Pre-amp decoder for DTS-HD Master Audio / DD TrueHD

sunilyo

my current setup is as follows:

Sony - KDL-32CX520
Marantz - SR4600
A.C. Ryan Playon!Essential

Now my query:

I have a few copies of blue-ray movies on ACRyan with DTS-Master Audio and DD THD.

The Marantz does not decode these codecs internally. I know the AC Ryan does this, but still I am looking for an external decoder (ONLY) for these audio formats which converts it to the AC3 format (DD or DTS). As I am not in the mood of buying a new AVR.

So want to ask if there is any hardware like this available in the market or should I invest in a BD-Player or PS3.

External decoder alone costs much than an mid end avr....

Last edited:
Yes, external decoders cost more than most AVRs. Have a look at the Emotiva UMC-1 or any other AVR with pre-outs.

Most cost effective way is to use a 7.1 sound card with analog outs on a PC.

Assuming is your Marantz AVR has analog inputs.

Thanks guys for the response. I do have a PC with Auzentech xplosion 7.1 sound card, but that too does not support DD THD and DTS MA formats. Looks like I will have to use the LPCM mode on AC Ryan and maybe get myself a BDplayer and connect it to the analogue 7.1 inputs on Marantz.

The Marantz does not decode these codecs internally. I know the AC Ryan does this...
Like the Marantz, the AC Ryan does not decode these codecs, just passes them through (via HDMI output).
I am looking for an external decoder (ONLY) for these audio formats which converts it to the AC3 format (DD or DTS).
No need to. Every TrueHD track has a companion Dolby Digital track embedded in the bitstream (for backwards compatibility). Likewise, every DTS-HD Master Audio track has a core DTS track (for backwards compatibility). You don't think Dolby Labs and DTS would come out with new codecs that weren't backwards compatible with older receivers, did you?

So just connect your AC Ryan to your Marantz using either the optical or coax connection (doesn't matter), and you'll be able to hear the legacy DD and DTS tracks in those bitstreams. Since your Marantz can't recognize TrueHD and DTS-HD MA information, it will simply ignore the rest of the data in those bitstreams.

Best part: the legacy DD and DTS tracks on Blu-ray are at maximum bitrate for those codecs, so you'll hear better sound quality than those same titles on regular DVD (which use lower bitrate DD and half bitrate DTS).

BTW, Dolby stopped using the term "AC-3" and changed it to "DD" about 15 years ago. Same codec, just a different name.

Like the Marantz, the AC Ryan does not decode these codecs, just passes them through (via HDMI output). No need to. Every TrueHD track has a companion Dolby Digital track embedded in the bitstream (for backwards compatibility). Likewise, every DTS-HD Master Audio track has a core DTS track (for backwards compatibility). You don't think Dolby Labs and DTS would come out with new codecs that weren't backwards compatible with older receivers, did you?

So just connect your AC Ryan to your Marantz using either the optical or coax connection (doesn't matter), and you'll be able to hear the legacy DD and DTS tracks in those bitstreams. Since your Marantz can't recognize TrueHD and DTS-HD MA information, it will simply ignore the rest of the data in those bitstreams.

Best part: the legacy DD and DTS tracks on Blu-ray are at maximum bitrate for those codecs, so you'll hear better sound quality than those same titles on regular DVD (which use lower bitrate DD and half bitrate DTS).

BTW, Dolby stopped using the term "AC-3" and changed it to "DD" about 15 years ago. Same codec, just a different name.

Agree with sdurani. Even my situation was similar as my preamp b&K ref 30 is very old I guess close to 10 years, But No issues here. By blu ray digital out is decoded well and output is fine.

Thanks
Pandu

You can get cheap Yamaha AVR like 663,665,667 which has 7.1 preout out.
US 667 is available for $370 around.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back