PreProcessor: Emotiva UMC-200 vs Outlaw Model 975 vs?

OT but just look at this atom bomb :eek:

909denon.bac.jpg

Now that you loved the backside, have a look at the front :D

Denon AVP-A1HDCI & POA-A1HDCI

909denon.1.jpg

Am ordering Emotiva through Avenue Sound! Much cheaper than FedEx which Emotiva is using for international shipments.

Sadly, Flash bhai did not respond to several calls/sms/PMs. Incomprehensible, mysterious and pitch dark silence! :confused: I had to save what is left of my dignity, that I believe is worth more than a few $$$ :D

Finally...
It arrived last week.
Someone carried it for me from US
Someone whom I never met or talked to.
Came forward himself to do me this favour.
Responded to every query and request from me at light speed.
I am grateful to him. And also thankful to this forum for introducing me such nice people.:clapping:

And I am loving the sound. It is plain awesome.
The soundstage is so wide and the sound is so airy and crispy.

Pics here

Gratzies Santy!!! definitely sweet to look at.. wondering how would they sound!!!

Last edited:
Doc... when are you planning to visit my place. What more do you expect from me to make it worthwhile to drop in...? :p
Finally got the chance to listen the system.Emotiva & powered speakers sounded terrific.The sound was very powerful & so the detailings.Dynamic level was great & nothing short of soundstage.We compared Emotiva pre with Yamaha 667 pre & difference was clear.Yamaha lacked 3D soundstage & little congested.
There was a surprise discovery.The source also played important roll.HTPC sounded much better & helped to improve even Yamaha by some margin.When we played DTS music from Himedia(MP),sound was soft with no pace & punch.Even Velodyne sounded dull.No doubt Emotiva is better,but source/perfect Bitstreaming is equally important.I am sure with the quality system which Santy has,he will not visit Cinema Hall very often.:clapping:

Last edited:
+1 To Spiro

Apart from Audio, even the Video thru the HTPC looked slightly better than the Hi-Media. It just goes to show that though a Media Player may be an easier solution, the HTPC is a better solution on the whole if you have the space. The Hi-Media has great reviews and I own 2 of them but somehow - somewhere the HTPC appealed to me more that day.

Santy has got a great system going for him and there is no doubt about it. The sound was really room filling and forward sounding with great detailing and separation. The setup combined with his PJ really transformed the environment into a mini theater.

The emotiva with the powered speakers were great no doubt and even the caiman with the powered speakers sounded very musical. Though, the setup sounded very dynamic and musical, some tracks like Indian Summer and some other tracks (don't remember which since we played so many that day) sounded a little lifeless. Here the Yamaha + Rotel 5Ch Amp + Wharfedale scored over. But, on the whole, Santy's setup towered over most of the media we played on it so a few tracks sounding dull seems negligible in the big picture.

Even the small surround powered speakers were very detailed. They can easily be used as a small bedroom setup for stereo. For once I realized that day hat each and every bit in the chain makes so much of a difference in a good setup. Even the type of wire used for the Sub can change the listening dynamics in a major way.

Thanks to Santy for hosting us and letting us play with his setup. A good 6 hrs or more well spent indeed. I don't think he will be changing / upgrading his setup anytime soon :)

Thanks Spiro, Coolestone (and Darshan) for dropping in and carrying loads of gear with you. It was a wonderful evening. Enjoyed various comparos.:clapping:

Though I did not listen critically, the variation you observed might be because of the EmoQ calibration. Though its not bad and certainly not as good as the latest MultiEq Audyssey; it should have been turned off atleast for music. After the meet, I put it on flat, and there was a slight improvement in the texture. Otherwise there is nothing really in the chain that would change the presentation between tracks since the monitors have a flat frequency response throughout.

After the meet, I changed the digital coaxial cable to standard RCA and it helped improve the sound of the sub quite a bit. The lows got extended further and the boxiness reduced. Should have done before.

I was impressed with the Rotel 5 ch power amp; seems to have loads of power under its hood. While the wharf 9.2s are still my favorite budget speakers, the S30s were too good for the rears. And yes, the Yamaha preouts delivered a compressed sound lacking airiness and depth. I too agree that the contrast and color of picture was better in HTPC so I am glad that the cost of the graphic card was justified some more.:)

Looking forward to meet more often.

+ 2

Well said Spiro & Cool

First of all, I would like to thank Santy for his selfless approach as ever.

Santy in one word, "You Have a Hell of a System" !!! :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping:

We have auditioned many HT and Music Setups but very few has came up with flying colours. Yours is one very promising and indeed enjoyable. Your Upgrade has paid off.

Although the comparison of Wharf 9.2 and Active Monitors which Santy own is not fair (Almost 6 times MRP for a pair), Active Speakers were detailed, clear & crisp.

Most unbelievable part was the bass reproduction from the size of the speakers. I would not just buy such small speakers for serious music listening. But I was so so wrong. Amt of cleanliness and depth of bass this speaker produced was just unbelievable.

Secondly, I realised that entire system matched very well. HTPC sounded better than Media Player but even Emotiva sounded better than Yamaha with same setup in the chain.

I personally felt Emotiva sounded better than Pass B1 as pre. Found B1 was very polite and lifeless with Actives. Detailed Highs were also missing. Nothing against B1, Just my personal choice. Wharfs 9.2 were sounding very okay at Santy's place with B1 + Rotel or Emotiva + Rotel. Source being same HTPC and same Caiman DAC.

But here's the cache. Same B1 + Rotel Power + Wharf 9.2 sounds very good (wonders I can say) at Thecoolestone's place.... Only difference, source is Sony BDP. I would say Source, DAC, Pre, Power & Speakers everything plays some part for good or bad in the entire chain.

I dont think you need upgrade in your Sub. When tweaked correctly, it was doing a gr88 job. If you hav to upgrade, be ready to spend a lot. :p . Only upgrade should be a DAC.

Not to forget the latest invention of Santy's Camera with upgraded Lens. Again One Hell of a camera. Above photo was clicked under almost dark room conditions. Santy, Please add some more photos... Not the Modelling one :D

We are very happy for you Santy..... Enjoy !!!!

Last but not the least the Stands on which the Actives Rest. Made by our FM, Magma. Beautifully made. Solid, heavy and elegant finish. :clapping::clapping:

Yes,you all must have heard Tight Bass,but first time I can say that we experienced tight Treble too.That is very accurate & fast beats.eg.with "Jab tak hai jaan"dance piece(DTSMA),the sound of drum & stick was punchy.We could make the difference when we shifted to Yamaha as pre.Soundstage was big & SW too sounded tight.
Thanks Santy for wonderful eve.

Nice setup.
checked this thread after a long time. Congratulations, Santy.

Thanks Manoj. You helped a lot.
A few better pics are in Actives thread.
BTW Where have you been ?
It looks like you are dedicating maximum time to your family in this trip. :)

Santy,

I will check out the other thread.

I spent most of my time at my village with family and relatives. Not a day goes without something happening in India. There have been weddings, engagements, deaths etc. Been through all in last 11 weeks or so. Besides deaths (not in close relations), we enjoyed our stay. Now we are back in US. Good trip overall.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back