The reset procedure involves pressing just the power button for 20 seconds, releasing it, and then pressing it again for power-up. You shouldn't press the menu button while trying to reset the player. It worked in my Dad's case, and it is working properly now.

the cowon J3 is a very highly rated player which you should definitely consider.
also since you already have the iBasso D zero and you like the stability of apple players, why not go for something like the ipod classic connected to the ibasso via line out? you can use other applications to sync songs to the ipod like media monkey or J river media center.

I am thinking of buying a iPod Video 5th generation and do the following mod

How to imod a 4th Gen iPod photo

Modding : Apple Video Ipod (5g & 5.5g) The Compact Flash Version

I am also thinking of rockboxing the iPod.

Funny that you should bring this up today! Just 2 hours back, my Dad's 1 year old Clip+ switched itself off while he was using it.

The reset procedure involves pressing just the power button for 20 seconds, releasing it, and then pressing it again for power-up. You shouldn't press the menu button while trying to reset the player. It worked in my Dad's case, and it is working properly now.

All I can say is you have been lucky.
I have tried the method described by you as well as the ones mentioned in n number of websites but with no luck.

Finally, I filed for a refund from Amazon.com and will be returning the player to them.:mad:

Maybe old technology is best!

My Cowon A2 spends most of its life on the shelf these days --- but, even so, when I take it out for occasional flights and train journeys, I'm pleased to say that it always works and the battery hasn't given up for lack of use. I think it dates back to 2003 or 2004!

Variety of reasons why I would never buy Apple. It began, long ago with iTunes...

yup modding an ipod classic sounds good. i guess only good options are that or get a cowon.
i use a rockboxed 2g nano, really love the options that rockbox gives you, oh and if you connect your ipod to the car stereo or a dock you can still boot into the standard apple OS on your ipod even if you have rockbox installed.

let us know what you decide to do?

I finally went ahead and ordered a refurbished 30GB 5th generation iPod Video from Amazon.com.
Paid about $114 including shipping. Though on a higher side, the price I paid seems to be justifiable to me as the major parts in the player are replaced with new ones (hard disk, battery, faceplates, clickwheel etc.)
All I have to do now is to bypass the capacitors/resistors/inductors from the line out signal path. Trying to get hold of some black gate capacitors for the mod.

Though not inexpensive, there are two other alternatives:

1. Get an iMod (which is a modified iPod) from Redwine Audio. I got a modified 80GB video iPod for about $500 a couple of years ago. The unit is pricey, but the sound is very good. The modified circuit comes into play only with the use of lineout (not the headphone output), so you'll need a portable amp as well.

2. HiFiMan HM-801. I don't know how the cheaper HiFiMan models sound, but the HM-801 sounds outstanding. The only issues are its size and weight - these are more like the old Walkman cassette players and will not fit in your pocket.

You can audition these at my place if you happen to be in Bangalore.

Went ahead with the iPod video. Initial plan was to mod it using black gate capacitors bypassing the inductors in the line out. But after prying open the iPod and looking at the logic board, soon realized that it is not my cup of tea given the fact that I have way less than 20/20 eyesight :sad:

The inductors and the resisters are the size of a grain of salt as visible from the pictures below.

dsc00204n.jpg

dsc00203noe.jpg

dsc00202qz.jpg

Finally gave up the idea of modding the line out of the iPod and ended up with the iVue clear faceplate mod. Looks classy and nerdy at the same time! :eek:hyeah::licklips:

dsc00212oc.jpg

dsc00211uo.jpg

dsc00213ox.jpg

Also opened up the iBasso D0, just for the kick of it. Pictures of the innards below:

dsc00201tc.jpg

dsc00200rg.jpg

After getting hold of a "stable" portable music player (Rockboxed iPod Classic 5th gen), I am now in search of a good headphones.

I recently had bought an Audio Technica ATH M50 special edition headphones. But after using it for a while, I found the headphones too bright for my taste. I heard some sibilance in my music which is non existing with my MEElectronics or Brainwayz IEMs. Also the midrange was quite recessed in the M50s and it presented a very "confused" soundstage. So finally, I returned my headphones to Amazon.com

After going through different headphone threads in this forum, I decided to give Orthodynamic headphones a try and ordered the Fostex T50RP rightaway. The headphones are still in transit and they will get delivered tomorrow and I am super excited about it! I never heard an Orthodynamic headphones before but from the online reviews, I feel it will not have a great sub bass response. I am totally fine with it as long as the midrange is stellar.

