Pls.post abt your journey to HiFi world

spirovious

Hi,

This will be interesting to know how each of us entered this world of hifi.
In my case music was my hoby since childhood.I used to get up listening to valve radio (Shankara)Which was sounding very best that time.Those days,I cld know only music & not what actual hifi is.

Then we got 1st 2 in 1 from Philips.Difference was clear with sound.It didnt have depth,but didnt know the cause why.I just took the spk out from old radio & mounted it on cabinate.Got a local amp & connected to Philips stereo.
Still sound was basic.I cld not get similar effect,Bass ,Depth.I cld here the difference in sound,but didnt know the cause.Meanwhile I used to record songs on blank tapes.I used to wonder how system in music shops sound so good than mine.I asked him & came to know they are professional systems & cost around 20k(out of budget that time).

I just dragged everything & once visited a AV expo from in Bandra.I was really surprised by new av world.I cld know new equipments & then decided to get my 1st HT system.Those days Budget was still tight.I cld know now systems from Onkyo,Denon,Yamaha.I started from Onida DVDp 7001 & still with me.Then after 1yr I cld get my 1st ONK HTS-580 system.

Meanwhile I found HFV on googling & just joined as I was sure I can get proper guidance here from Indian ears for systems available here.I got Tannoy spk on recommendation from here.Now I have learned a little abt sound & started sharing with you here.Journey is still on.

So it will be good to know how you joined the Hifiworld.
Pls.share your journey,

Thanks.

When I am studying 6th Std.. there was a TV called Dyanora( spelling is right i forgot) in my friends house,, TV is very rare those days in all houses.. which one of the vey good TV in the market and comes with wooden construction all around in box with sliding door for closing the TV... It is having a good big speaker in front which resembled the present HIFi system of sony which will give a tremendous bass( that time) which i am inclined.. I had an sony walkman which was presented by my uncle and few cassetes with that.. I tried to connect with that to hear a bighhh sound and it has reproduced a very good sound with good bass other than ANYTHING what i head that time.....:)

My friend bought an two channel amplifier & speakers were assembled in a Sand made POT...It sounds good that time..:lol:

There i started my Hifi Journey and still it is going... But still I remember the old dyanora TV which reproduced a very good sound from Walkman....

When I am studying 6th Std.. there was a TV called Dyanora( spelling is right i forgot) in my friends house,, TV is very rare those days in all houses.. which one of the vey good TV in the market and comes with wooden construction all around in box with sliding door for closing the TV... It is having a good big speaker in front which resembled the present HIFi system of sony which will give a tremendous bass( that time) which i am inclined.. I had an sony walkman which was presented by my uncle and few cassetes with that.. I tried to connect with that to hear a bighhh sound and it has reproduced a very good sound with good bass other than ANYTHING what i head that time.....:)

My friend bought an two channel amplifier & speakers were assembled in a Sand made POT...It sounds good that time..:lol:

There i started my Hifi Journey and still it is going... But still I remember the old dyanora TV which reproduced a very good sound from Walkman....

Man ,
Speaker In a Pot Sounds Like a Good DIY Idea .

yea,a journey its turned out to be allright :p!!always loved music since i was a kid,so much so that got some rudimentary training in classical vocal and stopped the moment my voice started breakin.damn them pubertal hormones,ha ha!!was too embarassed to continue with vocal,but by that time had already learned to play the harmonium,wee bit of the tabla so my journey in indian classical continued culminating in being part of my school orchestra troupe for a good 8yrs or so.my parents being in germany circa 1981 bought a beautiful setup,components from sony-linear turntable/tuner/cassette deck-aluminium finish,feathertouch!! buttons,dont remember the model nos(TA/AX/? series) with a pair of bose 301's.was the most incredible piece of kit i heard then,and cost my dad a better part of 100k at the time:sad:!!used to listen to mj thriller/beatles/kid creole/mozart as they were the only lps we had then.heh.unfortunately could indulge in this setup only durin my vacations as my parents shifted all over europe and i was in ooty,a boarder.had a crown walkman with 3!! cassettes for company then.by 1992 i left school and my parents were back on home soil and was horrified to find the speaker cones destroyed,and the components just about a few feet away from their grave.couldn even get them repaired,but by now i was determined to get somethin and keep it well,not to mention just play the hell out of it!post 1st yr mbbs,with some funds(accumulated gifts) from my relatives,bought myself a mini hifi,a sony fhb 22.kept it for a good 10 yrs,loved it.my room in college used to be one of those 'music always on,friends always around'.the complaints kept comin,and on more than one occasion did i find myself locked out of my own room,cos my friends were havin a party inside :mad:.oh well.all this while kept dreamin of a real world,budget,entry level,separates system of my own.googling my a** off for a few years,salivating at all the big brands,goin thru technical(greek!!) terms,finally stumbled upon this great site.by this time had garnered enuf funds/courage to dive into this"audiophile heaven".post registering,a few polite queries,encouraging replies from mars/afj/particleman/many others(forgive my missin ur names brothers,u all know who u are,u have given me a lot more than i could possibly reciprocate.very indebted) and voila!!!found myself watchin anand from decibels inc,blore setting up my VERY OWN 2ch setup in my bedroom :yahoo:!!since that day life has never been the same,musically speaking.oh,what a journey its been.the mother of all buys continues to elude me,maybe in a few yrs,but am lovin every minute of it folks.enjoy ur music.cheers

