Pls Recommend some good bands similar to Goo Goo Dolls, Creed etc.

marX

Hi!

I'm a big fan fan of Creed and Goo Goo Dolls and I'm wondering if there is any artists/bands similar to them having some kind of commercial success!

Also, it would be great if you mention your favourite albums too and yeah, which is better, buying a "Greatest hits" album vs their individual albums.

Thanks!

Last edited:
You might like -

Pearl Jam (Creed's vocalist sounds very much like Eddie Vedder)
Collective Soul
Rage against the machine
Faith No More

"Greatest Hits" is a good way of getting into a new band as direction tends to change over time and you can, to some extent, figure out which era of the band you like and then go explore with albums. Albums, IMO will give you a better insight into the band than just the hits...

Check Counting Crows - very similar band but superior in most respects.

Films about Ghosts is their best of album.

What about their albums, do you like all of them?
If not, I think it's better to get the "Greatest hits" instead of buying every album.

What do you think?

You might like -

Pearl Jam (Creed's vocalist sounds very much like Eddie Vedder)
Collective Soul
Rage against the machine
Faith No More

"Greatest Hits" is a good way of getting into a new band as direction tends to change over time and you can, to some extent, figure out which era of the band you like and then go explore with albums. Albums, IMO will give you a better insight into the band than just the hits...

Thanks man, I'll check them out.

Bought "Number 1: Pearl jam", "Collective Soul" by Collective Soul", Hits collection by Gorillaz and "Hits" by Boyzone.

Last edited:
What about their albums, do you like all of them?
If not, I think it's better to get the "Greatest hits" instead of buying every album.

What do you think?

Try out Films about Ghosts and see if you like them. If you do, then try the other albums. Getting those on CD would be difficult though.

A huge part of the alternative scene was the grunge movement. Many of the later bands (not Goo Goo Dolls, but fairly certain about Creed) that were part of the alternative movement were hugely inspired by grunge.

I too grew up with this music, and chances are that if you like alternative bands in general, you might find the grunge bands interesting too. Maybe you won't like many of them, but their music is distinct indeed and you might hear their reflections in other alternative bands.

Grunge was the counter-culture answer to the commercial metal and rock bands that dominated the 80s. You know, hair metal, glam metal, those big theatrical bands with tons of makeup, lots of leather, huge crowds, shock value, face painting, etc.

Grunge de-emphasised all the clothing and makeup, and focused more on music. The lyrics mostly spoke about every day life instead of fantastical and/or satanistic themes. Note: the lyrics would still get fairly dark and brooding, often speaking about drug problems etc. BUt it was more connected to real life problems, not about poetic ballads, etc. The clothing too was "grungy" or what a typical blue collared worker would wear. Casual, flannels, jeans, etc. You have to note that this in itself was a big shift from the commercial rock scene of those days. The alternative movement copied much of this ethos.

I might even know why you dislike Nirvana - after all, they ended up becoming what they themselves resented (at one level). A problem which many bands face by the way. Start out by being indie, garage, counter-culture, and end up becoming mainstream, commercial, and all that nonsense.

If you want a true dip in the grunge pool, try Alice In Chains. It takes some getting used to, and be warned - it is extremely dark and brooding, but it is also nothing like you will ever hear. Listen to Down In A Hole, Dirt, and Would. Again, one of those bands whose music you may or may not like, but much of the alternative scene was heavily influenced by Chains.

Other stuff to try out - Seasons (motion picture soundtrack - possibly the only OST that can give you an instant primer into the grunge scene).

Other commercially successful grunge bands
- Soundgarden (with an Indian guitarist! - recommended albums - Superunknown and Down On The Upside)
- Stone Temple Pilots (albums - Core and Purple)
- Pearl Jam (of course! - but you should listen to their first two albums first - Ten and Versus)

If you want to hear one of the very early grunge songs - this one would be it. This is actually not a typical grunge song but there's a ton of history to this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HffbME_B7JQ

A huge part of the alternative scene was the grunge movement. Many of the later bands (not Goo Goo Dolls, but fairly certain about Creed) that were part of the alternative movement were hugely inspired by grunge.

I too grew up with this music, and chances are that if you like alternative bands in general, you might find the grunge bands interesting too. Maybe you won't like many of them, but their music is distinct indeed and you might hear their reflections in other alternative bands.

