Power Cord Discussion

Ok, I do have the same distribution box from Murthy but I have kept it in India.
I used to use Vertex servo stabilizer with the distribution box. I will be ordering mostly Triode wire labs digital american.

Cables matter when you have the system to resolve the fine details. Don't bother with cheap AVR's and speakers. That would be a waste of money. I have Shunyata Research cables in my system from their entry level Venom Cable to their high end cables. The digital source is the most susceptible to noise. Use your best cable there. Also as previously said a lot depends on your local power company, Where you stay, whether there are large machinery causing fluctuations in power and of course the local wiring in your house. We all know copper is a better conductor than aluminium but has a tendency to oxidate. So it is an expensive process. to produce OFC copper which is used in expensive cables. Would you bother putting a skinny tire on a Lamborghini and limit its performance is the question you might want to think about. But for an Alto why not?

Friends Metallurgy is not that simple to understand. That is why cables making is an art and nobody does it better than Franck Tchand of Asi Liveline

Heliumflight, if you liked the Liveline cables, their resonators will blow you away :)

I would be grateful if someone can tell me what these resonators are is it just snake oil, someone experienced them?

The resonators are Franck Tchang design. Have used them in the past. His foray into audio started with resonators. He introduced his cables much later. Read more about it on his site

The resonators are Franck Tchang design. Have used them in the past. His foray into audio started with resonators. He introduced his cables much later. Read more about it on his site

Prem,

I was planning to get some acoustic panels and bass trap from GIK acoustics.
I do have a challenging living room. Do you think these resonators will work in my living room?

Thanks
Renjith

Hi Renjith

The Franck Tchang resonators can tame a bad room.

Whether to use traps or resonators for room treatment is like deciding whether to use allopathy or ayurveda to treat an ache. The advantages are no side effects. But just like in medicine in extreme cases, allopathy is the only option, similarly for a terribly bad room, traps is probably the only option.

My personal experience is most of the room problems can be sorted with very careful placement of speakers.

At this point I use no room treatment. And my room is far from ideal for acoustics.:) I have French windows behind my speakers. My right side opens up completely while left side sees a wall.

Last edited:
Hi Renjith

Whether to use traps or resonators for room treatment is like deciding whether to use allopathy or ayurveda to treat an ache. The advantages are no side effects. But just like in medicine in extreme cases, allopathy is the only option, similarly for a terribly bad room, traps is probably the only option.

My personal experience is most of the room problems can be sorted with very careful placement of speakers.

At this point I use no room treatment. And my room is far from ideal for acoustics.:) I have French windows behind my speakers. My right side opens up completely while left side sees a wall.
I am exactly in the same boat. Small room (10'x 15'), marble floor, wall on one side with wooden panelling, glass french doors on the other side, windows behind sitting area, large TV behind the speakers. I am using no room treatment. Just moving the speakers deep into the room, into a mid-field listening position, changed the whole listening experience.

Hi Renjith

This post should also come with a statutory warning that prem has a fantastic pair of ears and an inherent understanding of room acoustics and impact on tonality.
So trying this yourself is risky as i realised last year when i just fell down from one slippery hole to the other and ended up with a very different sound :eek:
Thankfully Prem had dropped in during a bangalore visit and did a complete reset. These days my best practice is to always keep a "reference" position and setup and always refer back to it..

I would be grateful if someone can tell me what these resonators are is it just snake oil, someone experienced them?
I had the privilege of meeting Franck Tchang at his home a couple of times. He has a fantastic setup and he actually demoed the sugar cubes and resonators to me.it was eyeopening and mind blowing. But placing it is like surgery as you need the keen ears and patience to set this up right

Hi Renjith

Hi Prem,

I like your analogy to allopathy or ayurveda.

Prem I have exact same situation like you but it is a living room and it opens to dining room on left and right side I have a side wall,behind
one speaker I have french window and wall behind other speaker.I am attaching floor plan and front view picture. I have almost finalized on getting monster bass trap and 244 acoustic panels from GIK.

Can you suggest some tips for speaker placement?

Thanks
Renjith

Attachments

• front_view.JPG
    front_view.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 39
  • room_speaker position.JPG
    room_speaker position.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 39
Hi Renjith, I have no idea how your room behaves as of now.

Are there any specific problems you are having as of now ?

Based on the pictures you have sent, I can suggest a few experiments.

Is it possible to pull the speakers by another 2-3 feet in front. Also what’s your distance of the left speaker from the side wall?

Whatever room treatment you do, you will still need to figure out how to manage reflections from the TV panel. That’s going to mess up with your imaging and solidity. Also the table/stand on which the TV is kept is huge. There is going to be a lot of reflection around the centre. That needs to be addressed.

To my eyes, the speakers look too far apart. You may want to get them closer and see how it sounds.

Last edited:
Hi Renjith, I have no idea how your room behaves as of now.

Are there any specific problems you are having as of now ?

Based on the pictures you have sent, I can suggest a few experiments.

Is it possible to pull the speakers by another 2-3 feet in front. Also what’s your distance of the left speaker from the side wall?

Whatever room treatment you do, you will still need to figure out how to manage reflections from the TV panel. That’s going to mess up with your imaging and solidity. Also the table/stand on which the TV is kept is huge. There is going to be a lot of reflection around the centre. That needs to be addressed.

To my eyes, the speakers look too far apart. You may want to get them closer and see how it sounds.

Hi Prem,

Thanks for your suggestioins. Speakers are around 8 feet apart and this I have done based on speaker manufacturer suggestions.
He was recommending 8 to 12 feet. But I can reduce and try it, no harm in experimenting.
I can also pull speaker forward. Are you recommending rule of third?
The only thing preventing me in doing it will create little bit inconvenience with the dining chair however I can try
moving it forward.

With side wall I guess it is 2.5 feet and front wall 2.8 feet. (I have kept unequal distance between side and front wall, need to double check exact values)

TV cabinet is big but it is open on sides, will try to cover TV with a blanket while using stereo.
Unfortunately I use same speaker for both stereo and HT.

Thanks
Renjith

If you have luxury of your own independent house or ground or even first floor dwelling, dig your own earth hole and run a copper strip right to your audio power supply. Will cost much less than $1000 and will be your vital upgrade.

At present I live in a rented apartment, if I move to a house I will try it for sure.
But will it improve an investment worth 1000$?

Thanks.

Hi Renjith, if rule of third is possible then definitely try it. Do try and get the speakers out though.

Hi Renjith, if rule of third is possible then definitely try it. Do try and get the speakers out though.

I can try few feets, 1/3rd length will be difficult due to other issues.
Thanks

Which ever gives you more pleasure, go for it!

I meant 1000$ worth improvement can be observed with a separate ground or earthing?

Thanks

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back