I am also planning for a second pair of headphones (can't think of anything else I can do with the refund of my ATH M50 :)), which will be having a huge soundstage without sounding bright. My ears are super allergic to sibilance and a slight hint of it in my music simply ruins the whole experience. So, I am back in the market, searching for a new pair of headphones.

So, fellow forum members please help me finding the right pair of headphones with the below characteristics:

1. Huge Soundstage
2. Budget within $200
3. Zero Sibilance. Should not be too bright.
4. Stellar Midrange performance.
5. Well articulated bass (I am no bass head, but like controlled authoritative bass).

Thanks!

Have you considered the Sennheiser 558/598?

I have both the M50 LE and the Senn 558 and can tell you that the open back 558 has a larger soundstage than the M50, and none of its brightness.

It's got less bass than the M50, but quite crisp and adequate IMO.

Have you considered the Sennheiser 558/598?

I have both the M50 LE and the Senn 558 and can tell you that the open back 558 has a larger soundstage than the M50, and none of its brightness.

It's got less bass than the M50, but quite crisp and adequate IMO.

Thanks for the recommendation. The comparison sure helps.

The biggest problem while choosing the right set of headphones is that they are not available at the same place to do a quick comparison and hence we have to rely on the different reviews available on the net. But sound being so subjective perception, it truly becomes a challenge to zero down upon the one which is just the right match for your ears.

Currently, my list of options has the following headphones:
1. sennheiser hd25-1 ii
2. beyerdynamic dt 1350 (above my budget but i can wait and save if it is too good)
3. Creative Aurvana Live!
4. Sennheiser HD-650 (above my budget but i can wait and save if it is too good)

Help me by recommending a few more and confuse me! :sad:

Thanks!

Thanks for the recommendation. The comparison sure helps.

The biggest problem while choosing the right set of headphones is that they are not available at the same place to do a quick comparison and hence we have to rely on the different reviews available on the net. But sound being so subjective perception, it truly becomes a challenge to zero down upon the one which is just the right match for your ears.

Currently, my list of options has the following headphones:
1. sennheiser hd25-1 ii
2. beyerdynamic dt 1350 (above my budget but i can wait and save if it is too good)
3. Creative Aurvana Live!
4. Sennheiser HD-650 (above my budget but i can wait and save if it is too good)

Help me by recommending a few more and confuse me! :sad:

Thanks!

Please remove the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii from your list as you didn't like M50 because of sibilance issue so likely you won't even like Sennheiser HD25-1 ii too as it has same or more sibilance than M50 AFAIK.

Creative Aurvana Live is a very good, bassy, fun sounding HP but sound quality will be below Sennheiser HD-650.

Sennheiser is warm sounding HP with great soundstage obviously as it is open back but bass will not be in huge quantity as it is open-back but will be tight AFAIK. Any HD650 owner can correct me if I am saying wrong.

My recommendation for you SONY MDR-ZX700 as this is my favorite HP though I have never tried it.

Very good bass, Excellent Mid-range(much much better mid-range than M50's), Very good sweet extended treble without being bright or sibilant.

Please remove the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii from your list as you didn't like M50 because of sibilance issue so likely you won't even like Sennheiser HD25-1 ii too as it has same or more sibilance than M50 AFAIK.

Creative Aurvana Live is a very good, bassy, fun sounding HP but sound quality will be below Sennheiser HD-650.

Sennheiser is warm sounding HP with great soundstage obviously as it is open back but bass will not be in huge quantity as it is open-back but will be tight AFAIK. Any HD650 owner can correct me if I am saying wrong.

My recommendation for you SONY MDR-ZX700 as this is my favorite HP though I have never tried it.

Very good bass, Excellent Mid-range(much much better mid-range than M50's), Very good sweet extended treble without being bright or sibilant.

