Power Cords - Source Components - Do they make a differance ??

This afternoon we did some lovely listening tests on 4 power cords @ a fellow audiophiles residence.
3 persons had come in.

Hello !

Spent an afternoon @ Amp Nuts place.

Heard a dCS Puccini CD Player - Thanks to Jay of Sound & Vision - Pune
along with a Meridian 808i.2 CD Player - Thanks to Faisal of Sound of Music
- New Delhi.

We also did some power cable 'exchanges'
Japanese Cables - ARN Systems - Bangalore - Mr. Sridhar / Mr. Siva - Bangalore - Coroson & SilenCable - Germany - Mr. Kraemar / Cardas - USA.

It was in interesting afte rnoon.

Mr. R**** [surealistic] - also a mumbai forum member - joined us.

The CD Player sounded 'better' played direct - cd to power amp - pre
by passed.

The dCS Player DSD - SACD very very well. Clear Winner.
:clapping:

In PCM - it was very close - difficult to call.
Really - too close - it was down to ones own preference.....

All CD Players were given Argento Interconnect & Silencable Power Cords.
This was for the CD Player.....

Later we turned to test the Cables...
Here we used - the dCS to begin & then moved on to Meridian.

There was an audible change in each power cord.

The Japanese Power Cord from Japan - ARN Systems was good.
Very nice. The image height surely 'improved'
The Cardas was nice but could not make it.
The Finolex power cord was a 'non starter'
Just could not stay with them....

There was a close call between the Silen & the Japanese Cable - Sridhar - the name please.. Air King something - It was a good product.
All Bangalore chapter fellows may want to give it a try....

R****[surelleastic] & I preferred the Silencable & Amp Nut - I am not so sure what was it that he liked [eventually]
He will do some 'serious' listening this evening...

This is just a mail to keep you guys in the loop.

Would like to thank all 3 dealers for the product 'loan'
It is very much appreciated by us....

Software used was caried -
Manger Test Disc
Amanda McBroom
Patricia Barber
Dead Man Walking
HD Tracks
Some Isreal music
etc. etc.

Hi

The Japanese cable was the Air Strike - Air dielectric cable. Its a new cable with no known pedigree (none that I know of at least).
Perhaps one of you can post a bit more detail on what the perceived difference was between these various cables...?

cheers
Sridhar

@ Shanti what was the rest of the set up?

Meridian 808i.2
dCS Puccini
Audio Research pre amp
GamuT D 200 Mono Amps
Revel Studio Speaker
Argento Interconnects
Transparent Audio Speaker Cables
Shunyata Hydra Power Filter

Power Cables, I have mentioned earlier...

:)

The 'home' player was Electrocompaniet ECM-1 up.
Was not in the 'equation' !!

Last edited:
In fact, I came across some recent postings like someone advising a simple experiment of simply changing one's computer power cord to a better one and listen to the audio (he claims you will notice the difference), another suggesting to walk around the house with a radio tuned between any two AM stations (with only static sound) and claiming that when you are close to equipment like fridge, TV, even your mains, etc, you will notice dramatic changes in the static which is an indication of the RF nonsense and noise such gadgets throw into the household wiring and can affect the audio components. Not only a mains conditioner, better quality cables and connectors also help to keep such things out of the audio circuits.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but wouldn't raw mains --> double-conversion online UPS --> all audio equipment provide perfectly clean, conditioned power? In this case, would premium cables make much difference?

I guess it would be expensive at high power requirements, but ignoring the cost aspect, would it be effective?

Technically it should but when I tried it, the sound became very "sterile and lifeless", totally losing the charm. My results were similar with many others who too have tried.

Now - what does that mean? Simple - it doesn't work!

Well put :lol: So here in the real world, we actually need hinky, slightly "unclean" power to add a little oomph. Much like human beings - real beauty requires some asymmetry... just not too much!

