Polk Audio

prashant_dv

Hi,

How would you rate the Polk Audio MMC690 ( MOMO ) speakers for the car ?
The 6 x 9 " 3 way speakers have 300W RMS and 100W RMS continuos power handling capacity.

Also, which AMP would be better a 240W RMS JBL AMP or a 350W RMS SONY XPLOD ?

Awaiting advice & info..

Hi there,
I have no experience with polk Audio so cant comment on that.
But please stay away from Sony Xplod. Be it a head unit, speakers or amps
JBL is way better for amps and speakers then Sony Xplod

Hi Prashant
I have to add that I have read about people installing Polk audio component speakers in their cars. This information is from some other forum.
I think quality wise they are quiet good but not sure about the prices, If my guess is right they come in the hi-end car audio section
I was not totally sure about this information so did not post it earlier. Just check out the prices of different brands which are there in the market.
By the way you still have to buy a headunit or you already have one?

Well, I already have a Sony Xplod Headunit : CDX-GT410 installed in my car. They currently power my JBL GTO 937 6 x 9 speakers at the rear.

Okay...
If possible go for a 4 channel amp for future upgrades(if you are thinking of installing components in the front). You can bridge the 2 channels each and use it in 2 channel mode, so you use the full potential of your amp and speakers.

If you are not going to add front speakers, go for 2 channel amp which compliments your current JBL speakers perfectly. If you are not keen for heavy bass the 6X9 should produce enough bass if used with a properly matched amp.

thanks rikhav,

i will check out the options and let you know. mostly this weekend i should end up with something...
will keep what you have mentioned in mind b4 i buy..

and yes, the POLK audio is from the hi-end car audio section and i am looking forward to get my JBL's replaced with the POLK speakers since it will be a 1 level upgrade from my current setup...

will keep you posted..

Prashanth:

Take a look at Boston Acoustic speakers for car also. I have two reasons for saying this.

1. They have been around for a long time manufacturing speakers for cars.
1. I have them fitted in my car along with a JVC head unit. They seem to sound much better than the Blaupunkt speaker cum head unit I had in my previous car.

Cheers

Prashant also look at the famous JBL GTO 937 series, due to public demand they have relaunched the same, these speakers provide a bang for your buck, and will pair well with JBL amps

hi Dushie,

well, i currently do have the JBL GTO 937 speakers installed and I dont have any problem with the performance of it, but just that one of the speakers started to give me trouble.. something rattling continously inside the speakers.. moreover, i have been eyeing the POLK for some time... which is why i thought of this move...

i dont know any dealer names, nor am i able to find one after googling

I am sure you will be able find shops which sell POLK products. Ofcourse, many of them would be dealing in grey market products only

Just look around in shops who are famous for car audio installation. You will get some information from somewhere

i used sony xplod to my wife's palio, and they really were bad.

So I went for polk audio oval's for rear. They sound really better.

The problem is they can't tolerate more volume.

They jarr at high volume.

Trying to get rid of them to good old pioneer.

Which are still doing great job since 4 years in my car.

Not tried others :cool::cool::cool:

i used sony xplod to my wife's palio, and they really were bad.

So I went for polk audio oval's for rear. They sound really better.

The problem is they can't tolerate more volume.

They jarr at high volume.

Trying to get rid of them to good old pioneer.

Which are still doing great job since 4 years in my car.

Not tried others :cool::cool::cool:

IMO, there is no comparision between Sony Xplod range of car audio speakers and Polk audio car speakers
Sony is way too bad
Now about the problem you say you have with Polk audio speakers will be more to do with your headunit rather then the speakers
Are you using an amp or have connected the speakers directly to the head unit?
Head units produce max of 15-20 watts and generally perform very bad at high volumes. So i would suggest before changing your speakers check out what the problem exactly is and if you like to listen at quiet high volumes try to add a good 2 channel amp

Thank you rikhav,

In fact I took out my pioneer head from my car and put in this new.
(my wife is not a fan of music so much, the set up is for long travel of us)

That head is supposed to be a good one.

It was doing very well with my 4 way 450w pioneer speakers.

And since the guy didn't have same speakers I had to put this way.

I have not connected the amp.

I was only testing in high volume i listen in moderate vol.

I am thinking of amp and sub later.

Thank you rikhav,

In fact I took out my pioneer head from my car and put in this new.
(my wife is not a fan of music so much, the set up is for long travel of us)

That head is supposed to be a good one.

It was doing very well with my 4 way 450w pioneer speakers.

And since the guy didn't have same speakers I had to put this way.

I have not connected the amp.

I was only testing in high volume i listen in moderate vol.

I am thinking of amp and sub later.

Even at moderate volumes, the sound quality will be definately better if you connect an amp. But if you can live with the sound quality your head unit produces at moderate volumes then no point spending
By the way what head unit are you using?
I feel there is a lot of tweaking needed in head units to get the right sound which you like with 100 features affecting the sound output.
Alpine, as far as i know have basic functions so not much of a headache but sound quality wise they are way too good. But prices are also quiet more then Pioneer head units

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back