Pre-Amp or New receiver?

Not heard the Emotiva series, but the Anthem and the ATI are highly recommended. Anthem products in general for audio/ht and ATI more for HT. The ATI are excellent VFM and highly under-rated, they have an industrial design look (at least internal design). Outlaw if I am not mistaken are made by ATI. ATI is also an OEM for many high end houses including Lexicon in the past. Their list is long and the end brand names are kept quite secretive.

Anthem is sold in India, distributor in Calcutta but the last I checked the prices were :mad:, lets just say its cheaper if I as an end user were to import this directly from any store in the US and pay full shipping and customs on it, it would still be cheaper, I wonder how many peices could have been sold?

p.s. We are working on getting the ATI stuff down to India.

cheers

Hi,

Sumit considering all your points and doing some research Here's conclusion !!

First off its better that you retain the AVR as pre and buy an Power Amp !! For the simple reason already said reasons !

The choices are below and all are within 2000$ (keeping the same price range as the AVR's that you have in mind), the below list is on the price basis
(meaning the order in which they appear)

1.Emotiva Reference Theater Series IPS-1 (1200$)
2.Anthem PVA 7 (1500$)
3.Outlaw Audio The Model 7200 (1850$)
4.Sherbourn Technologies 7/1250A 7-channel Amplifier (2000$)
5.ATI AT1807 (2000$)

So these should give you enough choice to choose from with any parameter or anyway that you want to choose !!

Or If you are hellbent on selling the AVR I'd still say please give pre-power a serious thought then AVR's !! but if you must (for whatever reasons) here's the AVR's that I'd suggest !

1.Yamaha 1800,3800
2.Denon 3808,4308
3.Sony STR-DA5300ES
4.Onkyo 805/875
5.B&K Components AVR507 S2

The above AVR's are suggested only on the basis of power and the drive that they have (or the Juice) so it has to be taken in only that way !!

The reason for me not to include the marantz is, I've said it in the past and will say it again !

The Marantz is more suited for music and casual movie watching !! The Marantz lacks the drive and muscle power required to give a true HT performance ! you have already experienced that yourself so nothing much I can say for that ! The almost entire Marantz series barring their flagship 9000 is plagued by the same problem !!

So I think this is enough for you to make a solid mind as to what type of electronics you want to buy !!

Regards.

Anthem is great , if you afford that go for it.

Emotiva quality i can vouch on great amps.The company is started by retired audio engineers from other big companies who wanted to make a difference with vfm quality product.If im nor mistaken Emo also i believe at some point of time was OEM for sunfire and i don't need to tell you about sunfire's rep.

Maybe the MPS-2 for the detailing. The XPA series if your looking for more robust power.I vote on Emotiva im a little biased since i have one:D.Emotiva Forum

ATI amplifiers hold their own, solid tank looking(although some do not like that look and want a more consumer looking piece). This is also a good choice

3 great choices, can't really go wrong with either. Would depend more on how much you want to spend.

Sunil....
How is your experience with 805? What do you drive with it? Do you have a lip-sync prob with 805? Where did you buy it from and for how much?

Also, guys I still need addresses for places where I can buy power-amps in India. Please help. Lest I shall have to upgrade my AVR.

Thanks.

I've upgraded to 875 (basically as you mentioned the same 805 with upscaler and bit more muscle), because some regional channels are still in SD here that my wife mainly watch! No lipsync issues for me

I'm very cautious with the money I spend :), hence opted Onkyo over Denon as performance wise both satisfied me well. Personally I felt, Onkyo has winning edge on Dynamics & detail while handling True HD-MA tracks

Also I don't need the network support as I've multiple streaming devices there in the setup already [PS3 / Squeezebox Duet].

I'm driving M&K Xenon 36 speakers and dual subs (SVS PB13 & SVS PC+).

Sunil....
How is your experience with 805? What do you drive with it? Do you have a lip-sync prob with 805? Where did you buy it from and for how much?

Thanks for the info.
I take it from your quote that for Onkyo you had spend less money as compared to DENON. You are comparing 875 to which model of DENON? What was the cost diff?
Also, as I requested you earler: please tell me from where and for how much you bought the 875?

Thanks

I've upgraded to 875 (basically as you mentioned the same 805 with upscaler and bit more muscle), because some regional channels are still in SD here that my wife mainly watch! No lipsync issues for me

I'm very cautious with the money I spend :), hence opted Onkyo over Denon as performance wise both satisfied me well. Personally I felt, Onkyo has winning edge on Dynamics & detail while handling True HD-MA tracks

Also I don't need the network support as I've multiple streaming devices there in the setup already [PS3 / Squeezebox Duet].

