Power plant PS AUDIO

Off course you win. I am not fighting you. You got your money's worth. I am not arguing you for a win. (Your subjective impression can be a placebo until and unless you can prove it beyond doubt by objective measurements....which is actually not your onus but the manufacturer)

Let me clear my perspective in a different way:

This device will cost around Rs 5.5 lakhs in India (going by the usual rate of US prices in India). And the performance of this device is zero improvement over your mains supply.

Now I have installed a 10kw solar power plant which included a 10kw ABB solar string inverter, SPD modules, 4 ground earthing system, and MCBs. The cost of the project without subsidy was Rs 7 lakh. Our side we get 70% subsidy. I paid Rs 2 lakhs for the plant.

And my power quality with this system is fantastic. (and with protection and proper grounding).

So yeah, you can win.

But I am not here for winning.
But for sharing perspectives.

Obviously you may need not agree with me. Neither am I asking you to agree with me.

I AM JUST BEING CRITICAL TO MANUFACTURERS LIKE PS AUDIO. And sharing my perspective that these kind of companies wil never get me as their consumer. I will buy good performing products be it cheap or expensive. (that always has been our individual choice).

70 percent subsidy? Can you buy one for me as well and I will get it shipped to my address? I will pay you an additional 1 lakh for your help...I am serious...

I think everyone does the same thing. you seem to follow the ASR definition on what is a good product. Others May have a different perspective on what constitutes a good product for them.
Actually I don’t follow any definition (there is nothing like ASR definition) but what the current audio technology considers as objective parameters of a well engineered product. I rely on precision, performance and reliability.

And yes measurements tends to tell the engineering aspect.

Again let me reiterate : the OP is not an affront to your/our individual choices …..but rather a scathing perspective to manufacturers like PS Audio which lies through the teeth.

It’s upto individual whether to believe as accordingly.

@Enkay78 this is off thread just a question,
if by any chance you have the moolah to get the Pearl Acoustics Sibelius. Will you try them then buy or check on the measurements and then decide ?

Asking cause, just a brief these speakers where in development for 3 years, have one single driver for both high freq and low freq.
Guess what, these speakers where designed by ears not any other measurements first then later they tested them.
These are made by Harley Lovegrove, who is a musician, recording engineer and a serious audiophile.

You seem to rely too much on measurements, not that its wrong. But measurements just tell one side of the story.

I certainly won't make comments or judge anything until I listen, see or feel and ofcourse try it out.
Be it anything, cars, bikes, amps, pre amps, DAC's or heck even speaker cables.

1646063740661.png

Last edited by a moderator:
When all the evidences points there is no change or difference?

I know we all want the music that we hear from our devices (be it cheap/expensive/ultraexpensive).....but we should not be missing a point that we can fall for marketing. And that marketing should be ethical.

Asking the evidence from companies or influencers are what will make the hobby and the industry healthier than the phoolery with leeching-profit-vested-interest.

For many of the veterans, theirs journey has been long. But for the sake of young generations, IMO we should be helping what is chaff and grain.

Off course my disclaimer has been :it's your money, your hobby - you can mortgage your house, well a kidney ....you can do what you want.

I am not asking accountability from you.....but from the sellers and marketers, manufacturers.
its a very valid point.

One buys a product assuming that a product has been well engineered and does what it says. In most industries this is true and the manufacturer is mandated to be true to promise in relevant areas ( yeah there still are "Aap ke toothpase mein namak hai lunacy)

In audio being such a minuscule and fragmented market there is severe lack of accountability to promise but again it is small . I remember an estimation of it as around 25B USD for all audio equipment which is almost 16 times smaller than the wine market which is also a very subjective market.
Again if we take just the High rez market of that , wont be surprised if its much less than 10% of the above

So it is a buyer beware market and people have to use some discretion in buying whether its looking at specs , measuring by ear or word of mouth.

Actually I don’t follow any definition (there is nothing like ASR definition) but what the current audio technology considers as objective parameters of a well engineered product. I rely on precision, performance and reliability.
If you consider objective measurements as the thing that matters to you the most, by all means that is your definition of good equipment. However I would urge you to look for alternate sources of data rather than just one. ASR has in the past been known to use cherry picked (manufacturer sourced) samples and their results dont always agree with other people using the same equipment.

There are other people who may consider something other than objective measurement as what matters to them most. This is a hobby and people listen to music for pleasure. Something that maximizes listening pleasure for a specific individual may not be the same thing that looks best on a graph. Remember most Harman research is meant for the average individual but in real life there are wide dispersions from the mean.

I think a few are missing the point of this thread. All that the OP is saying is that any claims by a company have to be backed up by data. Copy-writing for a product with a flowery vocabulary is easy.

In music, some learn theory, and some learn by ear. Those who learn theory and are able to read sheet music can understand a given musical piece just by reading it.
Proven theory is absolute, because there's only one way to interprete it. In the same vein, measurements are also absolute, It helps us make an educated decision.

