Polk Audio speakers & Sub for HT setup - Need suggestions

sanloyn

Hi Friends,

I am new in this ocean of home theatre setup and have been reading a lot of threads to educate myself in choosing a HT setup for my living room.

Initially it all started with Boston Acoustic S 5.1 + Yamaha RX-V577 (as suggested by HT store Bangalore)
Later I realised from the threads that satellite speakers doesn't do the job for music, hence had to restart the research.

Yes, my usage will be 50% movies and 50% music and the idea is to use this set up for normal TV viewing also.

Now I have almost zeroed to Polk Speakers
TSX 220B as front speakers
TSX 150C for center
PSW 125 for Sub
Denon AVR-X520BT
The above has been suggested by ProFX (Pheonix Mall, Bangalore) I did auditioned the above setup and was ok, but not very impressed.

Further research into HiFiVision suggested that PSW subs doesnt have the punch, hence suggested for DSW series which is surely a great sub (gives deeper bass) compared to PSW.

Now to adjust my budget, I have been thinking the about the below
TSX 110B as front speakers
TSX 150C for center
DSW Pro 550 for Sub
Denon AVR-X510BT or Yamaha HTR 3067

I am crazy about bass, hence bit concerned about the Sub area.

I have been also looking at
TAGA HARMONY TSW-200 ACTIVE SUBWOOFER
Velodyne Impact 12
Wharfedale SW-150

ANy suggestions will surely help me move on and make a decision.

Hi Quixand,

I felt the music was not so detail and did not have a punchier bass.....when asked that he mentioned that the volume is almost at 50%. Movie playing was good, but not the music. May be I will have to audition more once with the same setup.

Hi Friends,

I am new in this ocean of home theatre setup and have been reading a lot of threads to educate myself in choosing a HT setup for my living room.

Initially it all started with Boston Acoustic S 5.1 + Yamaha RX-V577 (as suggested by HT store Bangalore)
Later I realised from the threads that satellite speakers doesn't do the job for music, hence had to restart the research.

Yes, my usage will be 50% movies and 50% music and the idea is to use this set up for normal TV viewing also.

TSX 150C for center
PSW 125 for Sub
Denon AVR-X520BT
The above has been suggested by ProFX (Pheonix Mall, Bangalore) I did auditioned the above setup and was ok, but not very impressed.

Further research into HiFiVision suggested that PSW subs doesnt have the punch, hence suggested for DSW series which is surely a great sub (gives deeper bass) compared to PSW.

TSX 150C for center
DSW Pro 550 for Sub

Velodyne Impact 12
Wharfedale SW-150

Hi, I have the TSX 220B, 110B, 250C and the DSW-660Wi. I Demoe'd it with a Yamaha AVR ( forget the Model)at PROFX Kochi. It was quite good and the 660 did give some thumping bass. I have not connected the system as my place is still undergoing interior works. But having a similar system of ONKYO/ JBL with me, my advise, if you have the budget, would be to look at a bigger muscle AVR probably the DENON X2100W or the X1100W. Because these speakers would need it if your room size is more than 2000 cu ft. to get a 80dB at 50% volume scale (including the S/W)

Hi Quixand,

I felt the music was not so detail and did not have a punchier bass.....when asked that he mentioned that the volume is almost at 50%. Movie playing was good, but not the music. May be I will have to audition more once with the same setup.

Yes. The reason why I ask is because you seem to have gone down from Yamaha RX-V577 to HTR 3067. I would suggest looking at higher series. If I had a chance I would get a more powerful amplifier in my setup for Bookshelves.

Also SW-150 Subwoofer I'd say has a sweet spot when volume knob is at 2 o'clock and twin RCA cables really help compared to a single cable. So if you are going to audition it then you can probably use this setting and set the crossover at 100 (on receiver) when auditioning. I'm listening to Hans Zimmer's Mombasa track off from Inception OST and the subwoofer works very nicely. Precise.

When I had auditioned Velodyne and SVS Subs were way ahead in movies. Wharfedale was probably the most musically inclined from the lot that I auditioned.

Polks are not known for music, however for Movies they were really good. For music as well people who like more bass in their music might like them but mostly Polks are not preferred as music.

