Possible to build a proper hifi setup on a budget of 40k?

samgurung

Hi All

Is it possible to build a decent hifi setup on a budget of 40k? Already own the edifier
R 1700. Will i get a good upgrade from the edifiers at around 40k?

Really constrained budget for a better system for a small room (8ftx8ft). Want to have the ability to add a sub down the line.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi All

Is it possible to build a decent hifi setup on a budget of 40k? Already own the edifier

Really constrained budget for a better system for a small room (8ftx8ft). Want to have the ability to add a sub down the line.

Thanks!
Go with Htib. Like Yamaha 3072 or 1840

Or check perused avr and speakers and later add sub.

Hi All

Thanks!
The most convenient and cost effective option would be to buy a pair of 6.5 inch powered speakers. You can add a powered sub later to these.

I am personally using the same config, although my speakers are 5.25 inchers(but I have a 10 inch sub).

Since your budget is slightly limited, get 2 of these and buy a DAC along with it and you will be set. they sound great and fill a small room really well.

Mackie MR 624 : https://www.amazon.in/Mackie-MR624-Active-Channel-Monitor/dp/B073WMVJBR

These monitors handily beat the JBL LSR 305 when it comes to vocal rendition and low end punch, JBL has a slight lead in the treble department but at the expense of sounding hollow(relative to Mackie, on its own merits the JBLs are one of the best sounding powered monitors out there).

Remember, you have to buy 2 of these, so the total expenditure would be 34k, Leaving you enough to buy a good DAC.

For the DAC part I would highly recommend this -
Soncoz LA-QXD1 : https://www.amazon.in/SONCOZ-QXD1-Digital-Converters-Balanced/dp/B089KKKVM3/

This is an ESS SABRE chip based DAC, one of the best implementations i have seen yet, and comes with balanced outputs which you can use to connect the speakers to.

This combo cannot be beaten around the 50k mark. Yes its a tad over your budget but the DAC recommended here would pay for itself owing to its superior sound output, highly recommend you not to skimp on the DAC, which is often overlooked by folks, for a speaker to really come to life, you need an equally good source and DAC. Lemme know if you have any questions.

The most convenient and cost effective option would be to buy a pair of 6.5 inch powered speakers. You can add a powered sub later to these.

I am personally using the same config, although my speakers are 5.25 inchers(but I have a 10 inch sub).

Since your budget is slightly limited, get 2 of these and buy a DAC along with it and you will be set. they sound great and fill a small room really well.

Mackie MR 624 : https://www.amazon.in/Mackie-MR624-Active-Channel-Monitor/dp/B073WMVJBR

These monitors handily beat the JBL LSR 305 when it comes to vocal rendition and low end punch, JBL has a slight lead in the treble department but at the expense of sounding hollow(relative to Mackie, on its own merits the JBLs are one of the best sounding powered monitors out there).

Remember, you have to buy 2 of these, so the total expenditure would be 34k, Leaving you enough to buy a good DAC.

For the DAC part I would highly recommend this -
Soncoz LA-QXD1 : https://www.amazon.in/SONCOZ-QXD1-Digital-Converters-Balanced/dp/B089KKKVM3/

This is an ESS SABRE chip based DAC, one of the best implementations i have seen yet, and comes with balanced outputs which you can use to connect the speakers to.

This combo cannot be beaten around the 50k mark. Yes its a tad over your budget but the DAC recommended here would pay for itself owing to its superior sound output, highly recommend you not to skimp on the DAC, which is often overlooked by folks, for a speaker to really come to life, you need an equally good source and DAC. Lemme know if you have any questions.
Great advice.. Thanks!

However I found this deal..

https://avshack.in/products/yamaha-...9198&adgroupid=103251191170&device=m&keyword=

I think this is a pretty good bargain

Hi All

Thanks!
Should be possible. For example, Mission LX-2 MKII costs Rs. 22,900/- and are very well rated. Decent class D amps should be available for the remaining of the budget. I remember my Topping TP60 to be a pretty decent amp for the price. I used it with my Quad 12L2's for quite a long time and was pretty happy with the sound. In the future, you could get a sub in the future with line level connections.

Edit: The above link you posted should be perfect for your requirement.

Hi All

Thanks!
My suggestion will be..
Mission LX2 speaker + Norge 1000/ 2060 amp + Allo Boss 2 DAC/streamer should be around (17+14+11) 43K.
Here the advantage is that in future you have the flexibility to upgrade to better speakers without changing the amp and DAC. The amp and DAC are excellent for these price.
Also you can consider pioneer bs22 speaker if you can find one.

Hi,
If you are not averse to buying used equipment you can definitely put together a very good system for this budget.
Good quality two way bookshelf speakers (85-90db; 8ohms ideally) for 20-25k and a stereo amp (@40-50 WPC, class AB) for 15-20k would be definitely possible if you search a bit.
Well maintained equipment less than 10 years old would be best.
Keep an eye out in the classifieds section here and on OLX (usual sensible precautions of course)

I think this is a pretty good bargain
When you spend any amount of money, always think about how long you want that system to stay with you.
Don't make budget the focus, cause thats just going to bring you back to this forum in a couple of years asking whats the next system to buy. These are depreciating assets and are worth only 50% of their retail cost the moment you walk out of that Showroom floor. Thats the sad truth about most Hi Fi.

Spend a little more and get a nicer system. Don't be in a hurry to buy just because you found something thats closer to your budget.

