Pls suggest projection screen setup

rshri

Hi,

I will move to my new house by the end of this month where I have a small room by myself to do home theater setup.

FYI I already have a 50 inch Sony Grand Wega TV and Onkyo 5.1 AV Receiver + surround speakers setup in the living room of my present old house. I have been using it for past 2 years and I am very satisfied.

In my new house, I want to introduce projector (most likely, Optoma HD65) and a projection screen in the existing setup. Question is how?
The problem is that I don't want to "retire" my Sony TV. I still want to use it for my normal movie viewing. So old setup will have to remain undisturbed.
Additionally, I will occasionally use projector with same surround sound system (with fixed speakers). Since speakers will not move, the projection screen will have to be placed exactly where TV is. How to make this work?

I can think of 2 solutions -

1) I buy a commercial retractable screen that can be mounted on ceiling. I will mount it on ceiling just in front of TV's position (parallel to it), so that when the screen is pulled down, the TV gets hidden behind the screen.
Problem here is - Are any such ceiling mountable screen available in India that can be affixed to Indian concrete ceilings? Also, my ceiling maybe too high. Does ceiling mounting allows distance from ceiling to be adjusted?

2) Make a DIY screen on a wooden frame with stand. Place it on side during TV usage and drag it in front of TV whenever projector is required to be turned on.
Problem here is - Fixed frame screen will get dirty very soon while standing idly. Also building this is a project by itself. It maybe expensive and quality may not be very good

Requesting you to please comment on this. Please let me know your own ideas and suggestions.

Thanks!!

Hi,
I have gone in for option 1 for my setup. I have wall mounted my LCD, and i have a pull down retractable screen mounted on the ceiling, around 4 inches from the LCD (effectively around 12 inches from the wall on which the LCD is mounted.) Doesnt look shabby and doesnt cost you much. FYI, mine is a 100" diagonal 16:9 screen which i purchased in bangalore. i would be glad to give you the reference. PM me.
Regards
Murali

I remember I also had the similar problem once but then I came up with the idea of an L shaped bracket made either from metal or wood. I have my LCD mounted on the wall and I have a 92" 16:9 retractable screen mounted on the same wall with the help of the L shaped wooden brackets made by a carpenter, always remember to put a support at the right angle of the L shaped bracket to stop the bracket from bending while pulling the screen.
Now measure the distance between the wall and your LCD TV and add 0.25" - 0.5" to the lenght of the top portion of the L shaped bracket, by doing this when you pull your screen the LCD would hide right behind your screen.

Guys, Thanks for your replies!

The problem that I see with this ceiling mounted retractable screen is - Since, there is no wall behind it, it will flutter if fan is on! Apart from fan, wind from window or air from AC will also make the screen sway. Have you experienced this problem?

Manu, you are one lucky guy!
I recently lost my job, so I have shelved my plans for projector, I will come back when I financially on my feet again. Maybe I will contact Manu to learn how to import screen again.

Manu, you are one lucky guy!
I recently lost my job, so I have shelved my plans for projector, I will come back when I financially on my feet again. Maybe I will contact Manu to learn how to import screen again.

don't worry bro

you'll definitely get better job than first one :)

i import it by a projector screen dealer in my city :)

Guys, sorry for reviving this old thread! I have come back in market after a long period of inactivity!
Please check my first post regarding screen setup suggestions. I am in the new house now and want to setup a projector. I am open to all possible advice regarding screen setup.

If you want to mount your screen through the ceiling then you can go in with the customised mannual pull down or motorised screen with Extra Masking on the top to cover the extra height of the ceiling.

Ashish

If you want to mount your screen through the ceiling then you can go in with the customised mannual pull down or motorised screen with Extra Masking on the top to cover the extra height of the ceiling.
Ashish

Thanks Ashish! Can you please provide some sample pic of such masked pull down screen setup?
Also won't a suspended screen like this flutter when fan/AC is on?

Thanks Ashish! Can you please provide some sample pic of such masked pull down screen setup?
Also won't a suspended screen like this flutter when fan/AC is on?

At present the sample pics are not there with me but if you ever travel to Mumbai then you can see the same at Lakozy Mumbai.
Yes thats one of the biggest problem of Pull Down screens that they flutter with the Fan but I never noticed it with AC unless and untill the blowers are positioned towards the screen. To overcome this problem you can always hang some weight from the bottom of the sccreen.

Air Condition

It is better to have a AC in the room so there will be no question of screen flutter while hanging weights for sure will look very bad, there are other benefits with AC that your gadgets will have a longer life and you will enjoy the movie in better comfort and will try to keep you away from visiting a theatre.

V.

I do have AC in room but many times its not hot enough for AC and only fan is required to be run. It will seem like a waste to turn on AC just for screen's stability
I am thinking of trying a large painted laminate sheet as projector screen. I will place it in front of TV whenever I turn on projector. This way picture display will neither flutter nor wrinkle. I will put it away when I watch normal TV

I just read somewhere that no matter how great the projector is, the projected display is only as good as screen used :)
I guess instead of going for a cheap alternatives, one should buy expensive high quality screens when using a quality projector. If you are willing to buy 80K projector, then you should also be willing to set aside 20K for screen, otherwise its pointless to go for 1080p projector.
Guys, what is the "life" of quality screens like Da-Lite? I mean to say, how long before surface becomes uneven & "wavy". Is it possible to clean these screens if they become dirty?

Dalite Screen - Maintanance

It is very true that the projector and quality of screen should compliment each other.

I am having a dalite screen which rolls automatically up and down when projector is on and off, there is a trigger facility in the projector by which such activity takes place, this results in auto maintenance.

The screens from dalite has to be very good after all i understand they are world leaders in quality screens. The life of a screen will purely depend upon how well you use it, if there is a fan in such room then there could be dust moving around the room which was advised by sanjay, but if the room has an a/c, without windows, and a dedicated room then life of the screen is bound to be much better, on the other hand one should never touch the screen, it should be promptly rolled upon once you are through with the movie. I am using the screen since last 4 years, there is no issue at all when it comes to uneven, wavy etc, the screens will not get dirty if such said care is taken, on the other hand there are fibre based screens which are very expensive, here you can clean them easily with proper liquid solutions, these screens can last you a life time.

The link for fibre screen is :

Try the different options and imagine how great Supernova will look in your home!

V.

Last edited:
@vinay,
Your Da-Lite screen is not fibre based? What is it then? Can it be cleaned with wet cloth?
Also, what is the approximate cost of Da-Lite (or similar high quality) normal matte white 1.0 gain manual pull down 120 inch screen?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back