pre amp?? power amp??

always get confused regarding these... pls explain..
Another easy solution - it's called "Search the forum". Please search this forum and you will know all you need to know. Post your specific questions afterwards and the guys here will be happy to help.

in short, in audio systems the preamp is the control part of the amp. it is built into integrated amps but can be separate and used with with power amplifiers or active speakers and sub woofers..
the preamp amplifies the voltage coming from the line level, the power amp provides the current gain necessary to drive speakers..
the preamp shapes the signal of the line level before it is sent to the power amp ..the power amp provides the necessary amplification to power speakers which produce the final sound..

Another easy solution - it's called "Search the forum". Please search this forum and you will know all you need to know. Post your specific questions afterwards and the guys here will be happy to help.

instead of taking the pain of putting this post you might have as well ignored it... i was looking for an answer not a suggestion... guess you didnt notice the question marks on the title...

if it was that easy then this forum would not have existed and you wouldnt have had a chance to post your easy solution!!
riju, have some courtesy to thank someone who helped you. Spiro did the searching and posted the links here, so Mr.I_dont_search could just click away and understand.

thekinge is right too, please do use the search functionality. These topics have been discussed plenty of times. Trust me, it is not as difficult as you think:rolleyes:.

like everyone else, before joining this community a couple months back all i did was google and wiki... the reason for my question here was i wanted an answer from people who use them and how they benefit from the same...
i liked the way moktan explained the utilities of the pre and power...
but then i would really appreciate if someone could tell me how to use them...
i have a 60W amp and 100W speakers...
should i use a pre or a power or both?
without them, what am i missing in my sound?

like everyone else, before joining this community a couple months back all i did was google and wiki... the reason for my question here was i wanted an answer from people who use them and how they benefit from the same...
i liked the way moktan explained the utilities of the pre and power...
but then i would really appreciate if someone could tell me how to use them...

You can add a CD player or some other source. Then the missing sound will probably come back.

You could also karoke into a mic and feed it into the amp. You will certainly get sound.

instead of taking the pain of putting this post you might have as well ignored it... i was looking for an answer not a suggestion... guess you didnt notice the question marks on the title...

Many members ignored you ...evident from responses you got.....

Anyway you should thank spiro and others and shown some respect...

are you guys trying to prove that there was only one dumb guy who had the courtesy to give a decent answer to my question or are trying to excercise your humour skills?? either ways it is not helping...
come on guys!!
people here have questions... to some they might sound stupid... if you dont have the answer just ignore it rather than passing snide comments...

Rijuc:

HFV search is powered by Google. If you go to 'Advanced Search' and enter 'pre-amplifier' you will get some 500 odd threads on this topic. Believe me, any question you can think of has already been asked and replied to.

To answer your question regarding pre/power and 'other' amps, it all depends upon your budget. A good pre/power would cost in the range of Rs.1.5 lakhs. If you ready to spend that kind of money, we could give you more information.

Else look for a simple integrated amp that will meet your budget.

Cheers

if it was that easy then this forum would not have existed and you wouldnt have had a chance to post your easy solution!!

1st learn to ask question properly/specifically.Your question is not specific & so you need to read & then get back to us.

Last edited:

Why dont you give us details of your gear-amp-make, model, any other info, also for speakers? It may be easier for people to make suggestions after your respond, instead of stating that you have 60w amp and 100 w speakers.

If your amp is an integrated, then putting a pre may not be feasible.

what kind of amp do you have??
is it an integrated amp (this is one which will have both the pre and power amp as one unit) if this is the case u cud connect your spkrs directly to the unit, also do connect a CDP and get going

a pre amp is the controller ,u cud control the tones / balance/ volume

if, what u have is a power amp ,only then u need to buy a separate pre, coz a power block will not have any sort of controls

a power amp is the one which amplifys the signal fed to it via the source (cdp) controlled by the pre to the spkrs

hope it helps

Last edited:
First read from google ,from forum and then ask questions..

What is your source?
What is your budget

Does your existing amp has attachment for attaching pre or power?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back