Portable AMP & DAC?

Musical Assassin

I'm confused between getting a separate Portable AMP DAC which is like in the category of Shanling UA2 FIIO KA3 and I'll get some IEMs with that. Whole setup budget is around 10K.
But i have zero to no experience with audiophile quality music and i was thinking that i can also upgrade to a new mobile with a 3.5mm jack from my one plus 7 to some poco or realme device. ( if quality doesn't change with the separate amp dac setup).
Thanks and also do recommend IEMS under 4K.
By heart I'm interested in going with amp dac route. Mainly I'll be listening to music in Gym and while walking in the park. around 3 hours of music daily.

I'm confused between getting a separate Portable AMP DAC which is like in the category of Shanling UA2 FIIO KA3 and I'll get some IEMs with that. Whole setup budget is around 10K.
But i have zero to no experience with audiophile quality music and i was thinking that i can also upgrade to a new mobile with a 3.5mm jack from my one plus 7 to some poco or realme device. ( if quality doesn't change with the separate amp dac setup).
Thanks and also do recommend IEMS under 4K.
By heart I'm interested in going with amp dac route. Mainly I'll be listening to music in Gym and while walking in the park. around 3 hours of music daily.
Bump.
Do you guy's think that it's worth investing in DAC & amp!

if you are going to settle for 4k iem, then a sub 1k well reviewed dongle should do. Most iems in that range are efficient. Just make sure to check the iem rating before purchase. Apple dacs are well reviewed, but are with low vrms.

Everyone's preferences are different. It is better to specify your preferences for iem suggestions.
In case you haven't found your preference, you can get sub 2k iems. You can start at that range and upgrade at a later date.

edit: this has 1 vrms. Should be fine with most entry level iems.

Last edited:
if you are going to settle for 4k iem, then a sub 1k well reviewed dongle should do. Most iems in that range are efficient. Just make sure to check the iem rating before purchase. Apple dacs are well reviewed, but are with low vrms.

Everyone's preferences are different. It is better to specify your preferences for iem suggestions.
In case you haven't found your preference, you can get sub 2k iems. You can start at that range and upgrade at a later date.

edit: this has 1 vrms. Should be fine with most entry level iems.
I'm thinking to purchase this DAC and for IEM preference I'll like to have one which have Deep base and high treble basically a punchy unit. For a power pack gym session.

While we can suggest you options, just a thought as it's going to be used during fitness. A sports variant BT or TWS will be more suitable. As while working out u won't be paying much attention anyway.

DAC+Amp set up is more for the stationary set up. Just a thought.

If u want you could consider Fiio A1 for any IEM as it will be light to carry and good enough power for IEM in that range. (Sub 2K)

Should you go higher with amp, there is also a fiio BTR 2,3 & 5 version but ur IEM/HPs will be connected to the BTR device directly via USB/aux while ur phone in pocket or nearby table. Will get in the way prolly.

E10K & K3 will be desktop set up to sit & listen.

My advice, go for Sennheiser TWS M3 on EMI etc. So might wanna wait if u can for a little price slash. It's good quality & practical IMO

I agree with the suggestion from headcase. If the usage primarily is for Gym and walks, think of going for BT earpiece. I use Jabra 65t for this purpose and has quite good sound quality. Now, 65t is replaced with Jabra 75t for about 10k. Dangling wire from phone to DAC and from DAC to earpiece is a nightmare in Gym.

If u still want the oomph factor...Fiio A1 will be best with any IEMs. Some of the KZ pro higher end KZ IEMs don't even need amp as they can easily be driven via a phone 16 ohms and triple drivers.

IMO u will be happy with a TWS option as they hv improved a lot now atleast for the purpose.

I am using Jabra 75t & Sennheiser TWS M2 and can tell that they're both good. Latter obviously gives more clarity, separation & quality. But both options are vgood. Can also consider Master & Dynamics MW07 Go and Technics EZ60/70. Sony XM3 (bulky but cheaper option). Don't buy XM4 ... in that price rather get senn tws M3.

for gym workouts and walking, you really don't need a hifi setup. you need to be critically listening with 100% attention to the music, which you will not be able to do in this situation. I would suggest a more low tech approach - get the sony MDR XB55AP. that should be enough by itself. It's decently sensitive and kicks out plenty of bass. If need be, get a dongle.

If battery life is not a big deal, check out the soundblaster play 4 - you can tweak the sound and get monster bass :D

In your budget, look for KZ10 Pro or Final E3000 for IEM. If you can increase your budget than iBasso IT00, Moondrop Aria are also good. For Dongle DAC Tempotac SOnata HD Pro & Sonata MHD, iBasso DC005, Shanling UA2, FIIO BTR3 and DDHiFi TC25/35 are good bets.

You may want to look at Pre-loved option too.

Try out the Audioquest Dragonfly, the Black is the cheapest, it might fit in your budget. Small, light and great sound. Super easy to upgrade too, sell and buy the Red or Cobalt

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back