Pls.post abt your journey to HiFi world

when i was around 15 or 16(don't remmeber properly) i heard aiwa cd sytem and i felt awesome and from there my journey to hifi starts ,i was always dreaming for such kind of music to be in my home ,i always go to my firends house to listen to his aiwa music system and dreaming of it but i was kid at that time and my father can't let me buying such stuffs coz of studies and as the time passed i finally purchased my first sony 60 cd changer 5.0 hifi music system and it was awesome at that time and then my hunger for music still goes waaaaaaaaaay up and few months before i was wondering for hifi forums and found this awesome awesome site and its my daily diet now ,no matter what happens i always login daily here and one more thing i'm still hungry for bass ,in near future i'll definetly fill that hunger :eek:hyeah:

After reading about all the incredible people here, I don't think I am worthy of posting in this thread. I feel like I haven't even started yet.

Hi Manu,
I agree that aiwa (before Sony took over) had very good systems & better than sony.
I had to wait around 6yrs to own a proper system after I came to know quality/differences in systems.

I was writing my journey then I felt stupid ranting about my life so I just deleted it all and wrote this XD.

But thats just me, dosnt mean I didnt enjoy reading other peoples journeys :)
This forum really has a lot of good people onboard.

Thank AE. I hope the link between noida and faridabad will get better after that flyover on badarpur border is operational. Metro too should reduce some load on Mathura road. Earlier when I was in my own house, I was spending close to 2.5 - 3 hours every day on road- which meant reduced time for office and family. Decided to relocate closer to work, but miss that house. For last 2 years, I dream everyday of going back.

@ anm : Very touching....

Am sure things will happen for you in 2010. Meanwhile, lets try to get those SMGs up and working... Magnepan does have Full-repair kits and a large group of followers. You may want to later join one of their Forums.

Good Luck! :)

Hi Anant,

Very nicely written. Well, of late you have assembled quite a lot of stuff as I can gather from your posts and very enjoyable private communications I have had with you. So enjoy your music now, and let things take their own course. While it's important to get the better equipments for the budget, and one has to keep in touch to an extent with the hardware that is available, the ultimate goal is to listen to music and be engrossed in the music. I can bet (as I have said it elsewhere) that your HK 6550 amp will beat quite a few famed modern SS integrateds. You may get the circuit and think of replacing a few caps in the power supply part and you will be done for quite some time. I think this is necessary judging by the age of the amp. Talk to Cranky or Viren or even AE if he has the time (because he may be moving again). I do not have much idea about your speakers.

Regards.

PS: Today I am taking my 21 year old and fully working HK6300 amp to Cranky's place for similar stuff. Its caps were changed a few years back but probably by Chandni market local stuff. Cranky will take a look and hopefully will do the needful.

Thanks anm & really appreciate your thought & duties towards Family.
So journey is still on like me.

This is one of the most touching and insightful posts i have read on HFV - you may not have had the best stereo system, but your life is the stuff music aims to be - a story that moves you. Very well written

Hi,

Cranky very well put. My sentiments exactly.

Regards
Rajiv

@anm - very well stated story that many others are living through but do not have the courage to state as explicitly as you did.

The best thing about this hobby is that it can be done in small steps till you reach the point where you are happy with what you hear.

Be it stereo vs. multi, analouge vs. digital, monitors vs. floor standers or ..., enjoy what you have including family and hobbies. Life is too short and a great teacher....

Best wishes for the coming years.

Glad you were able to muster the courage required to take those hard decisions in life, anm. And all the best to you in your future endeavours.

Hi
Some lovely posts in this thread. Interesting to read & tells a little bit more about the member.

My Musical journey began right from as far back as I can remember. Both my parents were doctors. My mom gave up practice when I was born and decided to be a homemaker. My dad was then working for the Tata s (Tata Chem) and was posted in Mithapur, Gujarat. We had a huge home and a Grundig TT with electronics that I cant recall. Both my parents were heavily into music (NOT HIFI like me) I can see the gear & me enjoying the music in many of the pictures that I have managed to preserve. This was in 1969 and this bliss continued till my Dad suddenly passed away & we had to move to my maternal grand parents home in Bombay.

Here too there was a nice audio set up as my grand dad was heavily into Opera/classical & had a Quad set up (Yes the old ESLs with the monos that he had bought third hand). By the time I was about 10 my Grand dad(who was working in the CBI which was a transferable job) was nearing retirement and even with my mum restarting her practice, the finances were poor. Meanwhile my mum fell ill things just nose dived till she too passed away and things were hell. I dont think the stereo was even turned on for those years.
I think I was about 14 when I sold the quad speakers & bought myself a SONY ORSON deck,amp & speakers while retaining my TT.