Last edited:
If there can be some structure in the form of sentences, spaces and paragraphs, I can attempt to read it. :)

yea,a journey its turned out to be allright :p!!always loved music since i was a kid,so much so that got some rudimentary training in classical vocal and stopped the moment my voice started breakin.damn them pubertal hormones,ha ha!!was too embarassed to continue with vocal,but by that time had already learned to play the harmonium,wee bit of the tabla so my journey in indian classical continued culminating in being part of my school orchestra troupe for a good 8yrs or so.my parents being in germany circa 1981 bought a beautiful setup,components from sony-linear turntable/tuner/cassette deck-aluminium finish,feathertouch!! buttons,dont remember the model nos(TA/AX/? series) with a pair of bose 301's.was the most incredible piece of kit i heard then,and cost my dad a better part of 100k at the time:sad:!!used to listen to mj thriller/beatles/kid creole/mozart as they were the only lps we had then.heh.unfortunately could indulge in this setup only durin my vacations as my parents shifted all over europe and i was in ooty,a boarder.had a crown walkman with 3!! cassettes for company then.by 1992 i left school and my parents were back on home soil and was horrified to find the speaker cones destroyed,and the components just about a few feet away from their grave.couldn even get them repaired,but by now i was determined to get somethin and keep it well,not to mention just play the hell out of it!post 1st yr mbbs,with some funds(accumulated gifts) from my relatives,bought myself a mini hifi,a sony fhb 22.kept it for a good 10 yrs,loved it.my room in college used to be one of those 'music always on,friends always around'.the complaints kept comin,and on more than one occasion did i find myself locked out of my own room,cos my friends were havin a party inside :mad:.oh well.all this while kept dreamin of a real world,budget,entry level,separates system of my own.googling my a** off for a few years,salivating at all the big brands,goin thru technical(greek!!) terms,finally stumbled upon this great site.by this time had garnered enuf funds/courage to dive into this"audiophile heaven".post registering,a few polite queries,encouraging replies from mars/afj/particleman/many others(forgive my missin ur names brothers,u all know who u are,u have given me a lot more than i could possibly reciprocate.very indebted) and voila!!!found myself watchin anand from decibels inc,blore setting up my VERY OWN 2ch setup in my bedroom :yahoo:!!since that day life has never been the same,musically speaking.oh,what a journey its been.the mother of all buys continues to elude me,maybe in a few yrs,but am lovin every minute of it folks.enjoy ur music.cheers

Nice thread Spirovious. I will post my story too sometime soon.

Srini, speaker in a pot. You got me nostalgic:). Been there, done that. Thanks for reminding me about those childhood days.

Enjoyed reading this man. Raghav is right, but still I managed to read it fully because of your flow and narration. BTW, Anand from decibels is a nice chap. Even I came across him in my when he was a part of Totalsound.

Hi,

Well i think this may turn out to be a nice thread whipping up nostalgia for many here!

Well here goes... When i was around 20-21 i went with my friends to Bangalore for a jolly trip.There we went to a relative's house of my friend. I got to see a Stereo amp for the first time there.Till then i was not even aware that a gadget like that even existed:D We were taken aback by the quality of sound that was played.The volume was up and still we could converse with each other easily.We were wowed for sure. We were used to only two in ones up to then.

Well its seems light years ago:) Then i bought a Sony stand alone CDP and was using it for some time with a pair of philips speakers thro the aiwa vcd system:rolleyes:

But was always interested in HT systems rather than music. Then i stumbled upon this AV forum HIFI-FORUM: Hififorum fuer Audio, Hifi, High End, Musik, Stereo, TV, Surround und Heimkino und Car-Hifi. Here i was introduced to HIFI atleast in theory.Came to know about the dedicated stereo system for music.
Knew about the intl brands like Yamaha,Marantz,Denon,Onkyo,Wharfedale ad Indian brands like Sonodyne,Norge,Pulz.