But the funny aspect of audio is, that most of the sound quality is dictated by the room, this is where subjectivity kicks in. Bless us all for this conundrum! Most of us do not have a room with ideal acoustic conditions, and hence the to-and-fro between objectivity and subjectivity.

Sir, why stop people from judging others? If someone is posting about how good their 10,000 USD power conditioner is, we should allow people to criticize as well... In the end, people are free to spend their own money however and wherever they like but it is better if we allow people to read both sides of a story which might help others in their purchase... I would not like it if e commerce websites don't allow for negative reviews to be posted...
Panditji you got a point but this is just a debate bait & will go no where, if taken with humour then it's fun but sometimes it goes personal with few members. I just have fun now with these measurement thingies but still abit old fashion & believe in auditions more then anything for speakers, amps, cables & even TVs. If i like what i hear/see then i don't give a .. about how it measures, thats just me :)

I knew this was a bait for a useless debate,
Mr @Enkay78 has started the fire & now is chilling in the air conditioned room :p
Solar powered air conditioned room.

totally off topic, I would really be keen to understand from @Enkay78 how he went about getting renewable power. If he would write a post about it in the relate to sub forum, I am sure it would be helpful for a lot of people.

Panditji you got a point but this is just a debate bait & will go no where, if taken with humour then it's fun but sometimes it goes personal with few members. I just have fun now with these measurement thingies but still abit old fashion & believe in auditions more then anything for speakers, amps, cables & even TVs. If i like what i hear/see then i don't give about how it measures, thats just me :)
And I agree completely.. It should be taken with humour as everyone is entitled to their opinion and making fun of rich people with extra cash is one of the favourite pastimes of us belonging to the middle class... I also believe in hearing for myself but that's because I don't understand measurements..

ASR is a little biased review site in my opinion, but in this product case though, one review by Stereophile was quite humourous to say the least.

Here is how it starts....
As good as the system had sounded with the P5 (I guess the earlier version), with the P12 there was a major step forward in overall realism. With no change in volume setting, the sound was more dynamic. This was particularly noticeable with audiophile blockbuster CDs….
In my initial bout of listening, amplification was provided by the PS Audio Stellar M700s, and as it's likely that PSA "voiced" those amps with a Power Plant in their reference system, the P12 and M700 might be expected to act synergistically.

Voicing an amplifier using the company's power conditioner in the chain ;). Pinnacle of a paid review in my opinion.

ASR is a little biased review site in my opinion, but in this product case though, one review by Stereophile was quite humourous to say the least.

Here is how it starts....
As good as the system had sounded with the P5 (I guess the earlier version), with the P12 there was a major step forward in overall realism. With no change in volume setting, the sound was more dynamic. This was particularly noticeable with audiophile blockbuster CDs….
In my initial bout of listening, amplification was provided by the PS Audio Stellar M700s, and as it's likely that PSA "voiced" those amps with a Power Plant in their reference system, the P12 and M700 might be expected to act synergistically.

Voicing an amplifier using the company's power conditioner in the chain ;). Pinnacle of a paid review in my opinion.
I know. But stereophile IMHO is the best of the bad ones. at least there is some measurement: so objectivity vs subjectivity. The others are sheer entertainment....

back on topic: almost all the audio components work on DC. so there is voltage conversion and rectification going on. dont know how switching PS works but my 12th class physics tell me that an LPS with a full wave rectifier and an adequate amount of capacitance should take care of most use cases. (else just add more capacitance) for a moment forget the ASR review and measurement, would not love to see the technical reasons as to why this should work. and benefit an expensive (and hopefully well designed) audio kit

And I agree completely.. It should be taken with humour as everyone is entitled to their opinion and making fun of rich people with extra cash is one of the favourite pastimes of us belonging to the middle class... I also believe in hearing for myself but that's because I don't understand measurements.. Not giving a flying f**k is the best way to live sir and I am right beside you on that philosophy...
@panditji

I actually defer in the perspective.

I don't think we middle class should be jealous of rich people. Anytime middle class can also become rich.

I am not denigrating any expensive/boutique gadgets. They can cost millions of dollar or even billions of dollars with unobtanium chips, transistors. They can.

My point is when these expenses are given a rationale for hyperperformance........which does not show up in measurements/evidences. That's where I wouldn't like to give credence to the device /manufacturers. These manufacturers then has the prime objective of rich profits rather than the ultra/hyper performance they espouse.

There has to be some rationale for the value chain system in this hobby. We can't be blind sheeps.

And for me the level of evidence or quality of evidence is poor when someone says there is difference or improvement of sonic qualities without the backing of solid measurements. That person may not even have a proper auditory acuity....as most of such persons are old and more than 50years old. The older they are there is a suspect of their hearing acumen.

Again in this forum, many members are forgetting that there are people like me who cannot avail opportunity of audition due to logistics/unavailability of products. So how can I hear it?
Whereas when engineering these products, the research and parameters have been established beyond any doubt.

