Power fluctuations in chennai

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38504

Chennai members, your help again please.

In my living room I have a stereo setup comprising of my TT, CD player and stereo amp connected to my tannoys.
In my HT room, I have a 55” tv setup to a 7.1 system.

Where I live we have power backup installed by the society itself in Hiranandani.

However to protect my equipment from damage, what can I install in my home?

In the pic I have attached, you can see on the left wall is where the CB panel is (with the flap open). Just before that, on the left side, there is a nice depression in the wall, where I can install the power equipment and have it in a cabinet so that it’s not seen to people and that it looks neat and tidy.

Guide me as to what I need. Specific to chennai.

Thanks again.

804046F2-F9FB-4604-B97A-ECFAAACDDADA.jpeg

Try to get a good 1KVA UPS with Surge. I got the APC BR1000G recently. You can check for similar models on Amazon. It has 6 outlets and should be good enough to connect your equipments.

Where I live we have power backup installed by the society itself in Hiranandani.

So i believe, there isn't a need for an inverter.. Check with society technician, if the backup already provides stabilized power output..

However to protect my equipment from damage, what can I install in my home?

All you would need is a stabiliser.. Pick the one that is usually matched with a 1 / 1.5 ton A/c.. Around 4KVA and 15 Amps.. Shouldn't cost more than 5K maxx.. Should provide stabilized output for all your A/V equipment in different rooms..

All the 6 ac units are going to have individual stabilizors.

Spoke to the technician in Hiranandani. The backup is generator backup which only provides power to lights, fans, fridge and one tv in living room. He recommends getting a UPS.

Try to get a good 1KVA UPS with Surge. I got the APC BR1000G recently. You can check for similar models on Amazon. It has 6 outlets and should be good enough to connect your equipments.
Does it have to be kept near the amp, CD player etc? Or can it be kept where I said, in the pic above, connected directly to the cb board?

Oh ...partial backup........you definitely need a good UPS.....so get something that can drive the total load .....

All the 6 ac units are going to have individual stabilizors.

Spoke to the technician in Hiranandani. The backup is generator backup which only provides power to lights, fans, fridge and one tv in living room. He recommends getting a UPS.

Then i guess you are better of with a whole house UPS + stabiliser in the place where you like them.. May be 8.5 KVA (or) more..

Assuming not all the A/C will be fully functional all the time, it should be fine..

I recently picked a 8KVA used stabiliser from a chennai FM as the voltage is my rural area is really bad.. (Hovers between 160 ~ 180).. The stabilised output (220V) is excellent and never seen my fan (or) exhaust spinning so fast :D..

Thanks elango, how would I setup this? I mean who can guide me on what I need and how and where to setup this completely?

Thanks elango, how would I setup this? I mean who can guide me on what I need and how and where to setup this completely?

No worries.. I will check with my friends for a reliable contact who have done it at their home and will pass it on to you.. The technician should be able to visit your location and suggest you accordingly..

Celester340- The other choice would be to install a power transformer, preferably balanced, or equivalent power isolation product which has an inbuilt stabilizer. But as i mentioned before you have to be really careful to ensure that it doesn't end up degrading the sound quality/performance.
Thanks.

Does it have to be kept near the amp, CD player etc? Or can it be kept where I said, in the pic above, connected directly to the cb board?
Yes , it acts as a surge protector also. So you have to connect the UPS to main and your devices to this UPS.

I do feel your equipment deserves something like the Vertex. Many FMs are using it including me.
And they are Chennai based to boot :)

Hi, can u please mention the model number and the price of the servo? Thanks
Below is from their mail. This was 5 years back so mentioning price will not have much meaning. Contact them at vertexpower.co.in

2 kVA VERTEX Servo Stabiliser Microcontroller Based
Features:
a. Input range - 170 V - 270 V
b. Output - 230 V +/- 1%
c. Electronic Under / Over voltage cutoff
d. Electronic Overload cutoff
e. Built-in Double Stage EMI / RFI filter & Spike Suppressor (MOV)
f. LCD display - Reads I/P & O/P voltages / Output Current / Frequency
g. Input - 4 sq mm Cable. Output Sockets - 5 A - 4 nos
h. Warranty - 1 Year

Hi Celester...I have fluctuations at my place too. And after much consultation in this forum and elsewhere, I have been recommended the below set of equipment.

1. CVT of 6 kVA to be mounted externally near the main power cabinet for the audio room. - best qouted price so far is 47k

2. Isolation transformer of 2 kVA each for each amp and source - each price is 7k

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back