The first HIFI item bought was my present Marantz stereo amp. Well thanks to this forum i now got a dedicated stereo,a HT and a TT and a pair of excellent Wharfedales:) And added a Plasma too 2 days back.

Can't thank the forum guys enough:clapping:

cheers,
sri

even we had a dyanora.. that tv was so nice... used almost for 20 years, with no problems at all... now working still fine in my neighbours house..

If there can be some structure in the form of sentences, spaces and paragraphs, I can attempt to read it. :)

heh,true raghav.just typin it all was such a pain :p,hence the torrential downpour of a compressed 15+yrs sans structural etiquette.cheers

Thans for sharing here friends.
My 1st CRT was Digichrome which was semi digital that time with scart in.A real natural performer.Nelco was 1st B&W crt.

For me Things started, when we purchased an AKAI (Silver/Black Finish) Stereo (Family friend got it from Singapore). A Fantastic Stereo tape recorder which I miss even today. Tried (DIY) various types of box-less speakers with the player to achieve the Heaven (BASS) :D but NO SUCCESS . When I was in 8th, I got a Stereo Cassette DECK (That's the word). But no BOXY speakers were allowed at home (NO BOOMS) :mad:. Tried CAR SPEAKERS at home (Kept in steel containers), AHA! 50% mission accomplished. But only for a few days (Those containers were used to store urad dal, rice and etc.. at home :D). Well managed that DECK for 2 years (what an achievement) and finally after my SSLC exams got over , I started to place my requests for a DECK with EQUALIZERS , DANCING LEDS :)D) and 2 BIG BIG SPEAKER boxes. Finally , YES Finally I got those things (After convincing my parents about the SSLC results :D). Enjoyed those for a few years. Then Concentrated completely on Education (Lost interest in achieving heaven (BASS). One fine day, A known person to us came with an offer. An AHUJA cassette deck (with amplifier) was for sale and can be had for 1750/-. Now that was a very good offer. Purchased that and paired them with the old BIG BIG boxes I had. Target 75% achieved. Enjoyed the SET for 3 years. Sold that Whole SET for 2000/- to a friend . 6 months no music for me (Lost Interest). Then One day , While shopping in Jayanagar 4th Block , came across a dedicated A/V Shop (Music Ranch). Went in for a demo, Mukesh suggested An Yamaha amp (rx-36???) and space 2.1 system (Limited budget). Enjoyed them for a year and thought of upgrading. While searching the web came to know of this FORUM and joined in. Purchased a TEAC AG 790 amp, 1160d Cd player with POLK tsi100 (Limited Budget). Now in the process of upgrading again by Jan end
:)D Forum Ke Side Effects).

This thread is a 5 star material :).

Last edited:
one of the constants it seems in any indian audiophile's journey (though i would like to call mine just tottering, faltering baby steps) are those pots over which we put our speakers all for the sake of better bass...
i was therefore quite intrigued that even hundreds of years ago the the romans were trying something 'similar' in their amphitheaters...
meant to start another thread titled 'audiphile history' but thought it too grandiose a title to sustain..
anyway i am talking about the vitruvian resonating vases...http://www.philophony.com/pages/cr1470s.pdf...
you could read more about this remarkable roman architect in Vitruvius On Architecture, translated by Richard Schofield, Penguin Classics 2009, ISBN 978-0-141-44168-9.
..of course i am sure similar stories could also be (and perhaps has been) told about the efforts made in ancient india towards attaining better sound...in courts, temples, public and private performances....

Last edited:
Tried CAR SPEAKERS at home (Kept in steel containers), AHA! 50% mission accomplished.
This thread is a 5 star material :).

Well if you are rating my thread as 5star,then really thanks.
I did reconing pioneer car spk from shop & connected to local amp.
Sound was not that gr8,but OK.
Sound depends on magnet size too.I was very happy to do DIY with little knowledge.I even added extra Bass/Treble circuit in series with amp to gain Bass,but only treble was raise & Bass a bit.:D

anyway i am talking about the vitruvian resonating vases...http://www.philophony.com/pages/cr1470s.pdf...
you could read more about this remarkable roman architect in Vitruvius On Architecture, translated by Richard Schofield, Penguin Classics 2009, ISBN 978-0-141-44168-9.
..of course i am sure similar stories could also be (and perhaps has been) told about the efforts made in ancient india towards attaining better sound...in courts, temples, public and private performances....

Hemholtz type resonators have been used since many many centuries in all civilizations. You can make yours as well by buying a few decorative large clay pots with narrow necks and filling sand to varying levels depending on which frequencies you want tamed, and covering the mouth with a cloth.

