Please suggest : portable Headphone+Amp+DAC+player - budget ~50,000INR

aneeshkms

Hi All,

First of all thanks for the awesome forum and help on my previous purchase (Marantz PM6004 and Wharfedale speakers).

Now I'm planning to by portable headphone system mainly to use during my daily office commute(it is approximately 3 Hrs daily). My budget is 50000/- Max.

Is it possible to audition headphones anywhere in Bangalore?

Initially I was thinking of Parrot zik 2 headphone(Rs ~20000/-) which has Bluetooth and can be used with mobile-phone. But saw some not so good reviews on this.

After some research came up on teac ha-p90sd. This is available in eBay @Rs52,000 which is out budget :sad:. However this is available in Amazon.com for USD$296. My sister is coming back from US on Jan, so I'm seriously thinking about this.
Please let me know your valuable inputs/comments on this. Also suggest similar products in this price bracket.

Also suggest me headphone for this. Is there any tax to be paid if she carries this Amp/Player and headphone from US.

Thanks once again.

Aneesh

Hi All,

Now I'm planning to by portable headphone system mainly to use during my daily office commute(it is approximately 3 Hrs daily). My budget is 50000/- Max.

After some research came up on teac ha-p90sd. This is available in eBay @Rs52,000 which is out budget :sad:. However this is available in Amazon.com for USD$296. My sister is coming back from US on Jan, so I'm seriously thinking about this.
Please let me know your valuable inputs/comments on this. Also suggest similar products in this price bracket.

Also suggest me headphone for this. Is there any tax to be paid if she carries this Amp/Player and headphone from US.

Aneesh

There should be no issue in carrying a small item like a portable media player
Maybe for safety she can ditch the box

Meanwhile for your player you should look at the following three products

The ibasso DX 80
(selling for $318 on amazon)
The DX80 by iBasso Headfonics

The Astell & Kern AK70
(selling for $599 on Amazon)
(the AK70 is within your stated budget but if you don't want to splurge that much, look at last year's AK Jr for $329)
Astell & Kern AK70 review | What Hi-Fi?

Fiio X5 (2nd gen)
(selling for $299 on Amazon)
The X5 Gen 2 by FiiO Headfonics

I think Fiio, ibasso and Astell & Kern are much more well known for making high definition player makers and you should seriously look at these models
I have been a Fiio customer for past couple of years as ibasso and AK were too expensive. And Fiio with a half decent pair of headphones blew my mind

And these new entry level players from these ibasso and AK outdo the Fiio X5 on sound, going by the reviews.
But the Fiio X5 is most loaded in features - it has a USB DAC (which is only there in the expensive AK70)

Power wise, all three should be able to drive all but the more demanding headphones - so amp would not be necessary. But to be, safe search for the player+headphone compatibility before purchasing

Also. Astell&Kern and Fiio are sold in India via www.headphonezone.in, so you can get Indian warranty as well

Hi All,

First of all thanks for the awesome forum and help on my previous purchase (Marantz PM6004 and Wharfedale speakers).

Is it possible to audition headphones anywhere in Bangalore?

Initially I was thinking of Parrot zik 2 headphone(Rs ~20000/-) which has Bluetooth and can be used with mobile-phone. But saw some not so good reviews on this.

Thanks once again.

Aneesh

I was on the same boat 10 months back.
After a lot research, i bought Chord Mojo and Sennheiser HD650.

I use Chord Mojo as Pre-Amp at home with my Genelec speakers.
I am in Bangalore, message me and you can audition my portable and home setup both :D

I have some nice collections of earbuds which are even better than HD650 :clapping:

I was on the same boat 10 months back.
After a lot research, i bought Chord Mojo and Sennheiser HD650.