I'm driving M&K Xenon 36 speakers and dual subs (SVS PB13 & SVS PC+).

Hope you see my location above. Sorry, no knowledge on indian pricing but can give the trend in the market!

Compared with Denon 3808 [here we get home demo opportunity, for that I got Onkyo 805 & Denon 3808. Hope that make things clear]

I bought Onkyo for £850 in Feb 08 (after dealer discount - RRP £1000), but now the average market rate is £600 :(

Thanks for the info.
I take it from your quote that for Onkyo you had spend less money as compared to DENON. You are comparing 875 to which model of DENON? What was the cost diff?
Also, as I requested you earler: please tell me from where and for how much you bought the 875?

Thanks

Hey Suniil!!
I had no clue your were living in London. I am familiar with this place.

Nevertheless, its gr8 that you can get stuff for demo and then make the right decision. Because, what may sound crap at the dealers, may sound brilliant at your house or vice-versa.

Also, you preffered the 875 over 3808. Interesting....Please tell me your reason for same. Which one would your prefer for movies and which one for music. What about 875 getting all heated up?

Thanks. It is good to get comparison from somebody who has used both.

Sumit:

I also have an Onkyo 875. Yes it does get exceedingly hot (enough to fry an omelette, joked an reviewer). Actually it gets hot even when it is in the standby mode. This is because of the massive toroidal transformers they have and the push-pull amplification they have which is closest you can get to Class A tube amplifier with transistors. Actually the power from the AVR is so much, I have never had to cross the 11 'O' Clock position. I mostly use somewhere around 75 Db as my standard listening position.

To handle the heat issue, I have done a couple of things. One I have provided a separate power supply to the 875 allowing me to switch off the power when I am using the TV for something else. Two, I have provided separate stand for the 875 and kept the DVD Player and other electronics away from the AVR. There, I ensure the room temperature is around 18 degrees. My wife jokes that the A/c is more for the AVR than for human beings!!!

I bought the 875 for a number of reasons.

1. It has THX select and Audessey room correction.
2. If has one of the best technologies in the world for upscaling to 1080p.
3. Onkyo has completely redesigned the 2008 series (600, 700, and 800 series of AVRs) from ground up specifically to beat Yamaha and Denon. They have succeeded as many of their units have been runaway successes.
4. It has a feature that completely switches off all video functionality for listening to 2 channel music.
5. Capability to recognise and play new audio formats including SACD, DVD Audio, and HD music.

How does it sound? This is a difficult question to answer. But in any case let me try. I do NOT listen at very high volumes, and usually I watch movies alone without any interruption. For me the sound of breathing, the whispers, the dialogues, the subtle background sounds are very important. The 875 renders these very well. Dialogues are very clear and you don't have to strain to hear what the actors and saying.

Is the sound warm or bright? I would say the sound is as close to transparent as possible. I don't think the 875 adds any hue or coloration to the sound. If the source is bad, the 875 may sound bad. At times, for example, in old Hindi movies, in some of Latha's songs, her voice does sound 'screechy' forcing me to reduce the volume. But in well recorded music or movies media, the sound is 'just right'

I listen regularly to Ragamala by Ravi Shankar, an album played by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, Ravi Shankar, and Allah Rakha. There are moments when there is absolute silence and the trembles come on slowly. There are also moments when after a tumultuous rendering by the whole Orchestra, Ravi Shankar plays the sitar and very very slowly. In one part, there is an artist who walks across the stage with a small bell in his hand, and you can clearly hear the physical movement of the bell.

The 875 is able to play this album quite well.

Lat me also add, that in spite of what I say about the 875, in my mind, all NO AVRs is inherently suited for music. I am installing separate electronics for 2 channel music. I will then be able to switch between the two systems and decide whether an AVR can play as well as an dedicated CD player, and a 2 channel integrated amp.

About an year ago I heard a Yamaha CD Player, connected to a Pulz two channel amplifier driving Wharfedale 9.5 floor standers. I yet savour the music I heard on that combination. Pulz, by the way, is made by a Mumbai based manufacturer. So why not the Pulz you may ask. It does not have a remote amongst other usage shortcomings including low quality connectors.

With regard to pricing, last I heard, the 3808 was around 120K and the 875 around 90K in India.

Cheers

Hey venkat!!

Thanks a whole lot for the detailed description. It really made thing clear about 875.