Well put :lol: So here in the real world, we actually need hinky, slightly "unclean" power to add a little oomph. Much like human beings - real beauty requires some asymmetry... just not too much!

i just think that those devices which regulate the power supplied (to audio equipment) act as bottlenecks and do not allow enough current (amps) to pass instantaneously when the power amp demands it - and sterilizes the music.

i just think that those devices which regulate the power supplied (to audio equipment) act as bottlenecks and do not allow enough current (amps) to pass instantaneously when the power amp demands it - and sterilizes the music.

I am not so sure if I agree;

I use a Pure Power 2000 & it is good.

Much much better than a UIT & Servo Stabilizer I used to use - many many moons back.
This [PP 2000] is a 'super insurance' for me.
My front end components are buffered from the power line 'fluctuations' !
So, the PP also buys be 'good sleep' !

Sir,
I have not used any of those, so I cannot comment on it.
However, what I use is :-

PurePower Home

I really think it is a good product & must be tried.
Demo should be possible - there is an India D & D for it & he may be carrying stock.

http://www.purepoweraps.com/pdf/2000 tech specs.pdf
This is the exact product that I have installed.

My power amps are off the wall socket.
The mono amps cannot be run on these, I would need 2 of them & the finances just do not permit that !!

Shanti, I've heard great things about PurePower products but believe they are sorta expensive - its a relative term ofcourse. But my only experience with power conditioning is a simple servo stabilizer and few power strips so far.

Shanti, I've heard great things about PurePower products but believe they are sorta expensive - its a relative term ofcourse. But my only experience with power conditioning is a simple servo stabilizer and few power strips so far.

Sir,

PP is a good product.

You can use the lower power one for the front end electronics - everything except the amps. Just a suggestion.

I have tried the APC & UIT & Servo Stabilizer etc.
All do not work.

Passive power strips are good. I like some of them. There is one I use from Acoustic Revive & I think it is good - worth a try.

I use the Xindak today. it is ok as a distributer and that it also isolates some of the outlets from each other. but that is all that it does .. but still very high VFM

the PP is IMHO extremely expensive and the distributor in india not very "price friendly" paying 1lakh for a 700W regenerator is unaffordable for me...i would rather upgrade to a "better" speaker. not the least VFM unless all other components are optimised

there is another very good option which is less than 30% of the cost of the PP and deliveres upto 80 % of the performance-ie the APC online double converting UPS (Same as PP) only difference that this make a lot of noise hence needs to be kept far away from the audio equiment

APC - Smart-UPS On-Line - Product Information

Arj
you can even get a UPS company to make this for you if one doesnt want to spend on an APC.

cheers

true..that is also an option. I guess with these options you get a product which would even have warranty support from india.

But i am still not very clear on something. Is it better to give Regenerated power to low power components like CDP/Pre's ? and leave the amps on main power..or is there a benefit by giving the same to the amps as well.

Last edited:
true..that is also an option. I guess with these options you get a product which would even have warranty support from india.

But i am still not very clear on something. Is it better to give Regenerated power to low power components like CDP/Pre's ? and leave the amps on main power..or is there a benefit by giving the same to the amps as well.

I know this is one of those topics that parallels' religious discussions.

Unless you use high end equipment including a high end power conditioner with high end power chords, you will not see an impact on the audio signals (note: I am not saying it will be better).

The biggest benefit with using good quality power chords and conditioners is the regulation of power so that your components are fed consistently to perform at their optimal levels.

And you have to ensure all components are taken into consideration when planning something like this. Leaving out one or two components will not realise the said benefits.

Again all this is my opinion.

Unless you use high end equipment including a high end power conditioner with high end power chords, you will not see an impact on the audio signals (note: I am not saying it will be better).

The biggest benefit with using good quality power chords and conditioners is the regulation of power so that your components are fed consistently to perform at their optimal levels.

I used Power Chords in the 200-500 USD range and in the end moved to Finolex DIY :rolleyes:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back