Whatever the set up the music I inherited was a balm. I almost never went to college and days were spent in music, sports & in bad Co. By the time I was about 16 I was way off the straight & narrow and my Dads sister took me with her to Oxford where she was a neuro as it was impossible for old grand parents to 'control' me.
Those 2 years in UK were an eye opener as far as HIFI learning goes. Was exposed to loads of electronics. Worked part time at the local HIFI dealer and the old man was too kind.

Returned to bbay with marantz electronics and B&W speakers (everything was bought pre owned) and a sane mind! Completed my education and started work (at a large Brokerage firm at the BSE that belonged to my dads dad)and my HIFI journey resumed once again. Maternal Grand parents(who I was living with) were able to support themselves and I spent most of my money on HIFI, music & cricket/tennis gear. Would hire records( from melody & Vibrations) all thru the week and copy them on tapes.

Times were good financially and I could buy three audio set ups and place them in all the rooms of my home. Had a huge collections of inherited LPs and my own tapes. Meanwhile was gifted a Sony CDP and a few CDs by my aunt. Music was such an addiction that there were days when the set up was played for over 12 hours. Was enamoured by good tapedecks and had a lovely three head technics machine & the matching amp & speaker. Capitol electronics became a second home as some gear of mine was always there for repair.
I never spent on the big names then & almost always bought stuff pre owned. Would buy all sorts of cables and try out the wierdest of tweaks in order to get better sound.
Saved up a bit and bought the B&W 804s with a Bryston 4BST and moved into my own home alongwith my wife. Grand parents had moved on and the old flat and all my gear was left behind for my cousins to enjoy.

Have almost all the music even today between these two homes (actually a few Godrej cupboards!!) though the gear has been changing ever so often. Apart from a few LPS that I have retained for sentimental reasons all the rest are given off to friends, relatives and I have really concentrated on Cds.

Whatever set up I had or the frame of mind that I was in MUSIC was/ is always a huge part of my life.

Just last evening I went over to an old parsi widowers home as it was Navroze and I had been putting it off for a while. The old man (86!!!) shocked me with his passion for music, his massive collection of LPS/CDS and the icing on th cake was him playing the violin for my wife & me.

Best Rgds

Dinyaar,

With you there is always a positive side to life and it reflects in your writings. Great to know the story behind the man. It was a privilege to meet you personally recently in Bombay and listen to your system and be treated to a nice dinner. Thanks also to your wife.

In Ali's thread on stands, I have requested you to put up pictures of your current AV rack. Do a good job of it. Your previous pictures were not that well done :).

Are you enjoying your re-done home, new set-up etc? Looks like you are. All the best wishes.

Regards

Dinyaar,

With you there is always a positive side to life and it reflects in your writings. Great to know the story behind the man. It was a privilege to meet you personally recently in Bombay and listen to your system and be treated to a nice dinner. Thanks also to your wife.

In Ali's thread on stands, I have requested you to put up pictures of your current AV rack. Do a good job of it. Your previous pictures were not that well done :).

Are you enjoying your re-done home, new set-up etc? Looks like you are. All the best wishes.

Regards

Hi Asit,
Was a pleasure to have u over.
U are too generous with your compliments but thanks anyway.
Yes I look at things more positively now for sure. Its the only way forward.

Yes I will post some pics and I hope they are better than the ones I put up earlier:D:D

Actually this AV (sadly its AV now not just audio) rack design was in my mind for a while. Emphasis is on weight really. My Uncle (Real estate Developer) bought a building to demolish & redevelop which had some lovely wooden beams. I took all the wood I needed from those beams and got them sliced by a freind who makes furniture & exports. Once that was done the rack came up real soon.

Yes the old home needed a make over and it was long overdue. I have this habit of wanting to design/plan everything all by myself, without taking any professional help so there are bound to be a few mistakes. It was a really messy two months is all I can say. I guess the one thing that I truly love is the marble that I managed to get.
Rgds

Last edited:
Dinyaar - wonderful to read your experience! Long overdue in this thread too. Perhaps there is a case of declaring this thread as the best ever in all of Hifivision!

I dont think any other thread acknowledges that all of us are essentially human, fairly emotional and perhaps that is why we can find it in ourselves to get immersed completely in music and reproduction thereof.

Someday Dinyaar I will make it to Mumbai and we will catch up on music as well as cricket :). Likewise if you make it to Chennai of course.

Great post Dinyaar
Music and Life, without their inherent ups and downs ,would not be what they are. Also, without music, it would be so much more difficult to face life's upheavals.
Thanks for sharing
cheers
Himadri

Thanks Dinyaar for sharing, I was expecting your post since long time,finally got it today.