I use Chord Mojo as Pre-Amp at home with my Genelec speakers.
I am in Bangalore, message me and you can audition my portable and home setup both :D

I have some nice collections of earbuds which are even better than HD650 :clapping:
Hello music4mhell! I have made up my mind to buy mojo from headphone zone but couldn't decide on IEMs. My total budget is 1 lac. Please suggest!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Hello music4mhell! I have made up my mind to buy mojo from headphone zone but couldn't decide on IEMs. My total budget is 1 lac. Please suggest!

If you ask me on DAC/AMP/Headphones/Earbuds i can help you nicely.
But IEMS, no idea. I am not an IEM guy. I only own earbuds which are far ahead than summit-fi IEMs :eek:hyeah:

If you ask me on DAC/AMP/Headphones/Earbuds i can help you nicely.
But IEMS, no idea. I am not an IEM guy. I only own earbuds which are far ahead than summit-fi IEMs :eek:hyeah:
Please give suggestions for a setup based on mojo. I will be left with 60k to spend on earbuds/earphones.

Hi,

If you don't mind sharing, what are these models of 'ear buds' that sound even better than HD650?

My knowledge of 'ear buds' are limited, but I was under the impression (could be wrong) that most people had to go to either 'IEMs' or 'Headphones' for high-fidelity. Was not aware that high quality 'ear buds' also exist.

Will be helpful if you can share some model names, and prices. Some info on their availability in India will also be helpful.

Thanks,
apk

P.S - I use an Audio-Technica M40x headphone with a Fiio X3 II & Fiio A5 stack. Would love to look at a good quality 'ear bud' for a more portable solution, especially while travelling. I do have one reasonably decent pair of 'earbuds', the VE monks (through massdrop) - which my wife is using now, since she took a liking to them

Last edited:
Hi,

If you don't mind sharing, what are these models of 'ear buds' that sound even better than HD650?

My knowledge of 'ear buds' are limited, but I was under the impression (could be wrong) that most people had to go to either 'IEMs' or 'Headphones' for high-fidelity. Was not aware that high quality 'ear buds' also exist.

Will be helpful if you can share some model names, and prices. Some info on their availability in India will also be helpful.

Thanks,
apk

P.S - I use an Audio-Technica M40x headphone with a Fiio X3 II & Fiio A5 stack. Would love to look at a good quality 'ear bud' for a more portable solution, especially while travelling. I do have one reasonably decent pair of 'earbuds', the VE monks (through massdrop) - which my wife is using now, since she took a liking to them

Thanks for your interest in Earbuds, now a days everyone is after IEMs only.

Below are the models which are better or almost at par with HD650,

1. Venture Electronics Black Zen ($358)
2. Cypherus Audio CAX ($350)

Below are the models which come very close to HD650,

1. Venture Electronics Zen 2 ($150)
2. Shozy Stardust ($160)

You can drop by my place at bangalore to listen all highend earbuds :)

Thanks for your interest in Earbuds, now a days everyone is after IEMs only.
Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, you are quite right about this. In fact, if you visit one of the normal electronics stores in your city like croma or reliance digital, it will be difficult to find a pair of decent earbuds, while there are tons of IEMs.

Both me and my wife prefer earbuds to IEMs anyday. Good to see a fellow audiophile who believes in earbuds!

Below are the models which are better or almost at par with HD650,

1. Venture Electronics Black Zen ($358)
2. Cypherus Audio CAX ($350)

Below are the models which come very close to HD650,

1. Venture Electronics Zen 2 ($150)
2. Shozy Stardust ($160)

You can drop by my place at bangalore to listen all highend earbuds :)

Thanks for the offer. Will try and catchup with you in case I visit Bangalore anytime (am based in Ahmedabad, but do have some friends in Bangalore)

Which one of the two between VE Zen2 and Shozy Stardust would you recommend for a slightly warmer sound? Am particularly sensitive to the higher frequencies - and was planning to get an HD600/650 or the massdrop HD6xx (in case it drops again). However, an earbud that offers a similar sound signature at a reasonable cost is most welcome

Any thoughts on the VE Asura2?

Thanks again for your reply

Apologies to the OP for going OT on this thread.

Best,
apk

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back