The array of musical instruments developed and used in India (including those abandoned by other civilizations) is testimony to the Indian expertise in acoustics.

Cheers

Interesting thread. My journey in the hi fi world has been really quite limited, but with music it's been a bit longer, so I am taking the liberty of talking about my journey with music.

As with most people on this forum I've loved music since I was a kid. I've always loved to sing (which is not to be confused with having any talent).

Whether it is learning carnatic music for a few years and then quitting on the grounds that i wanted to learn Karate (which I never did), singing malayalam songs using 'song books' that were available for Rs. 2, singing in the shower, or singing in some school musicals and with a little band that we had in school, I've been singing in some form or the other since I was a kid.

This little band actually managed to get into the studio and record a demo tape of 3 original compositions when we were in 12th grade (financed solely by my wonderfully generous parents who could barely afford it). The songs and the recording were awful, but I still feel quite proud of it :).

In college we assembled a barbershop quartet of dodgy competence, and even dodgier commitment. We butchered many classics including 'seven bridges road', 'stand by me', 'donna' and 'scarborough fair.' In college I also picked up the guitar and taught myself to play it really badly, and played and sang all kinds of nonsense, eventually becoming the rhythm guitarist for the college band solely on the basis of the "in the land of the blind..." principle.

Also got interested in organising the college rock festival (strawberry fields, in case anyone's heard of it) which I must say we did a bang-up job of. With a budget that was 1/10th of that of the IITs we put together a festival that even the guys from the IITs acknowledged was superior in virtually every regard. We aggressively promoted the idea of original music in competitions by dedicating a whole 30 marks out of 100 for 'originality' and witnessed the transformation from 1999 when every band played an iron maiden cover and few bands had original songs to 2003 when there was not a single iron maiden cover, and every band had at least one original song.

Wow, i've really rambled on haven't I? Sorry about that. My hi fi journey started with a pair of audioengine 2s, and has now been replaced by my Marantz CD63SE + NAD C320BEE + Usher S520 combination, for the most part guided and inspired by hifivision which i discovered while looking to buy an LCD TV (ended up buying a plasma). I enjoy listening to music on this setup and am fully hooked on this audio thing, and will definitely be a victim of upgraditis sooner or later.

lovely read psycho :D.many thanx to spiro for this thread.if i may plagiarise the "life is a.." bit and rephrase,"audiophile manna is a journey,and never the destination.to say that one has arrived means only that we havent travelled at all".cheers

Last edited:
psychotropic- So you started from basic,singing & then trying for Karate?
A different chemestry.:eek:hyeah:
Nice journey.

Way back in the late 70's my father was sold a mono 2-in-1 by a friend. It was a JVC and sounded so sweet to my ears at that time. Had only a couple of cassettes and boy did I wear the poor old JVC's head by playing them over and over again.

Dad then bought a Philips turntable+integrated amp. My uncle bought one too only his was better than ours. His speakers were bigger too. Were 2 way and were rectangular. Ours was a perfect square and had just 1 fullrange driver. At least I think it was a FR. Sounded nice. Dad had all these old country and western LP's and some western classical. Had a lot of EP's too. With my own money, the first LP I bought was Lionel Richies - Can't slow down. Next came the Tina Turner album. After that came the Footloose album. And more and more. Brings back fond memories. At that time the only intention was to crank up the volume and feel the kick of bass in your gut. I say bass for whatever the Philips spat out by way of boom. The speakers were mounted on the wall at the edges of the ceiling and walls 16 feet higher than the floor. It's a wonder we could hear anything at all. The speaker cables were plain electric cord. Multi stranded. Twisted too - by design not by intent and this in the early 80's.

My friend had a brother who was working [we were kids then] and he bought a National cassette deck+integrated amplifier. The speakers were tiny for that time. Those days the speakers used to be huge from the Japanese manufacturers so these were maybe about 20" high x 12" wide. Their grilles had wooden carvings [I kid you not!] backed by cloth. When we pumped up the bass, we would stare in wonder at the woofers straining and pulsating. That was my first taste of "good" sound. I longed to own and get my father to buy something like that but we had more important things to spend on. My friends brother then bought a Sony walkman. Was the first iteration of the Walkman series. I still remember the first time I listened to it - goose bumps emerged. How could something so small sound so good. I then wanted a Walkman desperately. Dad agreed because it wasn't as expensive as buying a cassette deck. Problem was where to buy it from. My uncle was due back from the Middle East for his annual vacation so I wrote [snail mail - no email those days] to him requesting him to buy a Walkman for me - only my wishlist was exactly that - wishful - I wanted something slimmer than a Sony, better sounding than a Sony and with more features than a Sony and if he couldn't get something like that - buy me a Sony please. When he came back - he had fulfilled my "wish". He bought me a Sharp Walkman - it was around half the thickness of the Sony, had Auto reverse [unheard of in a portable those days], had bass boost, Dolby NR and a sh**load of features. Best of all - it sounded BETTER than the Sony. I wonder why Sharp did not get popular for it's Walkmen. They were goooood. I used it day in and day out. It used AAA batteries that were not available in India so I had to use it with a AC/DC adapter. So much for portability. I was literally chained to the electric socket. Who cared. I had music and music that sounded good. My friends had their "decks" - poor me had my Walkman. They used to pump up the volume for the whole neighbourhood to hear. I used to pump up the volume to numb just my ears.

