PreProcessor: Emotiva UMC-200 vs Outlaw Model 975 vs?

How about Sound Cards like these, which supports HD audio decoding and 7.1 analog output. Quite interesting.

Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe

vAMWFzXcllp5ZRH7_500.jpg

Xonar-HDAV1.3-Deluxe_GD04.jpg

Claro Halo XT

haloxt.jpg

Ok so they use FedEx, but are you sure they give final landing price. I vaguely remember before buying caiman, I asked about xda1, they said they have no idea about duty. That was quite some time back. I guess I will shoot a mail to them to know the exact pricing if possible.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Yes they only use FedEx. For me fedex paid the duty and they will inform you. On delivery had to pay the duty. It was around 28% if I remember. Emotiva will not provide pricing including duty, only mrp and shipping.

I use a claro plus sound card from ht omega. Very nice one especially the analogue out. Claro halo should be as good as claro plus if not better. Their shipping charge is nominal 15$ I beleive. I am using it for more than 5 years.

Thanks. How does its performance compare with UMC-1. Does it have enough settings to tweak, such as crossover point/slope for each channel etc.

Also I always had the following doubt. Assuming you have connected multi-channel power amp directly to the sound card (which controls volume digitally) what happens if the volume is set to 100% due to a system issue and you play a movie without realizing it. Is it not a risk?

EDIT: No where it says Claro Halo XT supports TrueHD and DTSMA. What am I not seeing here?

Last edited:
I do not think HD sound is supported using SPDIF interface (due to bandwidth limitation). Most of the sound card have only SPDIF interface including CLARO HALO XT. You might need a sound card with HDMI interface or video card with HD audio support.

However if you use analogue 7 channel interface from sound card they it is up to the player on PC to decode HD audio and output as PCM in respective channels.

In my opinion the risk is same whether the volume is 100% in the PC or Pre-Amp / Processor resulting in very high volume and potential damage.

Sound card is used as DAC and UMC-1 as pre-amp and hence different functionality.

My objective of looking for sound card is to know if I can avoid UMC-200 like processors. Since it does not have cabinet, power supply, audio/video inputs, remote, USB, blah blah, it should give a comparable SQ quality for a much lesser price. I would be connecting the analog outputs directly to active speakers and the sub. The display will be connected directly to the graphic card.

From whatever little research I did, it appears that Claro Halo does not support TrueHD / DTSMA decoding. Only Asus HDAV1.3 deluxe does (but only with TMT software).

The only disadvantage of going for it is that I have to again change the cables, if I decide to listen music with PC-USB-external DAC- Pass B1 - Active speakers.

And yes, the volume risk seems to be a concern in connecting directly to the PC. In pre processor there is no such risk since it is reliable in remembering the last volume level.

My objective of looking for sound card is to know if I can avoid UMC-200 like processors. Since it does not have cabinet, power supply, audio/video inputs, remote, USB, blah blah, it should give a comparable SQ quality for a much lesser price. I would be connecting the analog outputs directly to active speakers and the sub. The display will be connected directly to the graphic card.

The volume control in windows will degrade the sound since you would loose bits as the volume is decreased.

The volume control in windows will degrade the sound since you would loose bits as the volume is decreased.

True. The sound card has no volume control of itself, may be on its control app?

BTW what's your opinion on this sound card thingy with multi channel anolog out. Does it make sense or i am better off paying more for proper prepro? Leave Marantz aside.

True. The sound card has no volume control of itself, may be on its control app?

BTW what's your opinion on this sound card thingy with multi channel anolog out. Does it make sense or i am better off paying more for proper prepro? Leave Marantz aside.

Santy
Using a SC does make sense on the price front. but there are some cons
1. Volume control
Since either windows / J river / XBMC etc would be used to control the volume you will loose precious bits Lowering the volume in software is accomplished by reducing bit depth. in turn reducing the amount of signal present which in turn affects S/N ratio You should it at max volume and adjust the level on your actives

2. Subwoofer Integration
Assuming you going to use your Velo Sub in your setup to get the added oomph for movies. Integrating it would be an issue

3. Room Correction :
you would have to rely on your ear or SPL meter. however considering your experience with HT / audio. This should not be too difficult

4. Source
Switching between sources would mean changing cables

Spending the extra quid for a standalone Processor makes sense IMO.

If you are seriously contemplating the UMC-200 or any other processor from the US.
I can have it transported into India for you without any customs/ international shipping etc
This would make the UMC or Outlaw or ?? affordable and hassle free

You can call me for further details :)

I can have it transported into India for you without any customs/ international shipping etc
This would make the UMC or Outlaw or ?? affordable and hassle free

You can call me for further details

Before I start getting PM's for other FM's. would like to make it clear that I have someone coming down from the US soon. So it can be hand carried into India.

Lagta hai Flash babu se dosti karni padegi :D :p :p :p ....

PS heh transportation ka offer pm se karna chahiye tha...

Last edited:
Exactly; I am worried that you must have already got PMs summing up to 300 kg and 10000 USD :eek:hyeah::lol:

Since I am late, I hope you won't consider first PMed, first served :D

Exactly; I am worried that you must have already got PMs summing up to 300 kg and 10000 USD :eek:hyeah::lol:

Since I am late, I hope you won't consider first PMed, first served :D

:lol::lol::lol: Yeah I guess it is topping at close to 300 kgs in a matter of minutes. by EOD it would have probably touched a Tonne

The offer stands for you Santy and one other FM who is looking to procure a mid-high end DAC

Lolz now considering the main topic should Santy go for the emotica one only or the av7005... As I myself have only heard the av7005 I can't really comment which is better... Btw wht is the price diff between the emotica & 7005 refurbished... If the diff is $200 I feel is a no brainer for the 7005 but if the diff is like $500 then Santy would have to consider a lot coz recently he has made a lot of investments in his system & I guess he wouldn't mind saving a few bucks...

I think av7005 is around 1lac+ in India (not sure) so $949 makes me green with envy... Santy yeh sab upgrades hi janne ke baad mein I really need to visit again :D...

Consider this, UMC-200 is 600 USD. AV7005 refurbished is 950 USD. Add 100 USD for stepdown. Difference is 450 USD. If bargained I think it should be available at 70k in India with B &W (read somewhere in our forum). Emotiva landing cost (thanks to Flash) will be less than 50% of it ~33k. Marantz is leagues ahead no doubts, but I have already broke my piggy bank recently. Also, in worst case if caught:D, I pay less customs for E than M. No warranty on M also is another concern. Atleast E can be RMAed I guess.

Back