Poll : Spot "96 KHz / 24 bit" from these waveforms

Spot "96 KHz / 24 bit" Audio from these waveforms

• Total voters
Isn't this amplitude-time graph? One needs a graph like below (from Hifi News & Record Review magazine) to judge.

hiresfreq.jpg

Last edited:
Is it technically possible to spot that from the waveforms as the scale is different for each..are they are different volu

Isn't this amplitude-time graph? One needs a graph like below (from Hifi News & Record Review magazine) to judge.

View attachment 52093
Same track imported in audacity, one with a 96KHz/24 bit version and another with 44.1/16 bit.

You can guess - but technically, you can't spot the sampling rate with amplitude graph.

Its is like guessing the resolution from histogram of an image.

So, I just wanted to hear the difference between CD quality (44.1 KHz / 16 bit) Vs Hi-Resolution (96 KHz / 24 bit). Lately, I have converted by CDs to FLAC files and transported them to a fast SD card on my phone. I am able to stream them via HEOS to my Denon-4500H. Though I have Marantz CD-6500 and PM-6500 (amp). I could not stream it to them as they are not network enabled.
I was using denon only for surround (movies and concerts). The stereo results were very good. Then I thought about Hi-Res streaming,..but I had no samples to try...So purchased "Thriller" from HD Tracks..as my journey regarding this album started from (circa. 1988) cassette to cassette recording (use to be poorest)...then pirated cassettes..then bit better ones (labels like Billboard..if some one can recall)...then several Original cassettes on CBS / Epic records..then CD...then Special addition re-masters...then original 1982 press CD....now what remained was Hi-res.
This snippet is of the song "The lady in my life" from 1982 original CD pressing and the other one is Hi-Res. (from HD Tracks).

So purchased "Thriller" from HD Tracks..as my journey regarding this album started from (circa. 1988) cassette to cassette recording (use to be poorest)...then pirated cassettes..then bit better ones (labels like Billboard..if some one can recall)...then several Original cassettes on CBS / Epic records..then CD...then Special addition re-masters...then original 1982 press CD....now what remained was Hi-res.
This snippet is of the song "The lady in my life" from 1982 original CD pressing and the other one is Hi-Res. (from HD Tracks).
Interesting experiment. I remember a controversy years back where HDTracks high res was supposedly just upsampled instead of high res.

To me the second one looks like a post loudness wars version of the first one. Likely that its the HDTracks 24/96 version as the 1982 CD predates the loudness wars. This is just a guess though so I would be curious to see the actual answers

Interesting experiment. I remember a controversy years back where HDTracks high res was supposedly just upsampled instead of high res.

To me the second one looks like a post loudness wars version of the first one. Likely that its the HDTracks 24/96 version as the 1982 CD predates the loudness wars. This is just a guess though so I would be curious to see the actual answers
Yes..that's correct, the first one is 1982 CD FLAC, the second one is 96/24. I'll hold on to my observations till I compare all 9 songs.
But I was surprised to notice loudness in the latter by approx. 5 Db.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back