I'd get that same Integrated Yamaha paired with the Elac Debu B5.2's instead of the Missions. Do note there isn't a sub out so thats out of the question when you do want to add a sub, unless you want to go with a sub that does Hi Levels inputs.

To end, whatever system you narrow down on, spend some time listening to it before you put your money. Its easy to get impressed or be wowed in the moment. A little time will allow you to soak in the sound so you get a better idea if its the kinda of sound you are after.

I agree with @sandeepmohan that you shouldn't just go out and buy the first thing you find which suits your budget. While the Yamaha + Mission set looks pretty good, there are a couple of pitfalls. For instance, the receiver doesn't have any digital inputs. So if you want to connect a source which only provides digital output (optical/HDMI), then you'll still need to get a DAC. Now it's entirely possible that this is not a worry for you given your source, but you should be aware of this. Then there's the pricing. Mission LX2 is available on Hifimart for 17k as of now. Which means you're paying Rs. 23k for the amp, which seems a bit on the higher side given the listings on other websites. However, it's out of stock everywhere, which limits your ability to purchase this combo for a lower price. You should check locally and see if you can find it at a lower price. And finally, as pointed above, there's no sub-out, if you want to add that later.

However, I disagree that you should spend more. For some people budget might be a hard limit. It's not possible for everyone to stretch their budget and the person might have planned for a quite a while before deciding to spend a certain amount. The original post specifically mentions that the OP is constrained for budget. So I am of the opinion that FMs should advice on the best possible system within the budget.

However, I also agree that OP should spend some time listening to what they are going to buy. Even if you can't find the AMP and speaker combo with a single dealer, you can listen to the speakers connected to a different AMP and compare them. For instance, you can compare the Mission LX2 to Taga Harmony Azure B-40, Fyne Audio F300, and Dali Spektor 1. However, given your location, I'm not sure if demo will be available nearby.

You can look at classified listings here. I found a couple of stereo amps in there for around 8k. You can check with them if it would suite your usecase. If it does, then it will allow you to invest a lot more in speakers.

The OP is based in Shillong. I don’t think there are any dealers or places to audition these brands there or even in Guwahati (3 hours away). @samgurung if you are travelling to Kolkata or Delhi etc you could plan on auditioning …?

This is a very good package, great speakers and a good Amp.
I have heard LX2s they sound beautiful, you will love them my neighbour owns them. One of my friend is picking them up to be paired with a Marantz pm5005.
Try to bargain with them.

If possible, try to get a speaker and amp combo separately, you can also get a used amp for 10-15k. But do get new speakers.

The above combo which my friend will have of Marantz 5005 and LX2 can work for u too, check with dealers how much they are offering.
Marantz was available for 20-22k sometime back, and like others said 17k for LX2 you will be close to your budget.

Last edited:
technoguru.in based in Guwahati has been mentioned few times in the past.
There would be more outlets in the area.

My advice to folks on any budget whatsoever is to try out stuff beyond the budget and see what's there and would they like to wait and get something better or up the budget (beg, borrow, steal ;)) .
I also advice to look for used gear. You will get better stuff for the same money.
Though, you need to be careful with that. Of course, most sales here are absolutely genuine. I have bought lots of used gear on HFV.

Hi All

Thanks!
If you are okay with pre-loved setup, you may get in touch with @HiFiAudioFan , He had some good stuff available.

However, I disagree that you should spend more. For some people budget might be a hard limit.
I'll take your side here, as I have been in the same situation.
As someone who started off with a Rs. 7000 used Technics system (not the collector stuff), I have heard what this system is capable off versus one that I currently use, which is >30x the cost of that Technics. Did I have 30x the money to pay for that new system? Absolutely Not. I paid it off slowly. I was fortunate to have a audio dealer who allowed me to pay it bit by bit, without interest.

The difference is, I could not listen to that Technics system very long and had to switch it off. This ended up being a pattern.
I got exposed to better sounding systems from friends and family and realized what I was missing.
The system I currently have is so good (5+ year old now) that I don't see myself needing an upgrade, ever.

With regard to the FM selection of components, I never said it was bad. There are so many options that one must not get stuck on a budget. When you hear something so good and you are pleased, the budget aspect of it goes out of the window. Yeah, you got to draw the line somewhere. I am not implying the FM spend 10x the budget. That will be outrageous. Pick a stereo or a set of components that will keep you happy for sometime. You don't want to buy something for the short term only to get tired of the sound.

Ab example:
Here is a very good bookshelf speaker pair (8x8’ room) to start building your system with:
Thread 'Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 Speakers (Pair)' (it’s in the classifieds section, from a well known FM)
Knowing the specifications of these speakers you can then start looking for an Amp that is most likely to match well with these speakers.
The challenge is to find someone to pick it up in Bangalore and courier it to you.

Thanks for the great inputs guys. Will definitely keep them in mind. I am very inclined towards the yamaha and mission setup. My room is small.. About 8x8 and I think at 40k this soup would work well

@samgurung, a fellow FM pointed out to me something I had missed: your signature indicates you already have a good set up with the following:
Marantz NR1509 | Crown XLS 2002 | Elac Debut b6.2 | Elac Debut 2.0 OW4.2 | Soundfoundations Speaker Stands | Mi Box 4K | Dual Yamaha SW300 | Sony PS4 | Amazon Echo 2nd Gen.
My bad suggesting Elac BS when you already have the same.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back