My first job was in the Middle East in Qatar. Spent [wasted] 3 years there in a misguided career move. I went beserk there. Was 19, earned a lot of money for that time and did not know what to spend it on. In 3 years, I bought around 300 cassettes. Salary day was cassette buying day. All the salesmen in the cassette shops in the malls knew me. I think I was their favourite customer. They did not have to sell me anything because I knew what I wanted. More music. You see in my early college days, I used to buy a mag named "Sun". It was a trendsetter and they published the top ten albums or tracks of the week or month - I forgot which. I used to read those lists again and again and they were imprinted at the back of my mind. I couldn't buy those albums in India because no one had even heard of them. In Qatar, browsing through the racks of pirated "Thompsun" cassettes, the names of many artistes on the cassette cover used to come together with the ones imprinted in my mind. I would buy them without a second thought. Whatever artiste/band I had even remotely heard of - I bought. As a result, I have many gems and many duds. All on cassette.
Was introduced to Country music by people twice and even thrice my age whom I was living with there. I still love Country music. Was introduced to rock bands I had never even heard of. Saga, Asia, CCR, Toto to name a few. There was F.R. David who sang sentimental songs in a falsetto. Try him. In those days, in India, popular rock bands were just AC/DC, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. With my first salary - I wanted to buy the biggest meanest amplifier there. Was expensive so couldn't afford to spend so much on it. A Technics. 100 W + 100 W RMS. SUV-650. Class AA [Ha!]. I had to wait for the month of Ramadan [called Ramzan here] - that was when everything went on sale - like Black Friday. That month the sale had being going on from the beginning of Ramadan and was ending at the end of the month when we got paid. Salary day, I rushed to the National shop straight from work. Wanted a brand new amp. The salesman said that it was all sold out except for the one on demo and that I could buy that if I wanted. I was shattered. The price for the new and the one on demo was the same. Should I buy the one on demo? How many people had touched it? How many hours was it used? The sale was ending today. Finally it was too good to resist. I bought it. I still have it with me. Will never sell it. Of course it does not sound as refined as the newer amps. Antique equipment never does. Sentimentally we think they do. Like valve equipment and like vinyl. Don't flame me for this - It's just my opinion and I'm entitled to have one. The Technics is a beast. A monster. And a dinosaur. But the roar still shakes me [and the neighbours] up whenever it is hooked up.
The salesman said that for an amp like that - I needed Pioneer speakers. Now those days Pioneer was right up the pecking order along with Nakamichi and the salesman said that Technics speakers just wouldn't make the cut. I heard [auditioned would be considered a dirty word back then] both - he was right. The Pioneers were smaller than the Technics but sounded so much better. Were double the weight of the Technics though. Problem was - I couldn't afford to pay the extra baggage to India if I bought them. So I didn't. I wrote a letter to a friend in India asking him if speakers that could take 100 W pc were available locally. Glory be. They were. The Arphi Aquarius. The day I returned from Doha - I bought them from some shop in Hill Road @ Bandra who were the authorized dealers. They were humongous. Sounded good too. Dad threw a fit looking at the size. Refused to let them in the living room. They were kept packed in the bedroom for 5 years. I unpacked them and listened to them at times - when Dad was away. They were in the same position for so long in the bedroom, that due to their weight the floor tiles they were on descended a couple of inches. No kidding. I gave them away to a friend's brother who lusted after them.

For me the best part of my foray in hi-fi has been the discovery process and the anticipation to attain something. Once attained, it always has been sort of an anti-climax. The end always was not as hot as I thought it would be.

Hey, I can't believe I wrote so much. And there is so much still unsaid :lol:

Last edited:
Is nice to read a long way to hifiworld.
Even interesting to know when one got difference from regular minicompo from Philips/Sony in regular Electroic shops.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back