Thanks for the SONY MDR-ZX700 recommendation. These are something new on my list.
Regarding Sennheiser HD25-1 ii, I was having the same feeling that it might be a bit bright for my tastes, after reading various online reviews.

The Creative Aurvana Live appears a good fun option whenever I would like to sway away from the Fostex TP50RP for a while.

Last edited:
My Fostex T50RP was delivered today.
I am currently burning these headphones in.

Initial impression is very very positive. I was expecting these headphones to be very weak in the bass section as per the various online reviews, but that is not the case at all. The bass is very well defined and is sufficiently detailed. It reaches to the sub bass region but not as strongly as the ATH M50. It is quite fast though.
The highs are recessed when directly compared with Audio Technica ATH M50s but they don't loose on high end clarity though. The high details are there without being overwhelming. Just the way I like it to be. Zero sibilance! :D
Now coming to the best part of these headphones....the mids!!! The mids are ultra smooth and involving. I am bowled over by the midrange clarity from these headphones!
Another thing very notable about these headphones is the dark background. I have read many reviews about the dark background presented by these headphones but I realized it what it means only when I heard these phones.

With passing time the sound from these are getting better and better.:clapping::yahoo:

Now a few gripes....
Firstly, the earcup cushion is not that well made as the ATH M50s. They just sit over the earcup and there is no grove where the cushion ends will nicely conceal.
Secondly, they come with a 1/4" plug and they are not provided with a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor. Plugged them to a Radioshack 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor and there is some loose connection. Blame it on the Radioshack adaptor. A screw on adaptor would have been a nice addition.
Thirdly, the headband doesn't sit comfortably on the head and slips off if you tilt your head. I am thinking of sticking these with headband cushions like these.

Final impressions and photos will follow after they are further burnt in.

The mods of the ear cup, 3.5mm jack and the headband cushion are on my DIY to do list now.

And finally I think I can now drop my plans of acquiring a second set of headphones. These pleasure me fully :)

@ Vivek,

Funny story about the Sansa clip+. Mine suffered the same fate :p.

Am surprised you found the M50 to be a little sibilant. They have seemed to be very "monitor" like in their signature, but there is perspective for you!!

From all accounts the Fostex should be very, very involving indeed. That era had some real gems. Remember listening to Gurubhai's Yamaha YH2, circa 1970s, orthodynamic,..Brilliant mids, involving listen.

As for players, the J3 is a brilliant player, no question.

The iMod is again, a great mod on the Ipod. Pricey, but good. The folks at Red Wine Audio know their stuff, charge a bomb for that though.

All this IMHO!!

Cheers!

@ Vivek,

Funny story about the Sansa clip+. Mine suffered the same fate :p.

Am surprised you found the M50 to be a little sibilant. They have seemed to be very "monitor" like in their signature, but there is perspective for you!!

From all accounts the Fostex should be very, very involving indeed. That era had some real gems. Remember listening to Gurubhai's Yamaha YH2, circa 1970s, orthodynamic,..Brilliant mids, involving listen.

As for players, the J3 is a brilliant player, no question.

The iMod is again, a great mod on the Ipod. Pricey, but good. The folks at Red Wine Audio know their stuff, charge a bomb for that though.

All this IMHO!!

Cheers!

The Sansa players sounds good but I think they have serious issues with quality control. My new Rockboxed iPod 30GB 5th generation is serving me perfectly as the source. No complaints!

Fostex are sounding great day by day and mod by mod. Currently, I have stuffed the cups with thin layers of cotton and have damped the baffle using blue tac. Also replaced the ear pads with that of Shure 840s and have added head band cushions from Senheiser HD580. Also replaced the cable with the V-Moda audio only cable. The pics are due on me.

Hmm... I had two Clip+ and a refurbished Fuze. All three were used heavily (Clip+ was the main player, the other Clip+ was used when comparing other IEMs, Fuze was for burn-in) in the year and a half or so they were with me. I sold the Fuze and one of the Clip+s, but the other Clip+ still gets used regularly. I've had no major issues thus far. In fact, I've dropped both Clip+s a few times - once from 5'.

Strange fact is rallynut bought his Clip+ along with mine :)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back