Power Amplifier for a Denon-Klipsch set up...

Thx. Thats the thing. Every set up I listen to has something unique. Conversely, my friends find my set up quite good in some aspects.
Try adding a very good power amplifier. It will make a world of difference in your current set up. For heating issue you can add ac infinity aircom avr cooler. If possible expect your set up to a 5.2.4. This is well doable with a 3L budget and will surely improve the sound stage

Try adding a very good power amplifier. It will make a world of difference in your current set up. For heating issue you can add ac infinity aircom avr cooler. If possible expect your set up to a 5.2.4. This is well doable with a 3L budget and will surely improve the sound stage
Thx. Really appreciate all the advice!

Recently one of the FM has listed his adcom 2 channels power amplifier for sale in classified section with reasonable amount. Instead of spending 300K , initially you may experiment with this PA and if substantial amount of improvement is notice then you can go for new PA from current reputed brands. Later on you can use this PA to power 10 & 11 channels as Denon AVR x4400h have pre out for that.

As f

as for speakers, I am super happy with the Klipsch RP280F. You really can’t go much bigger or better than that in Mumbai homes :)
Since you are from Mumbai, you can pulz poweramps. I saw even a seven channel Poweramp when I visited pulz last time.
IMG-20190916-WA0001.jpg

All, I am new to this game. So be gentle. I have a Denon X4400H, driving a 5.2.2 set up. Klipsch RP280F, RP450C, RP250S, HK overheads, 115SW and HK 12”SW. The room size is not very big. I have been happy for 3 years. Now, I have the itch to push up the music quality (video is awesome). Which amp would be best for this? Read a lot of forums—pretty confused. I am in India, but have access to pretty much any brand... I must mention; the AVR gets really HOT

How about this setup to start with.

How about this setup to start with.

It's a good model but is purely 110V and would require a step-down transformer. It's advisable to have something that runs directly in Indian power conditions say 220V. Nothing harm in using imported once but nice to avoid.

Last edited:
Thank you! I don’t have a particular limit set to the budget but would like to keep it under INR 300,000.

For 3L, you can power all your channels.

As you want to primarily drive LCR, you could consider a 5 channel power amplifier that has bridgeable support so that you could club two channels and get additional power for your Klipsch front stage.

There are primary things that you should consider while choosing the power amplifier. They are,
  • RMS watts per channel (Higher the better)
  • Transformer design (condenser / toroidal). This would be class A, B, AB, D, etc.,
  • Damping factor (Higher the better say 200 and above)
  • Filter capacitance (Higher the better)
These combinations make a lot of difference in the overall sound quality. The better the value, the better the dynamics.

There is a difference in the sound quality and dynamics; also from my personal experience, the power amplifier offloads the AVR amp section (to whichever channel is given in pre-out) due to which there is a considerable amount of heat reduction in the AVR. It won't run hotter but it will run warm.

Any power amplifier would run warn or hot which you can control it by placing a laptop cooler on top. It will run the power amplifiers cool (not even warm).

Please do some research and understand the aforementioned points and choose a power amplifier wisely!

Last edited:
Yesterday I have auditioned Emotiva A-300 with Monitor Audio Bronze 5 at AV shop in Mumbai. I am also in the process of getting five channels power amplifier for my Marantz AV receiver. In past, I had auditioned MA Bronze 5 twice with Pioneer VSX 9xx and Denon AVR x2200. Both the time I I noticed the sound signature of MA Bronze was lean with anemic low end even thought it has great HF details and cleariety with strong center image and always feels that it greatly need sub woofer support for low end reinforcement. But now with Emotiva A-300 , there is great improvement in sound signature with enough low end extension . High frequencies details and vocals become more bold with string instruments sounds with great details. More noticables was male vocals with little added base.
I have requested for Emotiva A-500 but the price difference is huge ( about 10k in MRP) compare to price offered by HT Store, Banglore. Banglore FM , please help me in this regards by confirming the price of A-500 in HT Store .

Yesterday I have auditioned Emotiva A-300 with Monitor Audio Bronze 5 at AV shop in Mumbai. I am also in the process of getting five channels power amplifier for my Marantz AV receiver. In past, I had auditioned MA Bronze 5 twice with Pioneer VSX 9xx and Denon AVR x2200. Both the time I I noticed the sound signature of MA Bronze was lean with anemic low end even thought it has great HF details and cleariety with strong center image and always feels that it greatly need sub woofer support for low end reinforcement. But now with Emotiva A-300 , there is great improvement in sound signature with enough low end extension . High frequencies details and vocals become more bold with string instruments sounds with great details. More noticables was male vocals with little added base.
I have requested for Emotiva A-500 but the price difference is huge ( about 10k in MRP) compare to price offered by HT Store, Banglore. Banglore FM , please help me in this regards by confirming the price of A-500 in HT Store .

You are getting the difference because A300 is 150W RMS 2 ch driven. If you go for A500, it is 80W for 5 channels which will slightly above what your AVR would output. I am sure you may not be very much impressed with A500 since you have already heard A300.