HOw can a rely on audiophiliac like influencers who is a old guy perhaps 60years plus age whose hearing acuity is suspect - how can his recommendation be better than the spinorama of the speakers? (Just an eg)

i know. but stereophile IMHO is the best of the bad ones. at least for speakers there is some measurement so objectivity vs subjectivity. the others...

back on topic: almost all the audio components work on DC. so there is voltage conversion and rectification going on. dont know how switching PS works but my 12th class physics tell me that an LPS with a full wave rectifier and an adequate amount of capacitance should take care of most use cases. (else just add more capacitance) for a moment forget the ASR review and measurement, would not love to see the technical reasons as to why this should work. and benefit an expensive (and hopefully well designed) audio kit

If the power supply of the component is designed well you do not really need this but that is rare and expensive. But for most equipment, it is not as good and thats the reason music sounds better in the night is not just due to ambient sound but also due to better power quality since most industrial equipment are offline.In the end it comes down to the quality of power. eg for those in Mumbai any of these are a waste. In bangalore it varies by locality/apartment complex.

I have found a regenerator working very well for a CD player and DAC. not just the quality of the power but also since it prevents the hash generated by the power supply back to the mains and hence into the Amp. But of course I use a 800USD Monarchy regenerator which works on the simple principle of amplifying a 50hz sinusoidal signal to a 150W power output.

AC motors in turntables are very susceptible to frequency and voltage variations and this is one area where a convertor can be useful. direct drives need not have that problem.

If the power supply of the component is designed well you do not really need this but that is rare and expensive. But for most equipment, it is not as good and thats the reason music sounds better in the night is not just due to ambient sound but also due to better power quality since most industrial equipment are offline.In the end it comes down to the quality of power. eg for those in Mumbai any of these are a waste. In bangalore it varies by locality/apartment complex.

I have found a regenerator working very well for a CD player and DAC. not just the quality of the power but also since it prevents the hash generated by the power supply back to the mains and hence into the Amp. But of course I use a 800USD Monarchy regenerator which works on the simple principle of amplifying a 50hz sinusoidal signal to a 150W power output.

AC motors in turntables are very susceptible to frequency and voltage variations and this is one area where a convertor can be useful. direct drives need not have that problem.
Thanks. This is exactly my point. and what I struggle with. A good power supply should complete rectification i.e no trace of AC noise. (apart, obviously being able to supply the demanded voltage and current) So a poorly designed one will let some extraneous mains noise in. (as a seperate argument, many budget hifi manufacturers are able to get their power supply to give clean current to the audio sections, so it should not be really rocket science)

Now this product, even if it works as intended will just provide pure 50hz (or 60hz) power. but how does it help the poorly designed power supply defined above. because AFAIK, AC-DC is not a band stop function (i.e optimised at a particular frequency only), post full-wave rectification its a low pass filter, which should be largely frequency agnostic, (unless the AC frequency is going waaay below 50hz to say 10hz or so) so how would a pure sine wave improve the said poorly designed power supply.

finally to the product itself. what I read is that essentially a very high quality version of our sine wave invertor found in many Indian homes, except that those are line-interactive and this is fully online. So there should be 3 parts - AC-DC rectification; DC "purification" - Essentiall removing all noise and getting a steady DC supply and AC modulation. the last bit is key because the if the modulation isnt good, what's the point?

at the end of it all, with my limited understanding, I think it would be a lot easier to just work on the DC end with a better low pass (thats just a lot of capacitors, (or may be LC circuit?). I dont want to hijack the thread but this comes from a place of genuine curiosity and desire to learn. if you have any insight or want to correct my understnading, Please DM. I would welcome that

EDIT: Understand your point about AC motors and how this could be useful. I don't think the ASR review checked for that (or really dirty main supplies)

Last edited:
My angst is why is that cost 5500 dollars for the negligible improvement of AC supply? I mean what are they marketing? And are they marketing with solid evidence to back their claims?

And why should we hobbyists lap up such products just because of flowery syntax and poetic influencers ?

Anyway that's my personal view. Like I have been saying - it's ones money....for all that matters one can spend whatever amount deem fit for the value one percieves.

My angst is why is that cost 5500 dollars for the negligible improvement of AC supply? I mean what are they marketing? And are they marketing with solid evidence to back their claims?

And why should we hobbyists lap up such products just because of flowery syntax and poetic influencers ?

Anyway that's my personal view. Like I have been saying - it's ones money....for all that matters one can spend whatever amount deem fit for the value one percieves.
what I realised after reading @arj's post is that in the review, it was not really tested against dirty power. 1.8% distortion of source power is actually pretty good, which means with a 110v power supply the sum of all harmonics and noise is less than 2v. better power than what most of us get at the socket. Maybe the results would be more stark with dirty power. Plus not seen the results on TTs that require AC power.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back