Pls Advise regarding adding a Power Amp into my Stereo Set up

You will be hard pressed to find music recorded below 34 Hz or even 40 Hz!
What you are hearing is probably what the music should sound like.
Do give your system more time and you will probably get to like it. Try to hear unamplified music. Get someone to play the guitar, the tabla, the drums and see if the bass goes as low as your setup.

Having the speakers closer to the back wall will give more bass.
Try to borrow better ICs than the Profligold and see if it makes any difference.

Yes I did try different speaker positions ( In a limited way -with in space constraints). Will also try with a different IC I have ( a Profigold PROA4201 IC).
The speakers have 6" Woofers and as per specs go down only upto 34 Hz

You will be hard pressed to find music recorded below 34 Hz or even 40 Hz!
What you are hearing is probably what the music should sound like.
Do give your system more time and you will probably get to like it. Try to hear unamplified music. Get someone to play the guitar, the tabla, the drums and see if the bass goes as low as your setup.

Having the speakers closer to the back wall will give more bass.
Try to borrow better ICs than the Profligold and see if it makes any difference.

Yes even if the music is recorded at lower frequencies my aging ears will not catch the sound :)

Actually I am currently using Monster make - M series ICs which are better constructed then Profigold. Just wanted to check if ICs make a lot of difference.

Do one thing..carry your amp to the nearest audio shop and try there . If bass
appears then it means your speakers are at fault. But this is not a real reason
for lacking bass there may be many.

IMO you should drop the idea of changing amp or speaker rather introduce
a active subwoofer. Get it from someone on loan , and check if you like it.If timing(between speakers and sub) is not an issue then subwoofer is best suitable to you.
Dig out more at threads like this- http://www.hifivision.com/active-speakers/54472-active-sub-low-budget.html
30k is decent budget to start with subwoofer..

I too like deep calm bass. after auditioning several brands, like herbeth, spendor, Tannoy,Dali and several others I did not find that deep calm bass untill one day i heard PSB synchrony. I had to check literally, if there is hidden subwoofer and I fell for that.

So I thought you are also looking for same flavour. If you could find PSB dealer in your city, then take your amp there and check only synchrony series of PSB, may be you could find your future soul mate:eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
Yes I was toying with adding a Sub Woofer vs Changing over to a powerful Amp.

I did not pursue the sub woofer as I do not want a booming sound and want the low frequencies to be well merged and be part of the music. Not sure if I can achieve this with a separate Sub.

Lot of our FM have introduced Subwoofer after initial hesitation. But well implemented sub are treat for the ears. Sub woofer not always built for booming sound, it is for deep calm bass also.

I did not pursue the sub woofer as I do not want a booming sound and want the low frequencies to be well merged and be part of the music. Not sure if I can achieve this with a separate Sub.

It takes work but can be done. Check the setup thread from fm bhagwan - he has integrated a sub very well into his system.

If you are looking for bass, then amp change is sure wrong place to look. Either add a subwoofer or change speakers to those with bigger subwoofers.

With bass, the biggest impact is due to location of the speaker. Location will pretty much decide whether you hear boomy or tight bass. A subwoofer will allow you to change the location and place it where it sounds the best. A speaker will not give you that flexibility. Also, you can change the gain on sub to suit your taste.

PBS, Hsu and Rhythmik subwoofer are a good choice. Adding subwoofer is a step in right direction.

Thanks for all the inputs. Couldn't resist the chance to get an Amp at Low price from USA. Hence planning to order an Emotiva XPA -200 @ $400.

I am jumping with my eyes fully open to the possibility of the above not making any difference and the real solution is to add an Sub. But the Subs I liked are too costly and too heavy- so postponed this indefinitely into future.

If you are predominantly looking for an amps like emotiva xpa 200. Why dont you have a look for marantz MM 7025. It might be costing somewhere near to that range near 500-550k. (Im talking abt the sparingly used ones) There are many good deals on usaudiomart.com.
You might get the nice grab if you keep hunting.

Thanks. I have a very narrow window of one week for the item to be picked up and brought over. So do not have the luxury of waiting to scout for a good Amp to come up for sale in the used market.

If you are sourcing a power amp from the U.S., unless the brand offers a 220V version, be prepared to buy a powerful step down converter as well.

Too good of a price at $339 its a superb VFM amplifier but unfortunately nobody is coming down from US to carry for me :mad: and getting it through ishopinternational is very pricey with the shipping/customs almost equal to the price of the amplifier :p

Yes looks to be a VFM - but the weight and customs will spoil it if we import it directly.

BTW Borderlinx have dropped their shipping charges - $20.75 for first 0.5 Kg and $3.24 for every subsequent 0.5 Kg . Comes to $80 for the Amp -18 Kg.

Yes but again $80 + customs will still be around 34k and I believe for this price we can scout for a pre-used but lesser wattage in India itself. Anyway the VFM for this amp comes if it is hand carried from US :)

Edit: Using borderlinx.com site as well the total international shipping + customs comes to $290 which is INR 17780 which is the same as ishopinternational.com site.

Last edited:
check with avenue sound & see what their pricing is.
btw, avenue sound is covering the warranty as well.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back