Try to see if you could get a much more powerful amplifier that will feed ample power to the speakers. It's not about the loudness rather the dynamics that would open up your speakers with wide spectrum of frequencies to output.

Please don't stick with Emotiva which is currently available in the market. There are tons of brands available which you can choose from (ATI, ARCAM, JBL, ADCOM, Sherbourn, ROTEL, Lexicon, B&K Components, Parasound, KRELL, etc.,).

If you have any contact in overseas, see if you could consider a PA which has support for voltage range between 110V - 240V (Pure 110V with a stepdown transformer is cumbersome with respect to ease of use).

Emotiva A-500 is 110w/channel for 2 channels and 80w/channel for 5 channels , where as A-300 is 150w/ channel for 2 channels. My main motive is very good stereo set with HT. I am also confused how A-500 will sound compare to A-300 which I have audition. May be I will not get audition of A-500 as dealer said both sound same and he can order the one only after booking. I am selecting A-500 considering future use of A-500 as pure 5 channel PA once I upgraded to 5.2.4 HT set. I have a budget of 50k only and looking only options within 50k. Recently one of the FM added Sonodyne PA to his Denon 3300h and happy with the performance. I have not yet finalize the deal also looking for something like stereo amplifier with HT bypass mode with 100w/channel from Total, Arcem etc

Emotiva A-500 is 110w/channel for 2 channels and 80w/channel for 5 channels , where as A-300 is 150w/ channel for 2 channels. My main motive is very good stereo set with HT. I am also confused how A-500 will sound compare to A-300 which I have audition. May be I will not get audition of A-500 as dealer said both sound same and he can order the one only after booking. I am selecting A-500 considering future use of A-500 as pure 5 channel PA once I upgraded to 5.2.4 HT set. I have a budget of 50k only and looking only options within 50k. Recently one of the FM added Sonodyne PA to his Denon 3300h and happy with the performance. I have not yet finalize the deal also looking for something like stereo amplifier with HT bypass mode with 100w/channel from Total, Arcem etc
Wat quote u got for A-500?

As you want to primarily drive LCR, you could consider a 5 channel power amplifier that has bridgeable support so that you could club two channels and get additional power for your Klipsch front stage.

There are primary things that you should consider while choosing the power amplifier. They are,
  • Transformer design (condenser / toroidal). This would be class A, B, AB, D, etc.,
These combinations make a lot of difference in the overall sound quality. The better the value, the better the dynamics.

There is a difference in the sound quality and dynamics; also from my personal experience, the power amplifier offloads the AVR amp section (to whichever channel is given in pre-out) due to which there is a considerable amount of heat reduction in the AVR. It won't run hotter but it will run warm.

Any power amplifier would run warn or hot which you can control it by placing a laptop cooler on top. It will run the power amplifiers cool (not even warm).

Please do some research and understand the aforementioned points and choose a power amplifier wisely!
All, to close this out - I tried power amps (Parasound and anthem), and arrived at a conclusion that the Denon is actually giving me what I need! I ran the Audissey

Firstly, thank you! My experimentation with Parasound and Anthem revealed that the Denon is actually giving me what I need. I ran the Audyssey set up again and I am in a much happier place than where I started with. I also had to cheat the sound test a little by pumping up the weaker sub and all is well. Interestingly, the anthem, which is a significantly expensive amp, didn’t really produce that much upside in the quality of sound. Really appreciate all the advice. I got the AVR cooler, and that is actually darn effective! It is keeping the temperature below 32 degrees...

Recently, I was also in the search of Power amplifier for my Marantz NR1608. I have finalized Emotiva A-300/A-500 and auditioned A-300 in last month. Power amplifier certainly improve the sound quality to certain extend. Next I have used my old Denon AVR 2113 as power amplifier to Marantz NR1608 for front channels only . Have tested the Pre-Power in stereo mode and observed very good improvement in sound quality. Cleariety and details improved with finest micro details audioble . Low end become weighty with improved agility. Earlier I always blame the speakers ( BA A360 ) for lack of details and micro Dynamics in high frequencies . Now same speakers with Pre-Power mode give better results. Now I am also in the calculation that how much more improvement Emotiva A-300/500 will give me over Denon . Is it worth to spend 50k ........

Recently, I was also in the search of Power amplifier for my Marantz NR1608. I have finalized Emotiva A-300/A-500 and auditioned A-300 in last month. Power amplifier certainly improve the sound quality to certain extend. Next I have used my old Denon AVR 2113 as power amplifier to Marantz NR1608 for front channels only . Have tested the Pre-Power in stereo mode and observed very good improvement in sound quality. Cleariety and details improved with finest micro details audioble . Low end become weighty with improved agility. Earlier I always blame the speakers ( BA A360 ) for lack of details and micro Dynamics in high frequencies . Now same speakers with Pre-Power mode give better results. Now I am also in the calculation that how much more improvement Emotiva A-300/500 will give me over Denon . Is it worth to spend 50k ........
Most of the top PA are built like tanks and will easily function for 15 years. For a budget of 50k you can get an used PA that’s 3times better then the emotiva bass x series which are entry level PA’s. Check in OLX and you wil find a lot of used PA’s

Does 1608 have preout?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back