AMD Phenom 925 Quad Core
MOBO - Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB 3
GPU - ATI Radeon 4290 1GB onboard, HDMI 1080p
RAM - 4GB
LG WH10LS30 Blu-Ray Rewriter
Samsung DVD Writer
Panasonic 42" Plasma C10D connected by HDMI
Truewave 5.1

I can play all HD quality mp4, mkv, etc video files without any issues. I can play BDs on the LG BD writer flawlessly and in superb 1080p quality.

But when I try to play any original DVD in my LG drive, the picture quality is not that good. Rather its bad! Sound quality is no issue. I tried PowerDVD 10, ArcSoft TT, KM PLayer, MediaPortal, MPC HC, VLC....same result.

Pls guide me for achieving the descent quality for watching my huge DVD collection on my HTPC. The DVD PQ is superb when I am playing it on my standalone Philips DVD HDMI player which does the upscaling automatically.

Thanks in advance.
Jitendra

Have you tried DVDs through your additional Samsung DVD writer? Do you see any difference? May be the output is set to 1080P only where as the DVDs are 480p max. Not sure about how good the upscaling is done?

How much you paid for LG WH10LS30?

Last edited:
Have you tried DVDs through your additional Samsung DVD writer? Do you see any difference? May be the output is set to 1080P only where as the DVDs are 480p max. Not sure about how good the upscaling is done?

How much you paid for LG WH10LS30?

Picture quality is same. Output is set to 1080p that is why BD playback is flawless. Upscaling from PC to TV is my concern, i guess....

LG WH10LS30 - I paid Rs. 4800/- i.e. 99$ since my friend's father bought it from US, bought on deals2buy.com with local free shipping there.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Did you use Hardware acc in powerDVD with ATI drivers?
Secondly copy files on HDD from pendrive for better read speed.

Hey guys...Thanks for your help.

Finally I am now getting a very good picture quality with my LG Blu-Ray drive on my 42" screen connected with HDMI cable.

I have changed the input resolution of PC to plasma from 1280x720p to 1920x1080p and using PowerDVD 10's True Theatre options which automatically upscales the DVD picture to 1080p.

Although, its done, your valuable suggestions are always welcome to enhance the quality.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back