Grunge was the counter-culture answer to the commercial metal and rock bands that dominated the 80s. You know, hair metal, glam metal, those big theatrical bands with tons of makeup, lots of leather, huge crowds, shock value, face painting, etc.

Grunge de-emphasised all the clothing and makeup, and focused more on music. The lyrics mostly spoke about every day life instead of fantastical and/or satanistic themes. Note: the lyrics would still get fairly dark and brooding, often speaking about drug problems etc. BUt it was more connected to real life problems, not about poetic ballads, etc. The clothing too was "grungy" or what a typical blue collared worker would wear. Casual, flannels, jeans, etc. You have to note that this in itself was a big shift from the commercial rock scene of those days. The alternative movement copied much of this ethos.

I might even know why you dislike Nirvana - after all, they ended up becoming what they themselves resented (at one level). A problem which many bands face by the way. Start out by being indie, garage, counter-culture, and end up becoming mainstream, commercial, and all that nonsense.

If you want a true dip in the grunge pool, try Alice In Chains. It takes some getting used to, and be warned - it is extremely dark and brooding, but it is also nothing like you will ever hear. Listen to Down In A Hole, Dirt, and Would. Again, one of those bands whose music you may or may not like, but much of the alternative scene was heavily influenced by Chains.

Other stuff to try out - Seasons (motion picture soundtrack - possibly the only OST that can give you an instant primer into the grunge scene).

Other commercially successful grunge bands
- Soundgarden (with an Indian guitarist! - recommended albums - Superunknown and Down On The Upside)
- Stone Temple Pilots (albums - Core and Purple)
- Pearl Jam (of course! - but you should listen to their first two albums first - Ten and Versus)

If you want to hear one of the very early grunge songs - this one would be it. This is actually not a typical grunge song but there's a ton of history to this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HffbME_B7JQ

Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup::)

Yeah, I hate the old style Rock bands...really poor in terms of the message it conveys.
Also, dark stuff is not welcome too even though I like bands like Led Zeppelin.

Alice In Chains!! Man, I don't know why aren't they in my collection. They are awesome and I have heard great things about SoundGarden too.

BTW, any one here like a band called Audioslave?

Last edited:
I've heard a few songs of theirs. They sound a lot like Soundgarden! I quite liked the few songs I heard - but haven't done justice to them.

Audioslave, for some reason, reminded me of Queens Of The Stone Age. Possibly because both were formed mostly from ex-members from other big bands.

Again, I think you might like their music.

Here's a nice song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcHKOC64KnE

(Check out their acoustic songs on youtube. It is amazing how tightly they perform, even when performing live and with non-amplified instruments)

Queens of the stone age...another band I forgot.
Heard one of their song in an NFS game and I was hooked.

OFFTOPIC:

How good is iTunes as a music sourcing platform instead of buying CDs ?
Is it possible to get all of their songs in their catalog in lossless format (LAAC for example) ?

I'm asking this coz lots of "rare" tracks are available in iTunes for download !!

Also, does iTunes support the "verified with visa" Indian debit cards?

I've been using iTunes for about 6-8 months now and found it quite a good platform to get legal music at reasonable rates. Max of 120-150 for a latest release doesn't hurt much, and they often have fantastic prices for back catalog releases (I got several Yes albums remastered editions for just 20-30 bucks).

No lossless, but SQ is decent (256k or thereabouts MP4/AAC codec), and yes I used an Indian Visa card so no issues with payments

I've been using iTunes for about 6-8 months now and found it quite a good platform to get legal music at reasonable rates. Max of 120-150 for a latest release doesn't hurt much, and they often have fantastic prices for back catalog releases (I got several Yes albums remastered editions for just 20-30 bucks).

No lossless, but SQ is decent (256k or thereabouts MP4/AAC codec), and yes I used an Indian Visa card so no issues with payments

No lossless ?
Ouch :sad:

Gonna download the iTunes anyway coz the songs I'm looking for is only in iTunes !

Last edited:
I've heard a few songs of theirs. They sound a lot like Soundgarden! I quite liked the few songs I heard - but haven't done justice to them.

Possibly because chris cornell is vocalist for both the bands :). Thumbs up for your recommendation of chains. rooster and rain when I die was staple in college days. And ofcourse man in the box.

I haven't heard either creed or ggd but would recommend - the white stripes (elephant), a perfect circle (thriteenth step) and for harder sound, tool (lateralus) and smashing pumpkins (siamese dream).

Sorry, my recommendations are slightly dated as I do not get enough time to explore modern music scene.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back