Big thank U to Vortex,Himadri & Spiro and all the others that I have bored to death with the long post!!!!!!!!

Spiro I was busy moving in & out of homes so was hardly active but better late than never I guess:D
Rgds

I don't really have good enough audio-video gears/ setup to talk much about. However, I think this thread is more about sharing our hi-fi journey than the hi-fi gears, so I am jumping in.

Like many of you the interest and passion was mainly on music. Mother had learned vocal (Hindustani classical) and Sitar, though she couldn't pursue further post marriage. Remember my early childhood days - watching my mother painstakingly cleaning her Sitar and harmonium during the weekends - I used to wonder why she wanted to keep those unused instruments neat & clean always. I think it was her influence that got my elder brother and myself into learning music during our young days. Both of us started learning Tabla. My big brother was more serious and surely more gifted/talented - so he went on to complete his senior diploma (6 years course) in music (Tabla, before even completing his 10th standard), performed and won in many district and state level music competitions and also played a few times in the local radio stations (All India Radio). I quit tabla after 4 years, but by then I (along with my brother) was hooked on to music. But that time our only source of audio/music was a big (almost as big as a current 15" CRT) Philips radio (I am talking about very early 80s here) - and the music that were being broadcast by AIR - mainly Bengali and Hindi songs. Soon (I think in 1982) I was gifted a tape recorder for something - I think I won some district level recitation competition or something like that. That is when we started listening to serious music - mainly classical/ semi classical (Hindustani), plus Tagore's songs, Bengali & Hindi songs, also instrumentals (Tabla-Sitar jugal-bandi, Sitar, Sarod, flute). Almost all of our pocket-money were spent on buying cassettes. There was always so many good audio cassettes - we always used to feel we will never be able to have all the collections that we would like to have. As we grew up, we also got attracted towards ghazals (mainly - Chhote Ghulam Ali and to a very limited extent Pankaj Udhas). I was also into serious sports - mainly badminton and later TT - played till district & state junior level tournaments. Other than school hours, I think I used to spend my time mostly on either playing (badminton/ TT) or listening to music. This continued till 10th. When I was in 9th standard, father bought a colour TV and that was the beginning of my fascination with video. During my PUC (11th/12th), I had little time for anything other than studies (had to give up badminton/TT completely), but still managed to keep in touch with music - courtesy that cassette player and lots of audio cassettes (mostly HMV & some T-series which just started flooding the market) and the TV.
Joined engg. college (Trichy) in 89. First few weeks were the ragging period, so had to manage w/o any music. First time I went out of the campus (with friends), I managed to find a few electronics shops (near RockFort temple) and after some audition-ing bought a Sony Walkman. That walkman was really a good one and served me well for the rest of my college life. In 3rd year, I managed to build a small system with 2 speakers (housed in 'matkas') and an amplifier and enjoyed my music.

Passed out of college in 93, joined a job and was staying with my elder brother in Hosur. We had a Philips cassette player (double deck) system and an ONIDA TV. In 98, I was looking around to buy a better music system, settled for the AKAI HT system with CD player (1000 W PMPO) - got 50 VCDs free with the system. Enjoyed playing music - mainly cassettes played from the cassestte player connected to the HT and some (very few) audio CDs. My love for ghazals grew further and by the end of 98, I had almost all of Jagjit Singh's collections besides many cassettes of Ghulam Ali. Also enjoyed watching movies with the HT.
Got married and moved to Bangalore in 99. Managed with the same basic HT and a TV till 2006. Moved to my own apt in mid 2006 and then started looking around for improving the AV setup - first bought a Sony HT - AZ7D - 530 W RMS (5500 W PMPO). I still have the same HT. Within a month after buying the HT, bought a 32" LCD (Samsung LA32R71). Enjoyed listening to music and watching movies using that setup. In 2008, I moved to bigger apt (a dulex). This time I could afford to have one dedicated room (actually a family room on the upper floor) - though not all that big (13.5 X 12 feet), but good enough as an entertainment room. Had the same setup (Sony HT + Sammy LCD) till 2009 end. This year, I am again in upgrade mood - bought a 42" LCD (42LH90) in Feb & A PS3 in March. Enjoying my movies, while my young (9 years) son is enjoying the gaming. But Music remains the main attraction - still spend a lot of time listening to my favorite music (ghazals, hindi songs, some semi clasicals, instrumentals) - I am still immersed into Indian music, not found time or developed much interest on Western music. And the journey continues ...

I now plan to get a better HT system and also try to have a projector-screen setup sometime soon. The temptation to upgrade will never end I guess ... especially when you are part of a forum where people have such wonderful and truly hi-fi AV systems ....

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back