Pre amp for a CA651a integrated amp

sabarishm

Hi all,

Is it possible to connect a pre amp to my ca 651a integrated ? I do not see any main/pre in on the amp. If it is possible, will it better the sound than it is currently playing ?

Thanks,
Sabarish

According to me , YES , it is possible to connect output from a Preamp to input of an Integrated Amp. But you have to control two volume controllers or potentiometers . That can also be ok as long as you can handle safely.
Assuming you have a higher spec or quality PreAmp compared to the PreAmp section of the IntegAmp , You will get sound improvement.
But remember , the preamp section of the IntgAmp still continues to be in the signal path , therefore some distortion will be added at that stage ( assuming Preamp of Intgamp is only an Avg one ) .

A Integrated amp is basically a Preamp + power amp built into a single Chassis.
So your CA 651A already has a preamp inbuilt.

As far as I know there is not way of bypassing the internal preamp section to connect an external Preamp

if there are jumpers provided.. then yes.. i think it can be done.. the CA can be used only as a power amp and an external pre can be connected.

mpw

this is an interesting thread to read on... I have a peculiar situation though. I m using a Marantz PM5004 "Integrated" stereo Amp.

1) Can this be connected (as a powerAmp) to an Emotiva PreAmp to drive front speakers?

2) can we connect Active speakers to a PreAmp?

3) Can we connect line-level out put to a Power Amp?

4) What's the exact difference between Pre-out and Line-out? (is "Line-level" same thing as "Lin-out"? what I understand by this is the RCA out from any audio jack)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back