I think for me 805 is a better choice as I don't want to do any upscaling from the receiver. but, nevertheless the 875 seems like a gr8 buy. Kudos to u on ur purchase.
I too have planned an integrated amp for later on and a switcher. Right now I need a good receiver for movies, and more movies and some more movies. Period. Or a power amp as suggested by soundsgr8. I still have to recieve input from fellow bloggers where I can buy poweramps in India.

Where did u buy ur 875 from and for how much? Pls PM me if u don't want to disclose for any reason.

I agree that no receiver is inherently made for music. But, I think Marantz is very musical. Infact the only reason I want to sell my MarantzSr5001 is because it is not so gr8 for movies as the power is less for ME. The stereo is sound is gr8 for a receiver in Marantz.

Your input has been a help.

thanks
Sumit:

I also have an Onkyo 875. Yes it does get exceedingly hot (enough to fry an omelette, joked an reviewer). Actually it gets hot even when it is in the standby mode. This is because of the massive toroidal transformers they have and the push-pull amplification they have which is closest you can get to Class A tube amplifier with transistors. Actually the power from the AVR is so much, I have never had to cross the 11 'O' Clock position. I mostly use somewhere around 75 Db as my standard listening position.

To handle the heat issue, I have done a couple of things. One I have provided a separate power supply to the 875 allowing me to switch off the power when I am using the TV for something else. Two, I have provided separate stand for the 875 and kept the DVD Player and other electronics away from the AVR. There, I ensure the room temperature is around 18 degrees. My wife jokes that the A/c is more for the AVR than for human beings!!!

I bought the 875 for a number of reasons.

1. It has THX select and Audessey room correction.
2. If has one of the best technologies in the world for upscaling to 1080p.
3. Onkyo has completely redesigned the 2008 series (600, 700, and 800 series of AVRs) from ground up specifically to beat Yamaha and Denon. They have succeeded as many of their units have been runaway successes.
4. It has a feature that completely switches off all video functionality for listening to 2 channel music.
5. Capability to recognise and play new audio formats including SACD, DVD Audio, and HD music.

How does it sound? This is a difficult question to answer. But in any case let me try. I do NOT listen at very high volumes, and usually I watch movies alone without any interruption. For me the sound of breathing, the whispers, the dialogues, the subtle background sounds are very important. The 875 renders these very well. Dialogues are very clear and you don't have to strain to hear what the actors and saying.

Is the sound warm or bright? I would say the sound is as close to transparent as possible. I don't think the 875 adds any hue or coloration to the sound. If the source is bad, the 875 may sound bad. At times, for example, in old Hindi movies, in some of Latha's songs, her voice does sound 'screechy' forcing me to reduce the volume. But in well recorded music or movies media, the sound is 'just right'

I listen regularly to Ragamala by Ravi Shankar, an album played by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, Ravi Shankar, and Allah Rakha. There are moments when there is absolute silence and the trembles come on slowly. There are also moments when after a tumultuous rendering by the whole Orchestra, Ravi Shankar plays the sitar and very very slowly. In one part, there is an artist who walks across the stage with a small bell in his hand, and you can clearly hear the physical movement of the bell.

The 875 is able to play this album quite well.

Lat me also add, that in spite of what I say about the 875, in my mind, all NO AVRs is inherently suited for music. I am installing separate electronics for 2 channel music. I will then be able to switch between the two systems and decide whether an AVR can play as well as an dedicated CD player, and a 2 channel integrated amp.

About an year ago I heard a Yamaha CD Player, connected to a Pulz two channel amplifier driving Wharfedale 9.5 floor standers. I yet savour the music I heard on that combination. Pulz, by the way, is made by a Mumbai based manufacturer. So why not the Pulz you may ask. It does not have a remote amongst other usage shortcomings including low quality connectors.

With regard to pricing, last I heard, the 3808 was around 120K and the 875 around 90K in India.

Cheers

Ping me when you happen to fly down again. I live 15 min away from London Eye / Parliament hall

Hey Suniil!!
I had no clue your were living in London. I am familiar with this place.

As i mentioned earlier dynamics & details of Lossless tracks Swayed me towards Onkyo. Onkyo 875 forced me to replace my closed cabinet with open shelf. If you are after all singing & dancing central hub of entertainment at budget, Onkyo is the winner.

But if you are more into 2 channel music, you definitely need to listen Denon too. If i get another chance to go thru that upgrade path, do I go for Onkyo 8xx again? I'd at least make an attempt to listen to pre-power comination (8000ap av) from Audiolabls

Also, you preffered the 875 over 3808. Interesting....Please tell me your reason for same. Which one would your prefer for movies and which one for music. What about 875 getting all heated up?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back