Polk Audio LSi9 speakers

keith_correa

I've been hearing things about these speakers and they are all good. Anyone have any experience with these? Impressions would be appreciated.

You heard correctly. If I were looking at musical speakers from Polk the Lsi series would be the only one I would look at seriously.

They are sexy to look at and perform with panache. Deep bass coming from Polk is not so surprising. But the purest notes in the high frequencies and mellifluous mid range surely is. And these speakers convey that adequately. In short a bookshelf which sounds like a much bigger speaker, yet being controlled and lithe in its music presentation.

Even though Cranky would be better qualified to weigh in on this, I guess it depends on which amplifier you would be talking about.

I have listened to a cute little Musical Fidelity amplifier spewing out 50 watts. It was a little demon belying its wattage. So, it is not always about the watts. Given the Polk Lsi's better than average sensitivity, I would think that a high quality integrated amp giving out 60 watts should comfortably be able to drive them.

Which amplifier would you be talking about? I am curious..

Even though Cranky would be better qualified to weigh in on this, I guess it depends on which amplifier you would be talking about.

I have listened to a cute little Musical Fidelity amplifier spewing out 50 watts. It was a little demon belying its wattage. So, it is not always about the watts. Given the Polk Lsi's better than average sensitivity, I would think that a high quality integrated amp giving out 60 watts should comfortably be able to drive them.

Which amplifier would you be talking about? I am curious..

I have a Bryston integrated B 60R

I asked this question after reading the review of these speakers which say they need more power...

SoundStage! Equipment Review - Polk Audio LSi9 Louspeakers (4/2002)

Mind you that they are rated at 4 ohms and could even dip to 2 ohms so a matching amplifier is a must to get the most out of these speakers.

I have a Bryston integrated B 60R

I asked this question after reading the review of these speakers which say they need more power...

SoundStage! Equipment Review - Polk Audio LSi9 Louspeakers (4/2002)

I dont have experience with that particular Bryston amp. But I would be reasonaby confident that an integrated amplifier of that quality should be able to drive these speakers well.

These are 4 ohm speakers with 88 db/w sensitivity. So, yes, you might want to have an audition before actually affirming anything.

Has anyone had first hand experience listening to Polk Audio LSi9. Would appreciate if you can describe the sound signature.

Thanks in anticipation.

Has anyone had first hand experience listening to Polk Audio LSi9. Would appreciate if you can describe the sound signature.

Thanks in anticipation.

It has a very powerful sound, takes lot of power before they can distort. Can fill up a big room quite easily. The highs are super silky and the bass is too good for its size, smooth and controlled. Sometimes the bass may overpower the mids- if you can control by proper placements, they are manageable. The mids are natural sounding though mildly thin. Overall very musical speaker. Its off axis performance is not so good and the sweet spot is quite close to the speakers. I have played movies on them and the gun shots were plain awesome.

It has a very powerful sound, takes lot of power before they can distort. Can fill up a big room quite easily. The highs are super silky and the bass is too good for its size, smooth and controlled. Sometimes the bass may overpower the mids- if you can control by proper placements, they are manageable. The mids are natural sounding though mildly thin. Overall very musical speaker. Its off axis performance is not so good and the sweet spot is quite close to the speakers. I have played movies on them and the gun shots were plain awesome.

Thanks Santy for the super quick response. What amp would you recommend? Would you call this speaker a neutral/ warm/ bright speaker? You mentioned that it has the ability to produce a large sound-stage, does the bass have good extension; does it go deep?

@helium
Yes. The bass goes deep- more than you can expect from bookshelves of its size. And yes, when I said powerful, I meant that it has a big soundstage. It is not bright at all- it never hurts even on extended listening. The female vocals are so enjoyable. Its fairly neutral but as I said the bass may intrude in the midrange.

Note that they are 4 ohm speakers. I do not find it taxing on the amp/ avr though. They used to get slightly warmer than they did with my 8ohm floorstanders I used that time, but just mild, nothing to worry about. But they definitely need a powerful amp to make them sing. Atleast 150W @ 4 ohm I would suggest.

If you are purchasing, I strongly recommend to audition them since everyone's perception varies.

Hi Santy,

Once again thanks for the guidance on my purchase. I was really looking for a speaker that gives be a room filling and foot tap experience. A rather underrated speaker, but are the best speakers I have heard in it's price class. I believe the ring-radiator tweeter is the back bone of the LSi9. You need a 100 watt amp, so I guess this will go.

--
helium= HTPC Asus Xonar ST + Sansui Au-317 + Luxman M-06a + Polk Audio LSi9 / Vintage B&W DM4

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back