I have TSi300 as fronts, TSX110B Rears,Center TSX150C and SUB DSW 550 and Denon X1000 AVR, and I am more than satisfied for movies, the sub really rocks. However I am just about satisfied with music. I have to equalize the music to throw some less bass and then I am able to enjoy the music as well. Whrafs 10.4 were much better suited to my music needs, however I was not impressed when movies were played on them......Since my main usage was 80% movies and 20% music I went for Polk. Late purchased Audio Engine A5+ Bookshelves for my bedroom and use them for Music. They are really really good for the price they are offered.

Friends, can you please advice between Denon AVR-X520BT / X510BT and Yamaha RX-V477. I do not have the budget to go for higher series of AVR.

Polks are not known for music, however for Movies they were really good. For music as well people who like more bass in their music might like them but mostly Polks are not preferred as music.

I would second that. Though my experience with Polk is rather old.
Do audition other speakers like Wharfedale, Q Acoustics, PSB and Dali Zensor.
What is your room size and total budget?
Do the setup in stages as many others have done.

While I am in the verge of setting up my HT. One of my friend has ordered subwoofer Thonet & Vander - SW10 1.0 - Deep Sound Wood Home Monitor Speakers going by the positive review and the price of 15.5K.
Now I am forced to do a reverse engineering ;)
Can anyone suggest if SW10 Sub go well with Denon AVR-X500 or Yamaha RX-V377 or V477. Please advice, if this is not going to suit, then I will hve to force my friend to cancel the order.

My take -
1. If you are going with Polks, go with 250c for center channel. HT is all about center channel and subwoofer
2. Polk subwoofers are not going to be great for music. The DSWs put out deep bass for movies but they aren't fast enough for music - i have auditioned most of their subs
3. Try and not skimp on the AVR. We all as beginners underestimate the importance of electronics and overestimate the importance of speakers. You need powerful amps to bring out the best of dynamic range from your movie tracks. Speakers sound very different when fed with proper power.
4. If you are serious about music, pay heed to the opinions here and try other speakers like Dali, Q-Acoustics etc. But then again, you'll need better amplification than the entry level AVRs you are considering. If you want to use a subwoofer for your music, then it better be a really good one - otherwise you'll hate it. Wharfedale Diamond SW-150 is rated high among budget subs. Even the SVS pb/sb 1000 is now available for 40k at htstore.

Thanks Sash for your inputs....Having clarified on the importance of having AVR with powerful amps.......what model of AVRs that I should be looking at in Yamaha and Denon. Please suggest.
For speakers, I have been looking at Q-Acoustics 2010 or 2010i speakers for fronts.

Hi Friends,

TSX 150C for center
PSW 125 for Sub
Denon AVR-X520BT

TSX 150C for center
DSW Pro 550 for Sub

Velodyne Impact 12
Wharfedale SW-150

Hi, I am into music and hence cannot comment on AVR's. You must audition the Polk Rti A7. I have them driven by a NAD 356 amp and have not yet felt the need for a sub / surround / center. If you can then check out Monitor Audio HT Package as well. If the AVR's you mentioned are in the 50k range then strongly suggest you take a look at NAD T 747 AVR as well. Another bang for buck subwoofer is the Dali E 12 F. Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks Sash for your inputs....Having clarified on the importance of having AVR with powerful amps.......what model of AVRs that I should be looking at in Yamaha and Denon. Please suggest.
For speakers, I have been looking at Q-Acoustics 2010 or 2010i speakers for fronts.
If you are decided on Denon then something like 2100 at least. You should also look at Pioneer LX series and also consider Onkyo. Onkyo has some sort of clearance sale running Onkyo India Do take a look.

HiFi experts, need your suggestion please

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AERO 5 CENTER SPEAKER (eBay sells this one for 12k) - are these good choice of speakers for Center Channel??
Wharfedale Diamond 220 or Polk Audio tsx 220b (BS for Fronts)???

I have decided on Yamaha RX-V477 AVR.

My preference is 50% movies and 50% music.

@sanloyn hii dude please post ur review of final purchase and experience.waiting

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

My setup is as below
Yamaha RX-V479 | Dali Zensor 3 | Dali Zensor Vokal | Velodyne Impact 12 | Surrounds DIY

Initially had Wharfs 220 bookshelves and 10cc center channel, later upgraded to Dalis.
Though my preference was 50/50% movies/music, I have now realized my preference in reality is 90% movies.
I am more than satisfied with this setup for movies, and happy enough for music, but could be better.
I must say the HT setup is right now become a part of my life, I atleast spend an hour or two every night without which my day doesn't end.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back