Position for OB speakers

Subbu68

I am toying with a OB using Ahuja 12FRX.

Presently on a carboard (2 pieces of 3 layer cartons stuck with Fevicol), 900mm H, 900mm W but folded into two wings at 250mm from both ends. Speaker center at about 700mm from floor. My KEF sub takes care of sub 100Hz.

About 3m apart, and roughly 3.5m from listening position. They are about 800mm from the wall behind them. No nearby side walls. My Klipsch Heresys on their stools partly block the rear wall of both L & R (no other place to move them) towards their outer side. The most likely position considering the limitations of the apartment. It's a living cum dining room 10m x 4.5m.

Everything seems coming alive. I am trying various toe-in positions and the center sweet spot is fine. Whatever I try, the sweet spot is not wide that I have to sit tight in the middle of the sofa.

My test songs are some carnatic classical live recordings - singer, violin, mrudangam and may be ghatam. In most tracks I can locate the individuals clearly. Or an announcement of a live programme who seems dead center. Also a piece from Bollywood - Humko Maloom Hai (sonu nigam) wherein there is an opening by Salman Khan. Lionel Richie's Dancing on the Ceiling, he comes from the right and moves to the extreme left.

• Should the speakers be further apart? (would have to convince wife to rearrange the living room)
  • Should there be any toe-in at all for OBs?

I am toying with a OB using Ahuja 12FRX.

Presently on a carboard (2 pieces of 3 layer cartons stuck with Fevicol), 900mm H, 900mm W but folded into two wings at 250mm from both ends. Speaker center at about 700mm from floor. My KEF sub takes care of sub 100Hz.

About 3m apart, and roughly 3.5m from listening position. They are about 800mm from the wall behind them. No nearby side walls. My Klipsch Heresys on their stools partly block the rear wall of both L & R (no other place to move them) towards their outer side. The most likely position considering the limitations of the apartment. It's a living cum dining room 10m x 4.5m.

Everything seems coming alive. I am trying various toe-in positions and the center sweet spot is fine. Whatever I try, the sweet spot is not wide that I have to sit tight in the middle of the sofa.

My test songs are some carnatic classical live recordings - singer, violin, mrudangam and may be ghatam. In most tracks I can locate the individuals clearly. Or an announcement of a live programme who seems dead center. Also a piece from Bollywood - Humko Maloom Hai (sonu nigam) wherein there is an opening by Salman Khan. Lionel Richie's Dancing on the Ceiling, he comes from the right and moves to the extreme left.

• Should the speakers be further apart? (would have to convince wife to rearrange the living room)
  • Should there be any toe-in at all for OBs?
Lionel Richie's dancing on the ceiling - wow, for the next few days my ears will resonate this tune!

I read somewhere that if you find a sweet spot, try sitting a feet to its left, a feet to its right and listen to classic stereo music and if there is no single doppler shift, that's a fine arrangement.

Lionel Richie's dancing on the ceiling - wow, for the next few days my ears will resonate this tune!

I read somewhere that if you find a sweet spot, try sitting a feet to its left, a feet to its right and listen to classic stereo music and if there is no single doppler shift, that's a fine arrangement.
Don't have many Western albums with me. Lionel Richie is always entertaining.

The soundstage became big with the OB and like the Klipsch but sweetspot is still the same - just me at the center of the sofa. Maybe the whizzer cones are like the horns in Klipsch - beaming.

As far as I know, that Ahuja has pretty narrow directivity. I don’t think it is easy to get a wide sweetspot with this driver.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back